mtbr member
    Jul 2006

New question here. Saddle : Specialized Avatar Gel vs. Something from Terry

Hey all,

Bent the Ti-alloy rails of my Bontrager-something saddle. Had only had it about 2 months! So I'm back in the game for a new saddle. I was looking at the Specialized Avatar Gel and some model from Terry. I've checked the reviews section... just wanted to check in to see if anyone out there has any opinions one way or another. The Terrys seem to be more expensive (msrp that is). Oh yeah, I've got to have the space so the blood can flow to the twig.

TIA.

Oh yeah - and the Avatar comes in three different widths... any thoughts on that?

mtbr member
    Specialized has some of the best saddles going IMO. I ride the Toupe on my Roubaix and the Rival on both my commuter and MTB all 3 saddles in the 143mm width that the "ass-o-meter" suggested for me. I also rode the Avatar for a year and it is also a very nice saddle...the only reason I have the Toupe on my Roubaix now is for the 200g weight savings.

That said IMO you should look at the Rival if this is for a MTB. It is a little more comfortable for the upright riding position...if you are racing XC then the Avatar would be a fine pick.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 99klein
    Hey all,

Bent the Ti-alloy rails of my Bontrager-something saddle. Had only had it about 2 months! So I'm back in the game for a new saddle. I was looking at the Specialized Avatar Gel and some model from Terry. I've checked the reviews section... just wanted to check in to see if anyone out there has any opinions one way or another. The Terrys seem to be more expensive (msrp that is). Oh yeah, I've got to have the space so the blood can flow to the twig.

TIA.

Oh yeah - and the Avatar comes in three different widths... any thoughts on that?
    I was leafing through a copy of Men's Journal at the barber shop the other day and came across an article rating different saddles in relation to how well they keep blood flowing to that region. They rated Terry the best out of the 5 saddles they tested. They liked the Avatar, but felt it was awfully firm, and possibly uncomfortable for longer rides.

zon
    Scofflaw Mountain Biker
    I love the Terry saddles, no pain, numbness or discomfort whatsoever. My favorite is the Leberator Ti Race. been riding it now for about 7 months with no issues.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    "Ass-o-meter"? And where might I find this "Ass-o-meter" to meter my ass and advise me properly?

mtbr member
    another Terry Liberator Ti Race Gel here. It's the best for my wide a$$.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hey all,
    I was looking at the Specialized Avatar Gel and some model from Terry.

I've tried both of these saddles. I'm still using the Terry Fly. The Specialized saddle is in a cabinet in my garage alongside all of the other saddles that didn't quite work out. (Actually, the Specialized saddle is just about my least favorite of the lot.)

That said, you won't really know which saddle is going to work for you until you try it out for a while. I tried something like seven saddles before settling on the Terry Fly. Some I only rode for a few weeks, others for many months.

Regarding the three widths for the Avatar (and the Alias)... I think this is a great idea. Your Specialized dealer will have a special measuring device to help decide which width is right for you. Of course, there may be something else about the shape or padding that might not make it the right saddle for you.

Best of luck with your search...

mtbr member
    "Ass-o-meter"? And where might I find this "Ass-o-meter" to meter my ass and advise me properly?
    At your local Specialized dealer of course. Just go in there and tell them you are looking for a saddle and would like to sit on their ass-o-meter. They will know exactly of what you speak. Of course that isn't the official name of the device but I know of several Specialized dealerships that all call it that.

mtbr member
    I just bought an Avatar Gel this weekend. I actually bought the Alias first, but found it too firm. I traded it in for the Avatar Gel. My ass measured 130mm on the Ass-o-meter, which was just inbetween the small and medium sized saddles. I went with the small. So far so good. the padding is a bit light on the Avatar, but it is soft and cushy compared to the Alias.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah, its for an XC MTB.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    At your local Specialized dealer of course. Just go in there and tell them you are looking for a saddle and would like to sit on their ass-o-meter. They will know exactly of what you speak. Of course that isn't the official name of the device but I know of several Specialized dealerships that all call it that.
    its not an ass o meter its a Buttometer

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    tried all the saddles mentioned above and the wtb line, #1 for me is the wtb Devo it looks like it wouldnt be comfortable but its good all day. and light too

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Among all the saddles I have tried, the Specialized Avatar/Alias and the only Terry I have tried (Ti Race) are among my favorites. They all felt good from day.

However, only your own tucchus will know for sure...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just switch to Specialized Rival BG. I can't believe I suffered for years on a WTB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Terry Fly Didn't Work

I read the reviews and I tried out the Fly from Terry, I liked it , Ti rails, Italian craftsman hand made, lovely soft leopard skin grain, bottom line my ass just didn't sit well on it, I tried to tweak the adjustment of the saddle, sorry to say it just didn't fit, wonderful quality, just didn't fit. Thrilled to say Performance Bike 30 day exchange worked for me. I returned the Fly after 33 days and 80 miles, and I'm happy to say my ass loves the WTB Rocket I took in exchange. Nothing against the Fly, but too painful for a light ass
    like mine, pain in the sit bones. Don't know about Specialized saddle, but I believe their products are among the best. My .02, Good ride.

mtbr member

Ago old question....

... has been in my mind cuz my arse keeps reminding it

Depends on your shape and size, bike, use and riding style.

My G/F is getting a Terry Butterfly next week. I will get a Rocket V after days of thinking about that long nose on the Terry Fly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i use the avatar gel. took about a week of riding for my arse to get used to it but after that it's probably the most comfy saddle i've ever sat upon. as ever ymmv.