mtbr member
    Jun 2010

saddle similar to rocket v but with center cut out?

Good day!

Anyone have had any experiences with a saddle with a similar shape/contour to the rocket v, but with a center cut out? The wtb fits my sit bones fine, but I'm still looking for some comfort with regards to soft tissue decompression. If it only had that center cutout, my search for the perfect saddle would have been a thing of the past. Any experiences with similarly shaped saddles? BTW, I don't ride too upright, but not leaned forward so much as well. Thanks a bunch!

usually cranky
    id look at specialized saddles. different widths to choose from and most have cut outs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for that suggestion. I've seen some spesh saddles around here, but they cost a grip. But the Phenom has always caught my attention. Maybe time to bite the bullet and try one out. BTW, those Selle SMPs look like they've got a good contour to them, but are way more over my budget. Are they any good for narrow saddle-biased individuals? If I would shell out that much cash, I might rather stay with my Rocket Vs and just get Thudbuster STs instead...

mtbr member
    Measure the width of your saddle, chances are you need a wider one.
    All saddles publish the width.
    I highly recommend the Specialized Henge seat, it's the perfect mix of flex and padding.
    They have 3 different versions of most specialized saddles, steel rails, titanium rails, carbon rails.

One thing to note on the center V...
    Many saddles have a rise leading up to the valley.
    This should be avoided as it's puts pressure on sensitive things.
    Make sure the center has a flatter shape leading to the V in the middle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I agree with that bulge right before the cutout. I've actually tried a velo saddle with that wide anatomic cutout that runs throughout the saddle. Although there wasn't that much pressure in the center, it felt like the slender parts between the tail and the nose applied more pressure, creating an awkward feeling. It seemed as though the lack of material to actually sit on made the remaining parts "carry" most of my weight. Imagine sitting on lightly padded rails. Went aroung the other day and saw the WTB Valcon and I think I'll try that one next. Its fairly flat but got a good width and a not-so-wide center cutout, so there's ample meat to sit on. I'm hoping it'll be a good fit, despite its lack of contour which I really like about the Rocket V.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Charge makes some fine saddles that won't hurt your wallet at all. Worth looking at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I can vouch for the Phenom, as long as you don't mind squirting some lube where the rails sit in the saddle. I have 2 of them, the old model which is fine, and the latest model that has creaked from day 1. Bit of lube and the creaking goes away, but always comes back. Cost me a small fortune tho so I am sticking with it.

I've also had the Charge Spoon before. Stay away from the models with the "rougher" covering. Its lasts a couple of months before it gets all ripped around the edges.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Those Charge saddles look nice. But I don't know if our LBS have em. I'm gonna look around this weekend hoping I can get a good deal on a Phenom. Thanks for all your replies!