1946:2006:2066

the saga of the phantom creak

The last few days my bike developed a creak. It only happened as I was mounting it as it settled into its sag. Then it started happening as I walked the bike and the rear wheel was bounced by a bump or the edge of stairs.

It sounded unsettling. Sounded like it was coming from the headset. If I grabbed the handle bars and bounced the front there was no creak. If I pushed down on the saddle it was like creeek-crickety-creak. WTF is going on.

Not matter what angle I tried to hear it from, it would sound like it was coming from either the headset, the shock pivots or the suspension pivots. So, today, Sunday, I spent about four hours tracking it down.

Serviced the headset - still creaking. Serviced all suspension pivots, that is took the whole suspension apart, cleaned all parts, greased all bolts etc, re-assembled. Still creaking. Still sounds like it's coming from either the headset, the shock pivots or the suspension pivots.

In frustration, I grabbed the bike in a way I don't normally do. My right hand fell upon the top tube rear cable stop, brushing the rear deraileur cable section that runs from the top tube to the chain stay. CREAK.

My ego did a face plant.

I gently moved the cable at the cable stop and was able to make it sound like I needed a new headset. I continued and was able to make my bike sound like a song bird with laryngitis. A couple of shots of WD40 and my bike was song free.

I've read many a post of others trying to chase down a phantom creak and chuckled.

I now stand before all of you, humbled to the core.
    Last edited by FireDog46; 04-05-2010 at 09:29 AM. Reason: reformatted for clarity...is this better guys?
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

mtbr member
    If you go back and break all that up into neat and tidy paragraphs I will read it and offer useful advice. Until then, that is all the advice I will give.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by FireDog46
    The last few days my bike developed a creak. It only happened as I was mounting it
    as it settled into its sag. Then it started happenening as I walked the bike and the
    rear wheel was bounced by a bump or the edge of stairs. It sounded unsettling.

Sounded like it was coming from the headset. If I grabbed the handle bars and
    bounced the front there was no creak.
    If I pushed down on the saddle it was like
    creeek-crickety-creak.

WTF is going on. Not matter what angle I tried to hear it
    from, it would sound like it was coming from either the headset, the shock pivots
    or the suspension pivots
    So, today, Sunday, I spent about four hours tracking
    it down. Serviced the headset - still creaking. Service all suspension pivots, that is
    took the whole suspension apart, cleaned all parts, greased all bolts etc, re-assembled.
    Still creaking. Still sounds like it's coming from either the headset, the shock pivots
    or the suspension pivots.

In frustration, I grabbed the bike in a way I don't normally
    do. My right hand fell upon the stop tube rear cable stop, brushing the rear
    deraileur cable section that runs from the top tube to the chain stay. CREAK.
    My ego did a face plant. I gently moved the cable at the cable stop and was able
    to make it sound like I needed a new headset. I continued and was able to make
    my bike sound like a song bird with laryngitis. A couple of shots of WD40 and
    my bike was song free.

I've read many a post of others trying to chase down a phantom creak and chuckled.

I now stand before all of you, humbled to the core.
    Edited by Kimo, for the English Teacher among us..................
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    If you go back and break all that up into neat and tidy paragraphs I will read it and offer useful advice. Until then, that is all the advice I will give.
    Luchesi cannot tell Amontillado from Sherry!
    The Cask Of Amontillado
    Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    Edited by Kimo, for the English Teacher among us..................
    the saga of how to paragraph properly

PS:
    you forgot to fix a spelling mistake
    it's not a "stop tube"...it's a "top tube"

PPS:
    I'm not going to fix it...
    leave it for the grammar police

PPPS...if there is such a thing
    what a day...
    4 hours chasing down 4 second fix
    Easter Sunday dinner
    too much vino and food
    has left me sleepy
    but sleepless
    it's 3:57 AM EST
    Last edited by FireDog46; 04-05-2010 at 12:59 AM.

bumpity bump

just being provocative
    much like the humping dogs
    that wouldn't share the trail