Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saddle Sores

5K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  royalty 
#1 ·
I'm starting to get saddle sores, have bought a new seat (Fysic Gobi), I have new shorts with good padding, I'm rubbing Assos arse cream into my arse before riding - any ideas?

Last year (after a 7 day stage race) I had them so bad I litterally couldn't sit down on a chair, I've another multi-dayer this year and need to get this sorted.

Any advice is appreciated!

#5 ·
Ssushi said:
Does the Assos cream go on the shorts of on you arse? I'm wondering if softening the chamouis is the better way.
I think Assos was originally intended for the chamois back when they were made out of leather. Nowadays, when chammies are synthetic and initially softer you can put the Assos where ever you like...putting it on your butt seems much less creepy than precreaming your shorts.

Reactions: Eckstream1
#6 ·
Washing your shorts after every ride will help eliminate that bacteria that causes them. Once you have one, the best way to get rid of them is to scrub them with a wash cloth while you are in the shower. It is not pretty or fun, but it is effective after a few days.

#10 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
So do you think it's from abrasion or bacterial infection or a combo? FWIW Assos chamois cream works best when worked into your chamois well in advance of a ride, rather than slathering your butt just before...
I've no idea. I'm going to try applying the cream to the chamouis and seeing if helps. I gotta fix this, I was crippled from this last year on a 7day race - the pain was unbelievable!

#14 ·
OP- some people are allergic to chemicals in laundry detergents, creams and lotions, certain types of foods and drinks, body washes and soaps. Try changing brands and maybe using hydrocortisone cream, take benadryl capsules maybe, or baby ointment for your sores. Bathe daily to reduce the chance of infection. Read about Silver Sulfadiazine Cream (Silvadene) on webmd.com (prescription needed)

#16 ·
Ssushi said:
THat's interesting. I haven't changed any detergent of late though.

BTW - the 2 baths a week thing was a joke! LOL

I've no other signs of a rash or anything so I reckon it's a straight forward saddle sore issue.
How about the Assos creme being an irritant? Ever try another one like Paceline Chamois Butt'r to compare?

#18 ·
I used to get them often when I first started biking. Not too many in the years since but the past 6 months or so, I have been spending much more time riding and started getting them again. My roadie friend recommended this salve and I must say it works very well to resolve the sore(s) once they appear. Chamois cream does not prevent me from getting them. The salve has been around for over a hundred years and has NO BEN GAY EFFECT on the manly bits or region. Also works well for almost all skin irritation/chaffing issues. I think I might smear some on the wife the next time she is bothering me...worth a try ;)

Antiseptic Salve (5 oz), www.rawleigh-products.com Rawleigh Products

Attachments

#25 ·
Question about the Assos - is it made to be rubbed into a natural chamois, or does it work with synthetic as well?

I think Assos was originally intended for the chamois back when they were made out of leather. Nowadays, when chammies are synthetic and initially softer you can put the Assos where ever you like...putting it on your butt seems much less creepy than precreaming your shorts.
I was cringing before I clicked on this thread as I saw there were pics involved. Thanks for not posting pics of saddle sores!
It wasn't until after I posted the pic that I thought about the pic icon appearing next to the thread. It has made me lol at least a couple times...probably prevented hundreds of clicks!

#22 ·
Given that saddle sores are essentially a form of acne, I've had good luck treating them with acne creams.

As stated above, proper bike/seat fit along with steps to reduce crotch friction all help in the prevention department.

Getting out of your bike shorts as soon as reasonably possible after riding also helps prevent sores.

Good luck,
Pete

#26 · (Edited)
Saddle sores can be a real problem.

The basic points for avoiding saddle sores are to never wear a pair of cycling shorts more than once if possible. Have several pairs so that you always have a fresh pair available. With padded cycling shorts the pad is designed to provide a smooth layer next to the skin to reduce friction. They should be worn without underwear. If you wear underwear with cycling shorts it can cause discomfort as you end up sitting on the seams or bunched fabric.

Chamois cream can help reduce friction. For long rides rub some into the pad but then also put chamois cream onto your skin as well (thick blobs on areas where you get particularly saddle sore). It's generally good for 5-6 hours but if you're doing longer than that it's often worth re-applying chamois cream as it soaks into the short pad and becomes less effective.

Post ride try not to spend too much time standing around in sweaty cycle clothing. Good hygiene goes a long way towards reducing the frequency and severity of saddle sores. It's best to change into dry normal clothes as soon as possible post ride and always have a shower. If you can't have a shower then use cleansing wipes instead.

When washing cycling shorts try keeping the cycling clothing seperate from normal clothes. Instead of a standard detergent use something like non-biological Stergene Handwash Liquid (pour a small amount on the shorts inside the washing machine) and a delicates setting on the washing machine.

ASDA Groceries Online - From our store to your door

That should mean that you don't end up with detergent left in the shorts fabric to irritate your skin. Last winter I was cycling in the rain with another rider. It was very wet and the pad of his cycling shorts began bubbling as he rode along. It was the detergent left behind in his shorts reacting with the rainwater.:eekster:

A few things to try if you're always getting saddle sores in the same locations would be to shave or wax the affected areas in order to get rid of the hairs from those areas. Hair follicles can act as a focus point for sores. Cycling can result in them becoming irritated and then infected, especially if there's friction against your shorts so doing this can help quite a lot.

If you're riding on consecutive days then wearing different brands of cycling shorts on alternate days can be useful. Different brands of cycling short use different designs of pad inserts. By wearing different brands of short on alternate days it means you don't end up with pressure or friction consistently in the same place as a result of the pad design. This can help slow down the build up of saddle sores or friction sores significantly. If you aren't tied into particular team kit then I'd recommend shorts like the Castelli Bodypaint bib shorts and Skins bib shorts for long rides. They aren't cheap but their pad inserts are very good.

Make sure that your saddle isn't too high. For longer stage races you might want to use a lower saddle height than you would normally, as much as an inch lower possibly. By having the saddle lower it means that you get less side to side rocking on top of the saddle and therefore reduced friction on the areas where you get saddle sore. It's a trade off of slightly reduced power for increased comfort later on. :)

Pictured below: Stergene Handwash Liquid is good for washing cycling shorts

Attachments

#27 ·
^^^
I'll second the shaving comment (I was afraid I would be the first to bring it up). This seems to make all of the difference in the world for me.

You'll just have to be careful on how you explain to your significant other that you read on the internet about shaving your backside to improve your cycling...may raise more questions than you care to answer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.