Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Revelate Designs has the Gas Tank top tube bag. It is like a triathlon bento box on steroids, but sleek and built for mtn bikes. I, too, got tired of my CamelBack and with the advent of neck issues, have pretty much ditched the thing. Necessary stuff is stashed here and there on the bike and in jersey pockets.

So if a saddlebag's official nick name is a Fred Bag, does this bag attached to the stem officially become a Barney Bag.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    Revelate Designs has the Gas Tank top tube bag. It is like a triathlon bento box on steroids, but sleek and built for mtn bikes. I, too, got tired of my CamelBack and with the advent of neck issues, have pretty much ditched the thing. Necessary stuff is stashed here and there on the bike and in jersey pockets.

So if a saddlebag's official nick name is a Fred Bag, doe's this bag attached to the stem officially become a Barney Bag.
    Actually this seems to be the perfect solution for the O.P's issue.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    So if a saddlebag's official nick name is a Fred Bag, doe's this bag attached to the stem officially become a Barney Bag.
    Actually this seems to be the perfect solution for the O.P's issue.
    I really like those handlebars. How do you like them I have been thinking about getting a set.

Sorry for going off topic

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by vapezilla View Post
    I really like those handlebars. How do you like them I have been thinking about getting a set.

Sorry for going off topic
    Sorry but I wasn't the original poster of that photo. June Bug was farther up this thread.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Try an Awesome Strap from backcountry research.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Try an Awesome Strap from research.
    I was going to visit REI for some sort of velcro backpack strap but those look perfect! Thank you! I'm going to order a couple tonight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigeo View Post
    try an awesome strap from backcountry research.
    + 1

mtbr member
    Those look perfect

mtbr member
    Yep, I ordered two Race II and a Mutherload today.

mtbr member
    I have one of each plus the Tulbag. The stuff works great.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

I hate that name.
    Fred bags are just a waste. You can carry whatever you need in your Jersey or on the frame. Some use hydration packs I don't I carry a empty osprey hydration pack for 50 milers and just use water bottles. It's not a fashion or coolness factor if you saw me you would no in not trying to be that guy but sometimes people bring too much ****. I Velcro a spare tube on my handlebars, have a big aircan velcrod on top tube and carry a multi tool and a spare link and derailer hanger in my jersey pocket so why do you need a Fred bag? Especially if your riding a dropper. That's the sacrifice you take when you get a dropper you cant hang **** off the back although I have a set of balls ziptied to my seat like you see on pickups hitch
    So you have miscellaneous crap ziptied/velcroed to your bike yet you think seatbags look stupid?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    So you have miscellaneous crap ziptied/velcroed to your bike yet you think seatbags look stupid?
    Don't recall saying they look stupid I was sayin a saddle bag on a dropper is stupid. Especially on a double squishy if I were put a Fred bag on my dropper then road DH with post all the way dropped it wouldn't clear tires thus ripping the bag off. Also in a race situation it's faster to remove a tube or air can that's velcrod or taped to the frame some saddle bags are a pain in the ass to open compared to tearing off a taped tube. But then again I learned this from a few pro racers but what do they know. Also you show up to races you'll notice majority don't use those things.

mtbr member
    Saddle bag for dropper seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350928124.557870.jpg

As seen on my Trance X2.....This works great and doesn't look stupid!....Topeak bag with the front Velcro strap removed. It simply clicks into place on the seat rail mount. Very secure and no interference with the dropper post.

Sup
    I have had good luck with this one
    Topeak ProPack Seat Pack
    Last edited by Burnt-Orange; 12-11-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    I second the Topeak!! It also comes in large sizes and you can buy the mounts if you have another bike.
    Saddle bag for dropper seatpost-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350954965.763840.jpg
    It holds a crank bro 17 tool, 2 co2 and tire levers.

