mtbr member

Safe to remove stick from tire? They are slimed...

On the way to trail, caught a sharp small stick in tire, maybe about 1/4" thick, no idea how far in it is. Tires are slimed, seem to be holding air. Safe to take it out and keep riding, or leave it in and ride back home? Not enough time to patch, sun is setting. Never dealt with anything bigger than a tack or goathead before, so I'm concerned...

Help, mtbr!

NONDURO
    May as well keep on riding it. The stick might be helping to keep the air in the tire. Best of luck, race the sun; it is setting!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

The larger piece broke off as soon as I took off, but the tire held air for the rest of the ride with the pokey part embedded. I got it home, plucked out the stick.... hisssssssss.....

I am starting to wonder if the LBS put the slime in that they charged me for. No goo splattering or anything...

NONDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikemaya View Post
    Thanks!

The larger piece broke off as soon as I took off, but the tire held air for the rest of the ride with the pokey part embedded. I got it home, plucked out the stick.... hisssssssss.....

I am starting to wonder if the LBS put the slime in that they charged me for. No goo splattering or anything...
    Glad to know things turned out for you in a semi-positive way!
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Did you point the puncture toward the ground to let gravity do its thang?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

OSCMTB
    Thanks!

Slime sucks. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Did you point the puncture toward the ground to let gravity do its thang?
    Yup.

When I opened it up to patch it, there was a bit of goo oozing out of the hole, but it didn't seal it. The hole was TINY too. The goo helped me to find the hole when I was patching it

I have had really good luck with slime in the past, so this was disappointing :/

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Yup.

When I opened it up to patch it, there was a bit of goo oozing out of the hole, but it didn't seal it. The hole was TINY too. The goo helped me to find the hole when I was patching it

I have had really good luck with slime in the past, so this was disappointing :/
    I've never used Slime, only Stan's, in some cheap Cheng Shin tires. I ran over an old steel fence post that was embedded in the dirt, and it ripped a hole ~1/4" wide in the tire. Obviously, the Stan's didn't patch up such a big hole, and it kept hissing and spitting. But then I decided to see what would happen if I pinched the hole shut, and the Stan's managed to patch it up in a couple seconds! I rode that tire without issues for about a year before I got rid of the bike.

There's my fun tip of the day for you: pinch the larger holes shut so that the Stan's can do its job.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Ahahaha! My tires are, in fact, cheap Cheng Shins!

I will remember the Stans for next time Just got a big bottle of slime for my build, not expecting to go through it in any time soon considering I am running DH tubes in it

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    Slime sucks. Seriously.
    Big time. I've had a few different instances of changing a customer's flat and they've had a slime tube blow out and completely cover the inside of the tire and rim with slime. Not fun to deal with.