mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Santa Cruz Waiting Period???

Hi guys I ordered a 2018 Santa Cruz chameleon 29 R build February 3rd through my LBS. They said the expected shipping date would be March 3rd (4 days ago). So I called today to get some tracking information and the bike shop said it will be expected to ship March 23rd.

I dont mind waiting on a bike, I expected that especially since spring is coming. BUT.. why do they keep changing the shipping date.. how many more times will it change? Has anyone else had this trouble with Santa Cruz? And I wish the bike shop would keep me up to date with any postponements as itís not exactly a cheap purchase.

I like to support the local bike shop, but backcountry.com has 3 XL Chameleons in stock tax free and would of been at my door in 3-5 days. Even with that Iíd rather spend the extra money to help them out because I love going into bike shops and the nostalgia of it.

So, I guess what Iím asking has anyone else had a situation like this or one even worse?

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Iíd love to be in your shoes waiting on a new sweet ride like that.

Hope that cheered you up.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    no idea, but its a hella nice bike. i demoed it in Santa Cruz. thing LOVES to haul ass!

SS Pusher Man
    SC warrantied my Highball Al the beginning of Feb. I requested a Chameleon, but same thing....they weren't expecting any L frames for a while.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Because the Chinese factory is making other bikes (or other companies bikes) right now.
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    It could also be any component they're waiting on from a supplier. There's a big demand right now. My recently purchased HTLT took about 3 weeks to come in.

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Had the same issue waiting for my Nomad X01.

The shop ended up building one up themselves when the SC's status report stalled out at "ready to ship" with no tracking number.

mtbr member
    Slow boat from China.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Stock in a container in a port somewhere

since 4/10/2009
    Ship dates get pushed back CONSTANTLY. Sometimes it's a supplier issue (I remember a bunch of containers of Shimano parts got knocked off a ship in a storm and sank. Instant Shimano shortage). Sometimes the container gets stuck in port (I remember a dockworkers' strike awhile ago causing problems). Sometimes a batch of frames is rejected in QC. There are a million reasons why ship dates get pushed back.

This happens with every manufacturer. Be glad you ordered now, when frames are still being made, instead of late summer, when the manufacturers are selling down this year's stock and preparing for next year's frames. You'd be calling every Santa Cruz dealer in the country trying to hunt down that bike in someone's stock, or waiting until the next year's models are available.

Try preordering a bike that hasn't been made yet. I did that for my last bike. Had to wait several months for it, and the ship date got pushed back months from the original quoted ship date. And yeah, others have had it worse. Order from a custom builder with a high demand and you might be waiting more than a year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Lizard29 View Post
    ..Has anyone else had this trouble with Santa Cruz? And I wish the bike shop would keep me up to date with any postponements as itís not exactly a cheap purchase. .

So, I guess what Iím asking has anyone else had a situation like this or one even worse?
    I had two friends buy SC Highballs last year. Both waited a long time to get their bikes. Shops pushed out the date by at least on month on both bikes. Different shops too. I think SC is just slow on getting orders out and this not a shop issue. They did get their bikes, but it took a while. Neither shop liked being late either. I forget how long it took, but 2-3 months is what comes to mind.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I had two friends buy SC Highballs last year. Both waited a long time to get their bikes. Shops pushed out the date by at least on month on both bikes. Different shops too. I think SC is just slow on getting orders out and this not a shop issue. They did get their bikes, but it took a while. Neither shop liked being late either. I forget how long it took, but 2-3 months is what comes to mind.
    Doesn't matter what brand it is. If an order is placed and the frame is not CURRENTLY IN STOCK, the ship dates are just suggestions. This happens with distributors like QBP, too. It's actually LESS common for an item to arrive at the warehouse on the day they originally say it will.

When I worked at a shop and dealt with orders like this, I always made sure to impress upon folks that this is what they say NOW, but it's likely that the ship date will get pushed back between now and the date they suggest, and it could possibly extend the wait time by a month or more. In fact, that date they provide is a good time for the customer to call the shop and inquire about the order, to find out if the date got pushed back or what.

There have even been times where I've waited for an item (as a customer), and when it actually arrived in stock, the shop put it in their "cart" for an order that day. But by the end of the day when the shop went to submit the order, the item was sold out.

