mtbr member
    May 2013

Road bike restoration...worth it? 1998 Miyata road bike

Hello gents.I have a 1998 vintage Miyata 10 speed road bike with a chrome moly frame that I am wondering if its worth making the effort to restore. Are these worth the money and effort to upgrade the wheels, crankset and other components and make it into a worthy workout bike for the road?This isn't my exact bike but its close to being the same model.http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-q3dHSrdgkJ...ke+1.jpgthanks in advance.Ken

mtbr member
    It's going to depend on how much money you plan to put into it and how much you will use the bike and appreciate it. I was given an old Lotus road bike and rebuilt it from the frame up, rebuilding all of the bearings, cleaning all of the parts and replacing things like saddle, bar tape, brake cables, pads and housing, chain, pedals, tires and tubes. The only thing actually broken on the bike was the shifters, that I also replaced. Now the bike is like new, and I usually ride it once a week. It was worth it for me because I use the bike a lot and enjoy owning it. As far as your Miyata goes, I don't think it would be worth replacing or upgrading the components, but if I were you I'd definitely rebuild what you've got and replace wear-and-tear parts.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

AZ
    banned
    Restore? Sure. Upgrade? Depends on your expectations. Wheels and cockpit are probably about as far as I would go, make the rest road worthy imo.

Don't worry, be happy!

Road bike restoration...worth it? 1998 Miyata road bike

Technology has changed so much it will make it difficult. There are entire websites devoted to vintage Miyatas. We have one, a Pro Miyata race frame that DH Built up full Campy in 1982. It's a beautiful bike for what it is, but there's no practical way to upgrade it. Even a late 90s will have issues of just finding parts.

mtbr member
    Depends what you want for a "workout bike for the road". The one you referenced is a long wheelbase touring bike which basically equates to comfortable, but sluggish ride.

It's about showing up.
    I took a pile of rust, dismantled it completely, rebuilt and deeply lubed/greased everything I could reach. I scrubbed, rubbed, and buffed, I rattle-canned the frame. The Campy components came back nicely, including hubs. I replaced all the rubber parts; tires, tubes, pads, grip-tape and tossed on an old saddle. After a year of hard use spokes started breaking and I rebuilt the wheels, spokes and velocity rims, around the original campy hubs, for about $100.

I consider this a refurbishment cost about $125 and 20-25 hours, plus $100 for the rebuilt wheels. There were no upgrades; the original bike had quality and brought back to a high level of function it performed well.It is a lot of work and requires a fair amount of skill and judgement.

For $500-$600 you might find something very nice used...but that takes a lot of skill and judgement, too.

Your success with this bike depends upon its intrinsic quality, how it was used and maintained, and how it has since been stored. If it has been sitting in a garage for 15 years high and dry after years of use and some care, you might have something.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Road bike restoration...worth it? 1998 Miyata road bike-edscn0030.jpg  

Road bike restoration...worth it? 1998 Miyata road bike-eblkadrr.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have to swing by my rental and have a closer look at the bike's parts expecially the wheels and check the size and see if I can get replacements reasonably priced. I loaned the bike to my younger brother who tried to commute to NYC with it and the NY potholes made mincemeat of the wheels in short order. Hasn't been ridden since.
    The frame is in great shape. Definitely needs cables, brake pads, bearings and new wheels.

I think I may have a closer look at fixing it up.
    thanks

mtbr member
    I "found" a 1986 Nishiki bike in my neighbors trash many years ago. I slowly broke it down, salvaged what parts I could, had the frame powder coated and asked my friends what parts they had in their parts bin. Now it is probably my favorite bike. The process alone was fun to see what would and wouldn't work with newer components.

Keep it and learn how to build a bike.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

Diggity Dog
    That's a cool old touring bike and you might be surprised at the response if you tried to sell it. They're in pretty high demand. These were really well built with excellent tube sets.

With that being said it would make an excellent commuter. It will accept wider tires and can do dirt roads no problem.

If it were mine I'd swap out the rings for round and do any basic maintenance it might need (chain, brake pads, wheel true, tune up in other words) and ride it.