I hate that name.
    Don't recall saying they look stupid I was sayin a saddle bag on a dropper is stupid. Especially on a double squishy if I were put a Fred bag on my dropper then road DH with post all the way dropped it wouldn't clear tires thus ripping the bag off. Also in a race situation it's faster to remove a tube or air can that's velcrod or taped to the frame some saddle bags are a pain in the ass to open compared to tearing off a taped tube. But then again I learned this from a few pro racers but what do they know. Also you show up to races you'll notice majority don't use those things.
    As if pro racers are the end all be all of mtb? The majority of mtb riders don't race, so what "pro racers" do in a race situation is largely irrelevant to the masses. But I will tell you what I learned from my years of racing: Do whatever works for you. As for me, I use a seatbag now because it meets my needs, but I didn't when I raced. In fact, I never even carried a tube, I ran tubeless.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Sup
    my fred bag has my cell phone,wallet and my multi tool
    the multi tool has saved my bacon and the wallet has bought me bacon on a ride
    you think I should zip tie that or put it in my pockets?

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Thank you for the information borbntm, SlowerJoe, and boxedrn. I figured the plastic mounts would be prone to fatigue and breaking but it doesn't sound like it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiff View Post
    Thank you for the information borbntm, SlowerJoe, and boxedrn. I figured the plastic mounts would be prone to fatigue and breaking but it doesn't sound like it.
    I tried a price point clip on bag and never trusted it. The topeak looks nicer though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up getting some straps from Backcountry Research. So far I'm loving them. It's nice to not have any weight on my back for shorter rides.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=kdiff;9901939]Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up getting some straps from Backcountry Research. So far I'm loving them. It's nice to not have any weight on my back for shorter rides.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but. If you ride any type of rough terrain which MTBing is all about. There is no way your "stuff" isn't going to work it's way free and be strewn about. If your so dead set on this just get a saddle bag. I don't think the straps will interfere with the dropper post.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ood point. Sometimes I just get tired of a hydration pack, it seems like that thing weighs 20lbs. I forgot about using velcro.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE, View Post
    If you ride any type of rough terrain which MTBing is all about.
    Thank you for the insight. This whole time I thought I was mtb'ing because I was going up and down the paved hills and off curbs in my neighborhood.

As far as it working it's way loose, it's been a concern but so far I had about 80+ miles with some fairly rough terrain and it's still snug. I did tighten it up a little yesterday for the first time. I think everything had kind of adjusted into place so there was some slack to make it a little more snug, despite that my items/stuff had not adjusted. Something you may not be aware of is that the Race II has some rubber textured parts to it so it's not just a slick velcro strap. (I can take some more pics if anyone is interested.) If I start losing things I'll definitely share my experience, there are a lot of people on here that have helped me and I would like to return the favor. All that said, I am really loving not carrying a pack for a lot of my rides.
    Last edited by kdiff; 11-25-2012 at 04:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love all the semantics of MTB do's and do not's. Even the term "Fred" was used to describe a very handy thing to have as opposed to wearing some lumbering water filled backpack. Geez, and I thought MTB'ers are supposed to be low key and laid back... after 4 years of being on this forum, I'm learning that many MTB'ers respond in ways eerily similar to the perceived behaviors of our roadie counterparts. Ironically, acting in the same manners in which everybody complains about.

I just thought it was creepy and sad to see the term "Fred" used on a mountain bike forum. And then followed up with a "pro racer" reference? The proud dividing line MTB'ers drew between themselves and perceived roadie behavior becomes more and more invisible each day, doesn't it?

Anyway, my friend uses a strap for his dropper post. It carries everything very nicely, and it super utilitarian, basic, and just plain works.

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    I love all the semantics of MTB do's and do not's. Even the term "Fred" was used to describe a very handy thing to have as opposed to wearing some lumbering water filled backpack. Geez, and I thought MTB'ers are supposed to be low key and laid back... after 4 years of being on this forum, I'm learning that many MTB'ers respond in ways eerily similar to the perceived behaviors of our roadie counterparts. Ironically, acting in the same manners in which everybody complains about.

I just thought it was creepy and sad to see the term "Fred" used on a mountain bike forum. And then followed up with a "pro racer" reference? The proud dividing line MTB'ers drew between themselves and perceived roadie behavior becomes more and more invisible each day, doesn't it?

Anyway, my friend uses a strap for his dropper post. It carries everything very nicely, and it super utilitarian, basic, and just plain works.
    I think it is an age thing
    When you get up to our age Dion you just stop caring what people think so much and do what works. I can ride with a frame bag, fanny pack, back pack, man purse or what ever and all the young girls will still only see me as middle age man . I have got a great wife anyway so I don't care what the young girls think any way. For me mountain biking is an escape not a fashion show.

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast