Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PA

Safe storage for bikes while tent camping

Hey guys/gals,

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to the Asheville, NC area in a little over a week. We will be in the area for 8 days and plan to get lots of riding in while there. We also are hoping to do some hiking but this leaves the issue of bike storage while we are out. I certainly don't trust chaining them to a tree or leaving them unattended in my truck.

We are planning to ask the campground owners if we may pay a small fee to store the bikes inside their office while we are out. If that doesn't work out, does anyone think a local bike shop would be willing to offer temporary safe storage for a few hours? We are willing to pay a "babysitting" fee for the convenience if necessary of course.

Does anyone have another suggestion/idea for safe storage?

Thanks in advance!

The Original Suspect
    Wheel them a mile up the trail you are hiking and then lock them to a tree off trail. Hikers wont be hiking with bolt cutters and if you place them good, no one will notice them.

Big Mac
    Where are you camping? Why can't you lock them in your truck?

****** to the ski hills
    keep them under your sleeping bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    http://thewoodgallery.blogspot.ca/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Hook it up with the owners, or just pull the wheels and throw them in the front of the truck.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

PA
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Where are you camping? Why can't you lock them in your truck?
    I could lock them in my truck, but that won't come close to stopping a determined thief. The bikes could equal a pretty good payout for someone who wanted to steal them, so I'm not willing to leave them unattended in my truck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I think I'd be looking for a less sketchy 'hood to camp in.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I have been living on my bike riding around and camping for 11 years after I retired and never once had anyone mess with my bike or trailer in the bush or at a camp site. I did once have a German man at a camp site back over my YAK and drive off like I would be cool with it, but seriously that was thw worst that has happened.

Any encounters of attempted theft towards my bike has always been on a beach when I am metal detecting, I keep the rig within eye shot of me while I MD but have had a few times where people claimed they thought it was their friends bike or that they saw it wash up. Now I have seen very few fatbikes in my 11 years riding around here and even fewer Moonlanders; but clearly I have missed each one that stole its self or washed up on the beach. Regardless, it just makes the beating that much more funny.

When I camp at a camp site I secure my bike and trailer to a tree near my tent. When I am in the bush camping I do not secure it.

I had one time in Switzerland when I was camping in the bush to come back and find someone patching my tube. I was only about 200 yards away down the hill doing some gold panning and when I came back up I saw two men and two women also set up for expedition riding patching my tube. I just walked up sort of in shock and watched the person. After a few seconds the man turned around and asked me if this was my site and I said yes and that is my bike.

I told him that I was going to get around to patching the tube my self in a couple days when I needed the bike but for now I was just gold panning and did not need a bike for that. The man told me that he came down the hill out too fast and that his trailer kicked out clipping my back tire and he thought he popped it. He told me that he was wondering what kind of cheap tube I had from only that but when he pulled the tube he saw I had 17 patches already on the tube. LOL

He even offered me a new tube, but I showed him that I had two new ones and was just waiting until I really needed them.

From my experience living on my bike people who will mess with your stuff at a camp site or in the bush will ignore the bike and go through your gear, or destroy your camp site. This has not happened to me yet but to others that ride with me.

I would say just lock it up on a tree and leave it at that.
    De oppresso liber

PA
    Thanks for the suggestions/insight so far. While at the campground I plan to just lock the bikes up to my truck or a tree. It's while we are away for several hours at a time that I am concerned about. Perhaps a little overly paranoid, but I can't afford a new bike if mine were to go missing.

One ring to mash them all
    Name:  bikelove.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  40.9 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    That is hilarious!

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

mtbr member
    Back to the OP...

First thing I would do is find out if you can lock your bikes up with the owners. I don't think I would just leave them without locking them.

You need to get a few good U-locks, not a cable. You need to lock the bikes to something that can't be easily cut. A gas/propane hard line to the trailer is a real nice deterrent, but the owners may not agree to that. Take off the front wheel and lock the whole thing tightly together. Remove the seat & seatpost and lock it in the truck.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

MTBR Member
    Maybe try posting on the NC board. Some WNC folks who are familiar with the area might have more direct options.

banned
    Jun 2007
    I just keep the bikes on the rack, and locked. Never had an issue camping, or at a hotel.
    Would be far more concerned while in town grabbing dinner.
    Homeowner's/renters insurance should cover the bike's full value, always best to check first.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by HitmenOnlyInc View Post
    Wheel them a mile up the trail you are hiking and then lock them to a tree off trail. Hikers wont be hiking with bolt cutters and if you place them good, no one will notice them.
    Good plan. I would add to remove the front wheels and lock them further down the trail. That way, a thief couldn't even roll them out.

PA

This I like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Lock up bike inside the truck, like to the steering wheel.

Big Mac

Safe storage for bikes while tent camping

Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    I could lock them in my truck, but that won't come close to stopping a determined thief. The bikes could equal a pretty good payout for someone who wanted to steal them, so I'm not willing to leave them unattended in my truck.
    Where? I know of no campgrounds that are that sketchy. I've left bikes in my truck many, many times before. I've never had, or even heard of a problem like what you're expecting.
    Last edited by mbmb65; 1 Week Ago at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    Where? It know of no campgrounds that are that sketchy. I've left bikes in my truck many, many times before. I've never had, or even heard of a problem like what you're expecting.
    Me neither, and I've left bikes at campgrounds a lot. Just a big cable, lock 'em all together around a tree or picnic table and go on about your business. I often leave thousands of dollars worth of camping gear, bikes, or whatever unattended all day, and haven't had a problem.

If I do, there is always insurance.

Good luck!
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I totally have an extra spot for her in my tent.
    De oppresso liber

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    I totally have an extra spot for her in my tent.
    Yes that's ridiculous, he could at least cleared a space on the other side of the bike, for her. She'll catch the death of a cold out there.

The nerve of him.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Ariolimax columbianus
    abus locks?

mtbr member
    Are you camping/hiking in a state or federal park? Do they allow people in after hours? I camped at Denali for two nights and just put my bike in some bushes next to the road. Of course I didn't see a single human being other than my riding buddy until the tour buses started up the next morning. And anyone who would steal it and ride it out of the park deserves to keep it, if just for their determination
    *Not a real mountain biker

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I used to think the backcountry was safe for gear. I was camping and moved my snowshoes out of the vestibule to cook. The next morning they were gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Good suggestions. I like the idea of wheeling them up the trail a bit as not many hikers carry bolt cutters.

One or two of the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit locks with their motorcycle chain might ease your concerns. While no lock is unbreakable this chain is big enough that you would either need a 5 foot long bolt cutter or an angle grinder to get through it in a timely fashion. Not gear typically seen at a campsite.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast