the catalan connection

S,M,L,XL equivalences to 17,18,19,20,21....?

I need to get an equivalence of these.
    I know sizing varyes from manuf. to manuf. but some manufacturers label some bikes whith letters and some with numbers...and I was wondering if there is any accurate conversion.

Thanks
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    .... I was wondering if there is any accurate conversion.

Thanks
    Not really, no - only by actually measuring/test riding yourself can you tell if one "medium" is bigger/smaller than another "medium"...... manufacturers use rather arbitrary "methods" of measuring frame size (I guess it's hard to standardize, given the variation of frame designs....who knows ???) and you'd likely be comparing "apples to oranges" if trying to compare a medium Brand X frame to a medium Brand Y frame going by manufacturers specs alone.

Chrome Toaster
    These numbers are very arbitrary depending on manufacturer. Typically most manufacturers will classify frames around the 15-16.5" range as small, 17"-18.5" medium, and 19"-20" large, 21"+ XL. You should really only be paying attention to the standover, top tube, and headtube geometry measurements for proper fit.

the catalan connection

Thanks,

more or less got the idea.I know itīs a mess, I know....just was clueless how the letters could translate to numbers.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    and then you dont really know if that 15-16.5 is center to center or center to top, as manufacturers varied. was it klein that had a REAL oddball way of determining frame size? someone in an LBS was explaining it to me once and had me scratching my head.....which isnt that hard to do. like others mention, you gotta see the bikes, or at least check web sites for geometries.