Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Saddle bag for dropper seatpost

Anyone found one that works?

mtbr member
    I have been having great performance from my KS i950 - been using it for over 2 years w no problems.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply, but I'm not looking for a dropper seatpost. I'm looking for a saddlebag that will work with a dropper seatpost.

formerly Giantxc
    Krieg. It only connects to the saddle rails and not the post. I've occasionally used one with my Joplin.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Any new input on this?

I was looking at something like the Topeak Pro Pack but worried the hard plastic might break over time with repeated riding in rocky areas?

mtbr member
    I gave up. Never found a good solution.

mtbr member
    Awe man that's a bummer. What's the cartridge setup you have?

Front Range, Colorado
    What's the problem, most saddle bags hang and connect from the seat not the post.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    What's the problem, most saddle bags hang and connect from the seat not the post.
    From what I've seen almost all do have a stabilizing strap around seat post as far as I know?

Front Range, Colorado
    Yes but, I don't know what dropper you are running. But I just checked my Joplin and there is plenty of space for the strap. Without interfering with the shock slide on the post.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    I'm using a KS (Kind Shock) LEV. I don't think there is enough room unless I could manage to loop it up around the front saddle bolt? (I was thinking about just letting it touch the part that slides up and down but figured I would probably get some binding or weird wear from the support strap hitting the bottom.)

Here's a photo:

Any thoughts or ideas?

mtbr member
    I'm thinking the Lezyne Micro Caddy might work if I don't find anything else:

Front Range, Colorado
    From your photo of your post it l looks to be about the same amount of space below the seat as my Joplin. I still think there is enough room to get the strap around that section. Without interfering with the shock slide.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Thank you for the help! If I can get this to work I'm going to be stoked. Do you have a bag you especially like or use?

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Thank you for the help! If I can get this to work I'm going to be stoked. Do you have a bag you especially like or use?
    Sorry but no I don't use one. Just trying to encourage you to give it's try. I think you can make it work.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Do you use a hydration pack? That's where I put all my crap.

mtbr member
    Don't get a Fred bag. Either tape/Velcro your **** to the frame, stuff it in jersey or wear a hydration pack. DON'T BE THAT GUY!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    Don't get a Fred bag. Either tape/Velcro your **** to the frame, stuff it in jersey or wear a hydration pack. DON'T BE THAT GUY!
    LMAO! Good point. Sometimes I just get tired of a hydration pack, it seems like that thing weighs 20lbs. I forgot about using velcro.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    LMAO! Good point. Sometimes I just get tired of a hydration pack, it seems like that thing weighs 20lbs. I forgot about using velcro.
    "A Fred bag" now that's some funny shitt. I used to be too cool for stuff like that. But some times these geeky things just make sense. For example I always thought mtbing with a water bottle and cage was dorky. Just carry everything in a Camelbak. Which is still 80% of my rides. But I mounted a cage on my bike as a holder for my battery pack while night riding. So after awhile of that I ended up utilizing it for a water bottle on short rides. Which brings us to the dilemma you are facing of how to carry all the essentials while not using a Camelbak. Hey a saddlebag just makes sense. So IMO now that I'm older and don't give a shirt of style trend's I say be "that guy" and use a saddlebag "it just makes sense.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Revelate Designs has the Gas Tank top tube bag. It is like a triathlon bento box on steroids, but sleek and built for mtn bikes. I, too, got tired of my CamelBack and with the advent of neck issues, have pretty much ditched the thing. Necessary stuff is stashed here and there on the bike and in jersey pockets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have a topek pack that works. You just have to do all the attaching to the rear of the rails (behind the seat post clamp.

I used to carry all that stuff in the Camelbak, but it was getting to dang heavy and worse the CG is higher up there. I'd rather have the bike carry the weight then my back and ass.

mtbr member
    Fred bags are just a waste. You can carry whatever you need in your Jersey or on the frame. Some use hydration packs I don't I carry a empty osprey hydration pack for 50 milers and just use water bottles. It's not a fashion or coolness factor if you saw me you would no in not trying to be that guy but sometimes people bring too much ****. I Velcro a spare tube on my handlebars, have a big aircan velcrod on top tube and carry a multi tool and a spare link and derailer hanger in my jersey pocket so why do you need a Fred bag? Especially if your riding a dropper. That's the sacrifice you take when you get a dropper you cant hang **** off the back although I have a set of balls ziptied to my seat like you see on pickups hitch

Front Range, Colorado
    Fred bags are just a waste. You can carry whatever you need in your Jersey or on the frame. Some use hydration packs I don't I carry a empty osprey hydration pack for 50 milers and just use water bottles. It's not a fashion or coolness factor if you saw me you would no in not trying to be that guy but sometimes people bring too much ****. I Velcro a spare tube on my handlebars, have a big aircan velcrod on top tube and carry a multi tool and a spare link and derailer hanger in my jersey pocket so why do you need a Fred bag? Especially if your riding a dropper. That's the sacrifice you take when you get a dropper you cant hang **** off the back although I have a set of balls ziptied to my seat like you see on pickups hitch
    After 13 years of mtbing I'm finally OK with someone using a Fred bag. I don't personally use one but I'm OK with someone else using one. But I still draw the line at Bar Ends, reflectors and kickstands.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Thank you guys for all the feedback. I've found that I've just started carrying more and more stuff just in case "x" happens and it rarely does so at least for shorter rides I would prefer to have nothing on my back and have minimal weight.

usually cranky
    imo putting more than a gu packet in your jersey sucks. i tried to put my multi tool and chain tool in my pocket, couldnt stand it bouncing and swinging arounds. feels weird too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast