mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Saddle Suggestions

So, my wife is a horrible geometry to fit just about anything. She is 4'9", short legs, long torso. Since we can't afford a custom frame right now, she has a step-through Raleigh that we got from our LBS. However, when she is standing off the saddle she has almost no room between the tip of the saddle and the down-tube of her bike. Since she was also telling me that the saddle was chafing the inside of her legs, I am going to try to solve both problems by getting her a narrower saddle, and a seat-post with more setback to give her some room.

She is NOT a huge biker, and getting her to the bike store to try something out can be a challenge, alas. Especially since the only GOOD LBS we have been able to find is a good hour drive. Any suggestions on a saddle and/or seatpost I might try her on? I have no problems mailordering something to try, provided we can return it if it doesn't work.

Cycle Psycho
    Quote Originally Posted by evandy View Post
    when she is standing off the saddle she has almost no room between the tip of the saddle and the down-tube of her bike.
    This makes me visualize the seatpost is slammed all the way in, and her frame is too big for her?

Oh, wait - I think I understand. Her body is getting stuck between the saddle and (down?) tube? Sounds like her Effective Top Tube Length is too small/short.

Long torso, huh? Since you can't get a frame right now, move the saddle back further on its rails, or get a "set-back" seatpost - and you can try a longer stem up front.

Otherwise, the women's specific Brooks B-17 and Flyer are good for the t'aint.

mtbr member
    +1 for the brooks suggestion. I got my lady the aged leather flyer, springs and no break-in period. She complained previously about the fit of her older saddle as well as chaffing. The saddle isn't more narrow, but rather shorter and keeps the width in the rear for comfort. The saddle is meant to be used for riding in a more upright position, handlebar higher than the saddle, so keep that in mind.

There is also the B18, with ladylike embossed flowers, but that may require a change in seat post and/or clamp.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 05-08-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: additional info
    No fuss with the MUSS