Perfectionist with ADHD!

Hope Saddle crusher? That's me...

Ok so I need more help. I am a heavier guy and I love to jump my bike. I am really getting back into the swing of things (jumping, dropping, climbing) after a few years away from riding. I have this great Trek Cobia, I am working on dialing in my comfort, but I have gone through 6 saddles in as many months. So I am here to ask.....

Is it something I am doing, or are seats these days just crap?

I have broken a Selle Italia saddle w/ Nicro Alloy Rail
    The orginal Bonty saddle with my bike, crom rails
    A second and third Bonty Race saddle one with Titanium the other Alloy Rails

It is worth adding that this is the very first time I have owned a seatpost and clamp like this setup I have now (the one witht he front and rear bolts to tighten and for pitch). I have checked (online and with my LBS) that each saddle is being clamped in the correct spot.

As a solution, I have recently ordered a WTB saddle with replaceable rails. I am hoping this at least gets me back in the game without having to change the way my setup feels.

?? Is there something I am doing wrong? Are there saddles out there that are tougher and can take a little extra punishment? Are there any riding tip (or falling tips) besides "don't fall on your saddle" that anyone can offer?

Thanks for the help, and taking the time to read my embarasment.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your not lifting your arse off your seat when riding through rough sections and landing jumps. You'll probably end up breaking a rear wheel or frame too with that technique. Get off the saddle and use your ankles, knees, and hips to absorb inpacts for obsticles and landings.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Don't sit on the saddle when landing jumps, doing drops, taking hard hits or the like. My rear hurts just thinking about this. Really, just stand a little and hover over your saddle.

mtbr member
    I used to break saddle rails JRA. Lost 80 lbs. Helped a lot

Dianetics Junior
    there is the ibeam system....never used it but it seems to make a lot of sense...

Technology SDGComponents.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I broke 4 saddles in three months. WTB is warrantying one right now. Two of them were ti rail seats and two were cro-mo rails. I upgraded to a thomson seatpost and have been riding the current seat for 5+ months.

I seriously think frame builders and bike part manufacturers should let me test their designs. If it lasts a week with me riding it then it's good to go.

Gotta add, WTB has been hassle free as far as warranty goes.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

Perfectionist with ADHD!

there is hope

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    I broke 4 saddles in three months. WTB is warrantying one right now. Two of them were ti rail seats and two were cro-mo rails. I upgraded to a thomson seatpost and have been riding the current seat for 5+ months.

I seriously think frame builders and bike part manufacturers should let me test their designs. If it lasts a week with me riding it then it's good to go.

Gotta add, WTB has been hassle free as far as warranty goes.
    Good to hear about WTB, and I hear ya on the testing out thing, I feel like any product making it through a few rides with me is worth receiving a hand granade sticker on the packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by CBizzie View Post
    there is the ibeam system....never used it but it seems to make a lot of sense...

Technology SDGComponents.com
    Dude this was the best reply, I am on top of this site right now looking the offers over.

Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25 View Post
    I used to break saddle rails JRA. Lost 80 lbs. Helped a lot
    I have repeated this 6 times now and I am starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf...working on the weight, promise I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Sounds like your not lifting your arse off your seat when riding through rough sections and landing jumps. You'll probably end up breaking a rear wheel or frame too with that technique. Get off the saddle and use your ankles, knees, and hips to absorb inpacts for obsticles and landings.
    Wow, I didn't know that my fat ARSE could damage my seat if I continuosly sat on it, and even more impressive is that I am able to take jumps and drops without leaving my seat huh?

Thanks to all

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Don't sit on the saddle when landing jumps, doing drops, taking hard hits or the like. My rear hurts just thinking about this. Really, just stand a little and hover over your saddle.
    I definately use decent posture while riding, that is not the case. However, my skills are raw and when landing I come down on the saddle occasionally. So I was looking for something more bomb proof, or if everyone thought that all saddles are relatively easy to break.
    Last edited by ChewynMe; 08-07-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Spelling error

mtbr member

cheap trick

@chewyn me: saddles anything is easy to break in mountain biking as weight goes up. anyway at a local bike park i have seen a guy put a roller blade wheel in between the seat and rails before installing the saddle to the stem. he said he got tired of breaking saddles as well. if you can find something to wedge between the rails and the saddle your problems should be solved.
    2014 L Banshee Spitfire Black

nothing to see here
    what about a suspension seatpost?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I broke a wtb last week. It lasted almost a year and only broke cus it slapped my ass after an unexpected drop lol. The left rail just snapped and the seat turned 90* on the other rail and I had to ride it out like that for the next 8miles. It was a cheapo wtb speed v and they did a warranty exchange for a better seat with cromo rails. Wtb treated me great, almost a year, no receipt, and they still gave me full msrp against a new seat.

mtbr member
    What about a dropper post? It will give you that extra 4"-6". It would let you " hover "above the seat. If your riding more rough stuff and downs it will be worth the money.
    The biggest confidence builder out there, bar none!

Sent using BOTH my thumbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post

Wow, I didn't know that my fat ARSE could damage my seat if I continuosly sat on it, and even more impressive is that I am able to take jumps and drops without leaving my seat huh?
    Your right...it's the saddles and not your technique that is the problem. The rest of us 99% who have no issues breaking saddles are just lucky I guess.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You say your big... How big? Maybe the solution is to just lower your seat an inch or even 1/2" to allow a little more room between it and your "far arse". Might be worth a shot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChewynMe View Post
    I definately use decent posture while riding, that is not the case. However, my skills are raw and when landing I come down on the saddle occasionally. So I was looking for something more bomb proof, or if everyone thought that all saddles are relatively easy to break.
    Don't worry about fancy technique, just hover over the saddle as needed. It's pretty easy really.

Perfectionist with ADHD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Whisperer View Post
    Your right...it's the saddles and not your technique that is the problem. The rest of us 99% who have no issues breaking saddles are just lucky I guess.
    I realize there some technique issue but my reply (sarcastic) was to someone suggesting I just rode sittin down all the time. But hey, maybe you are lucky! Cheers.