mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Saddle like the original phenom

I have had a 2010 specialized phenom, the thin shelled minimally padded version like a toupe, on my bike for a few years now and been quite happy with it. I am planning on buying a FS bike to compliment my hardtail and will need a new saddle. I have tried the 2nd generation 2011 phenom with more padding and it was horrible, not at all like the one I have, so I am looking for a different option. I have a romin on my road bike that is comfy, but I would like to get a non-specialized saddle so I can get a deal. I tend to like wide (minimum 140mm) flat minimally padded saddles with some shell flex so I am thinking a fizik antares might be my best bet. Any other ideas that fit this criteria?

I didn't do it
    Is there any chance you were actually riding a Phenom Gel, rather than a Phenom Pro or Expert? I don't know for sure but I assume the Gel would be spongier than the other Phenoms. I have a Phenom Expert and I really like it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It was a phenom comp that came stock on an epic carbon comp 29er. I really like minimal padding with shell flex and this one had a stiff shell with more padding, it looks like the current models on the website. That saddle wasn't spongy but it also wasn't comfortable. The saddle I like looks like a toupe expert with a different cover. I want to buy a different brand as my shop does not carry specialzed.

mtbr member
    I have an older phenom on my hardtail and I just put a Selle Italia Carbonio on my Marin MV full suspension and I love it. Super lightweight, minimal padding, and it flexes perfectly on bumps. It fits my butt better than the phenom.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    That looks like what I am looking for and way cheaper than the antares. I have tried an slr and the shape is great but a bit narrow. Looks like it might be discontinued but plenty are available online. It looks like the new flites might fit this profile as well, I hadn't looked as the onld one was the least comfortable saddle I ever tried.

mtbr member
    You can get the SL kit Carbonio in a 143mm width.