SS Pusher Man
    A friend of mine ordered a Stigmata late last year....kept getting pushed back. Turns out it was 1 SRAM part that was holding the whole thing up. After 3 months, he canceled and ordered up something else.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Lizard29 View Post
    Hi guys I ordered a 2018 Santa Cruz chameleon 29 R build February 3rd through my LBS. They said the expected shipping date would be March 3rd (4 days ago).
    That seems like the date I was told back in December when I was looking to get a Chameleon. None of the stores around me had any 29 R's in stock in Large. Luckily the guys at The Hub in Brevard said they would would swap out a 27.5+ in large for me. Had me rolling the next day. The only differences between the two are the droupouts and wheels. Might be an option if the store has a 29 in stock and a 27.5+ in your size.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Yeah thanks guys, I guess I got a little flustered itís my first time ordering from a manufacturer. Iím pretty thankful to be able to get a nice bike so Iíll just relax and be patient itíll be worth it. My shop had 2 large frames a 27.5+ D build and a large 29R build. They were just a bit small, Iím 6í3. I have a large giant revel 2 thatís too small but keeps me riding while I wait! But thanks from for all the info, this is my first post on here, pretty cool how responsive it is!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I am having a LBS swap everything from a built XL 29 R to a L frame for me. SC told them end of April to get a built L and I cannot wait. Cost a little to have the swap done but worth it IMO. You may want to try that if you don't want to wait.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Forget about the bike for now, it'll get there when it gets there and there isn't anything your LBS can do about it. It sounds to me they (SC) only pushed back the date one time, so I wouldn't say this is a recurring thing. If it gets pushed back again however I would call SC and see what the deal is

mtbr member
    I heard there is also a wait for the Reserve wheels at the moment - supposedly they are waiting for I9 hubs. I'm gonna check today after work with my local SC dealer. Thinking of getting a set of new 29er wheels.
    I have waited a little as a week for a 5010 a few yrs ago, to 2 months for my Chameleon frame last summer. The waiting can be a drag, but its usually worth it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    It's that time of year. Early spring is when new bikes start leaving factories and working their way into shops. I orders a Hightower in March of '16 and I didn't have it until early May.
    2016 Santa Cruz Hightower 29er
    2016 Chromag Surface 27.5+
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2017 Motobecane Lurch FS 26 fat

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    SC makes a great product. Sux waiting but worth it. I have a 2017 V10 I had to wait for; I know the feeling.

Bear with it. Once you have her youíll be glad you waited.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Still waiting so far itís been 72 days. Still keeps getting pushed back. Iíll definitely be looking in other states or other dealers next time buying a bike if my local bike shop doesnít have it in stock. Iíd rather take a little road trip than wait 3+ months for $2,500+ purchase.

mtbr member
    Friday June 30th 2017, ordered a Tallboy C in the R build, 29" wheels. Since SC had no more 2017's in stock I had to wait for a 2018. I was leaving town and wouldn't be back until the 11th. Figured I'd be riding a new bike mid to end July.

By early August the shop I was dealing with was nice enough to let me take a bike home until mine arrived. Early October received a phone call. Four months here.

Turns right to go left
    From the Google:

The average travel time for a container vessel from Asia to the U.S. is between two weeks and a month.

Documentation, customs clearance, handling and inland shipping can add 17 to 33 days to the total shipping time from most emerging market regions, and another 6 days once goods reach the United States.

All this after the factory is ready to ship...

CEO Product Failure
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    From the Google:

The average travel time for a container vessel from Asia to the U.S. is between two weeks and a month.

Documentation, customs clearance, handling and inland shipping can add 17 to 33 days to the total shipping time from most emerging market regions, and another 6 days once goods reach the United States.

All this after the factory is ready to ship...
    Also, storms in the Pacific (i.e. the tsunami that hit Japan a few years back) and labor strikes in the Panama Canal can also delay ocean freight.

This is not a SC Cruz issue. I've experienced it with Specialized and with a recent pedal purchase. I ordered the pedals and two weeks later still hadn't received them. Contacted the seller who contacted the manufacturer who stated they were waiting on inventory. Ah well...it was a nice surprise when the pedals showed up a month late and I had stopped waiting for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Iím in the exact same boat. Ordered waaaayyy back February for a medium chameleon 27.5+ and Iím still waiting. Originally ordered through backcountry but when the date got pushed I cancelled and switched to a local bike shop. As of right now Iím told it ps shipped and will arrive next Monday. This is the longest Iíve ever wait for something for sure.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by scyrway View Post
    Iím in the exact same boat. Ordered waaaayyy back February for a medium chameleon 27.5+ and Iím still waiting. Originally ordered through backcountry but when the date got pushed I cancelled and switched to a local bike shop. As of right now Iím told it ps shipped and will arrive next Monday. This is the longest Iíve ever wait for something for sure.
    By the time you get it the new geometry will be old.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Hopefully we both get ours next Monday, still waiting 🙄. Been riding an old giant revel 26Ē rim brake bike and itís going to kill me on down hill decents!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Just got mine today and have it mostly built up! Will do the fine tuning tomorrow and ride it Wednesday. Good luck man, I think it was worth the wait so far. However this is a second bike for me.