Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Saddle bag for dropper seatpost

57K views 84 replies 34 participants last post by  DIRTJUNKIE 
#1 ·
Anyone found one that works?

#46 ·
Thanks for the help everyone! :thumbsup: I ended up getting some straps from Backcountry Research. So far I'm loving them. It's nice to not have any weight on my back for shorter rides.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but. If you ride any type of rough terrain which MTBing is all about. There is no way your "stuff" isn't going to work it's way free and be strewn about. If your so dead set on this just get a saddle bag. I don't think the straps will interfere with the dropper post.

Reactions: matuchi
#49 ·
I love all the semantics of MTB do's and do not's. Even the term "Fred" was used to describe a very handy thing to have as opposed to wearing some lumbering water filled backpack. Geez, and I thought MTB'ers are supposed to be low key and laid back... after 4 years of being on this forum, I'm learning that many MTB'ers respond in ways eerily similar to the perceived behaviors of our roadie counterparts. Ironically, acting in the same manners in which everybody complains about.

I just thought it was creepy and sad to see the term "Fred" used on a mountain bike forum. And then followed up with a "pro racer" reference? The proud dividing line MTB'ers drew between themselves and perceived roadie behavior becomes more and more invisible each day, doesn't it?

Anyway, my friend uses a strap for his dropper post. It carries everything very nicely, and it super utilitarian, basic, and just plain works.

#50 ·
I love all the semantics of MTB do's and do not's. Even the term "Fred" was used to describe a very handy thing to have as opposed to wearing some lumbering water filled backpack. Geez, and I thought MTB'ers are supposed to be low key and laid back... after 4 years of being on this forum, I'm learning that many MTB'ers respond in ways eerily similar to the perceived behaviors of our roadie counterparts. Ironically, acting in the same manners in which everybody complains about.

I just thought it was creepy and sad to see the term "Fred" used on a mountain bike forum. And then followed up with a "pro racer" reference? The proud dividing line MTB'ers drew between themselves and perceived roadie behavior becomes more and more invisible each day, doesn't it?

Anyway, my friend uses a strap for his dropper post. It carries everything very nicely, and it super utilitarian, basic, and just plain works.
I think it is an age thing
When you get up to our age Dion you just stop caring what people think so much and do what works. I can ride with a frame bag, fanny pack, back pack, man purse or what ever and all the young girls will still only see me as middle age man . I have got a great wife anyway so I don't care what the young girls think any way. For me mountain biking is an escape not a fashion show.

Sj

#61 ·
Good to hear......I have a Race II in the mail right now. Looking forward to it. Have you seen the Thompson Elite? The cable attaches to the top so I'm wondering if there will be interference? It is to the side and not the back like the older KS' so maybe it will work out.

View attachment 816157
I love Thompson components, but went with the KS because of the cable attachment location and fear that the Thompson would get clogged with mud and take more maintenance. Based on this picture I don't think you will have any problem with the Race II interfering.

#65 ·
Cable protection collar made from PVC pipe

I wanted to keep using my Avenir Bigmouth Velcro Seat Bag (Large- 75/106 Cubic Inches) when I got a Trance with a Giant dropper post.

Here is the cable bend with the seat up:
Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle saddle Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

and down:
Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle saddle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

I wanted to add a collar to keep the pack attachment from bending the cable. I took some 1-inch PVC pipe and worked on it with a hacksaw and wood rasp to carve it to the shape of the dropper top where the control cable goes in.

Here is the collar installed with a few wraps of Gorilla Tape. You can see it is not affecting the bend much if at all:
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle Logo Carbon

Here is the pack installed with the seat up:
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Carbon Bicycle saddle Motorcycle accessories

and down:
Bicycle accessory Carbon Microphone stand Bicycle saddle Bicycle part

There is not much effect on the cable bend, so it should be protected.

Hope this helps others consider options.

Attachments

#66 ·
I wanted to keep using my Avenir Bigmouth Velcro Seat Bag (Large- 75/106 Cubic Inches) when I got a Trance with a Giant dropper post.

Here is the cable bend with the seat up:

and down:

I wanted to add a collar to keep the pack attachment from bending the cable. I took some 1-inch PVC pipe and worked on it with a hacksaw and wood rasp to carve it to the shape of the dropper top where the control cable goes in.

Here is the collar installed with a few wraps of Gorilla Tape. You can see it is not affecting the bend much if at all.

Here is the pack installed with the seat up:

and

There is not much effect on the cable bend, so it should be protected.

Hope this helps others consider options.
An interesting option, thanks for posting it.

#68 ·
I've got a bagless Awesome strap setup for shorter rides, or colder rides when I only need one bottle vs. a pack.

They work, well, awesome. Contrary to some people's worries, there is no trouble at all with them strewing your stuff about, even on the ugliest terrain.

Those rides usually entail shorts and a jersey with pockets. Works fine, and feels nice to ride without the pack sometimes.

#69 ·
Lezyne micro caddy for me. Light, compartments to keep things organized, doesn't flop around and unlike an awesome strap, your stuff doesn't get covered in mud, since it's inside a bag. Mine (size M) has room for a tube, patch kit, derailleur hanger, powerlink, and a multi-tool. The newer version has a stiffer strap that doesn't stretch out, so it holds your junk nice and tight.

Attachments

#71 ·
After riding again today, I'm choosing full drop range over the Avenir Bigmouth. I'll just put the tools in my backpack. Eliminating the Avenir saves about 6 ounces, and the tools are another 22 oz in my backpack which is bearable.

The Lezyne micro caddy looks good.

#74 · (Edited)
Thanks for this thread. I'm in a similar situation. I have a Ripley, Mojo HDR 650b, and Highball and for any ride less than 2 hours, I'm fine with a water bottle and I don't want to have to partially fill my Osprey and lug everything in it. I just want to grab a water bottle and go. Also don't want to have to keep track of a tube, CO2, multitool, every time I ride and put it in my jersey. I also don't want to have redundant gear strapped to every bike that gets caked with mud when I ride. A removable quick release saddle bag that attaches to the seat rail that will fit a tube, Big Air CO2, inflator, two tire levers and a multi-tool is exactly what I need!

#76 ·
To the people using the awesome strap, why not just throw that stuff in a lIightweight stuff sack and then strap it on? Would keep everything clean and minimize the chance of losing an item in a fall.
You could but I don't how you would attach it and if it would stay out of the way of the dropper. If you're worried about mud or dirt you could always stuff your stuff in a large balloon, condom (preferably non lubricated), or bag then put it in the awesome strap or you try one of the bags people have posted on here. The Awesome strap is also inexpensive. *

#78 ·
Just thought I would add to this, I looked around and was not blown away by anything, toppeaks bag looks nice but it still has a seat post mount which wont work with my GD seatpost. Others were super expensive but then I found Lezyne, their stuff seems pretty legit, you don't have to pay more for waterproof and the price is pretty cheap, especially if you look on ebay. I got the M caddy QR for $22 shipped. Here is a link to their site Lezyne - Engineered Design - Products - Organizers They make a few versions of the QR. I was looking at the micro which comes in 2 sizes but I was worried I would have trouble fitting a tube and all of my tools. This is the best option I have found for a dropper post saddle bag.

#85 ·
What's also nice about that one is you could fasten it to the frame somewhere instead of below the seat. The strap would work perfect for that.

Of course that defeats the purpose of this thread. :madmax:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.