Thread: RipRow workouts

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

RipRow workouts

I did a search and didn't see any convos about the riprow - I'm a little surprised since the machine seems to be so polarizing in the bike community. I use it as a huge tool to supplement safely and effectively my riding, skills, and workouts. This thing just works so I'm not interested in arguing the value of it. For me, it's indispensable and I'm a MUCH better rider because of it.

Anyway, I was hoping to find other RipRow users to share some of their workouts that they've been doing. I'm looking to add onto what skills/endurance/and strength the riprow has taught me. It's SUCH A GOOD TOOL! I want to make sure that I am able to maximize my workouts on it!

Share please!

always licking the glass
    Itís polarizing? How?
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've seen lots of hate driven from the "go ride your bike" crowd. Always people who have never actually used the riprow lol.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Brobot View Post
    I did a search and didn't see any convos about the riprow - I'm a little surprised since the machine seems to be so polarizing in the bike community. I use it as a huge tool to supplement safely and effectively my riding, skills, and workouts. This thing just works so I'm not interested in arguing the value of it. For me, it's indispensable and I'm a MUCH better rider because of it.

Anyway, I was hoping to find other RipRow users to share some of their workouts that they've been doing. I'm looking to add onto what skills/endurance/and strength the riprow has taught me. It's SUCH A GOOD TOOL! I want to make sure that I am able to maximize my workouts on it!

Share please!
    What the hell is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    I've seen lots of hate driven from the "go ride your bike" crowd. Always people who have never actually used the riprow lol.
    I'm sure many, like myself, aren't going to spend $1,000 to purchase any sort of fitness equipment. Let alone something that takes up as much space as this. That's no assessment of its value as a training tool. Lots of stuff is valuable as a training tool, but I simply don't have space in my house for any of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm sure many, like myself, aren't going to spend $1,000 to purchase any sort of fitness equipment. Let alone something that takes up as much space as this. That's no assessment of its value as a training tool. Lots of stuff is valuable as a training tool, but I simply don't have space in my house for any of it.
    That's fair. It's actually not a lot of space to take up as far as gym equipment is concerned, but it is pricey. Small scale made in USA operation so I get it.

I bought it after a shoulder surgery from a crash in Moab due to fatigue and stupidity. Great rehab tool, but I have really loved the results from it from my riding perspective. I've enjoyed riding more, and am doing it safer so for me that's worth it (as opposed to getting say, another bike to add to the stable).

MBMB65 - it's kind of hard to explain. They call it "the worlds first standing rower" but really you do the push and pull in one movement, not just the pull that a rower has. It's on a rocker so there's a balance aspect, and where your feet stand is where the cranks are in the bottom bracket of your bike. So when you're grabbing the handlebars to do your workout you're patterning the same movements you would as if you were on the bike. Super great for hip hinge mobility and building movement and strength.

www.riprow.com

since 4/10/2009
    That's fair. It's actually not a lot of space to take up as far as gym equipment is concerned, but it is pricey.
    Yeah, I mean, I simply don't have ANY space I can easily dedicate to any sort of permanent gym equipment. Anything I get has to be something I can quickly and easily put away somewhere. I have a few small things that I can do exactly that with. The largest thing I have is a stationary bike trainer, and the largest part of it is a bike that I already have (and have a storage spot for).

For that matter, I just hate indoor workouts. Passionately. The stuff I do have only gets fairly occasional use because of that (part of the reason I won't spend much money on that stuff - I could if I wanted to, but I know it would rarely get used). I know I'm not alone in that, so I'm sure some of the resistance you see from some people is related to that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I hate indoor workouts too. The riprow is my only piece of "gym" equipment because I'd rather be outside doing something. It's my fallback when outside is rattlesnakey, muddy, or snowy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Rattlesnakey???

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Rattlesnakey???
    No danger noodles for me! Sunrise rides only during season to avoid those nope ropes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ddoh View Post
    Rattlesnakey???
    1 think it's too cold for them up here. OTOH, we get spells when it is windy and branchy.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Share please!

It looks okay, and I'm glad that it's working for you. I just kind of hate monotools (both in the kitchen and in my gym). It looks like I could probably get a lot of the same benefits from kettlebell swings, snatches, rows, TGUs, presses and other movements that are a little more dynamic than that.... and kettlebells and cheap and easy to store.

since 4/10/2009
    No danger noodles for me! Sunrise rides only during season to avoid those nope ropes.
    Aw, I love seeing snakes on my rides

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nevermind. Misread OP.

mtbr member
    Riprow looks awesome for a dedicated, competitive rider who has a G burning a hole in their pocket. I can't justify the price, even if it was half the cost. I could buy a lot of bike gear for that price, and that money would obliterate my bike parts budget for at least a year. I might be more likely to join my local gym (less than $20 a month) if they had one though. That way I could use the pool and all the other stuff in addition to the RipRow.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Riprow looks awesome for a dedicated, competitive rider who has a G burning a hole in their pocket. I can't justify the price, even if it was half the cost. I could buy a lot of bike gear for that price, and that money would obliterate my bike parts budget for at least a year. I might be more likely to join my local gym (less than $20 a month) if they had one though. That way I could use the pool and all the other stuff in addition to the RipRow.
    Iím trying to convince myself that this route would be more ďeconomicalĒ instead of getting a road bike for my KICKR and in turn using the race bike on the trainer. But itís definitely a stretch!

mtbr member
    I'm in the "I wish I could justify the cost and space" camp for one. A good friend of mine works at riprow. If only he could get me a deal.

mtbr member
    I looked at these earlier this year. Anyway, I ended up just going with a concept 2 rower. It's been a great alternative to my indoor trainer, and is definitely more of a full body workout. I was mostly just scared the riprow was a gimmick and didn't want to risk it.

Keep on Rockin...
    Old fashioned strength/power training with a barbell.

Bent over rows

Presses

Then, ride your bike lots.

mtbr member
    I haven't convinced my wife to let me buy a RipRow (yet), but I've used it briefly and think it's awesome. It's possible to get similar strength results using a host of other exercises, but you miss out on developing the same patterning you should use on a bike. By dialing in these movements on the RipRow, they pretty much become automatic. Again, you can find creative ways to ingrain these without a RipRow, but then you're still working on a bunch of push exercises, pull exercises, deadlifts, patterning, etc.

I think a lot of the nay-saying is by people who don't really understand it. I was a bit skeptical too, but the more I learn about technique and try to train my body to be stronger and more efficient, the better the RipRow seems. Trying it briefly at a clinic then jumping on the pump track and noticing immediate improvement sealed the deal. For me, the biggest hurdle is price, which is largely due to it not being mass-produced overseas.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Iím trying to convince myself that this route would be more ďeconomicalĒ instead of getting a road bike for my KICKR and in turn using the race bike on the trainer. But itís definitely a stretch!
    The KICKR has limited MTB support via an adapter, but many axle sizes aren't compatible, so yes, you're probably forced to use a road bike, but you can get the cheapest of the cheap. I like it mostly because it helps eliminate some of the boredom when paired with a simulated track like Zwift.

For me, the RipRow doesn't sufficiently tackle pedal & cardio that falls off the most for me over the winter. Maybe a RipRow AND a bike-based cardio device, but then you're getting into crazy $.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    For me, the RipRow doesn't sufficiently tackle pedal & cardio that falls off the most for me over the winter. Maybe a RipRow AND a bike-based cardio device, but then you're getting into crazy $.
    Integrating the RipRow into an interval work on the trainer is a killer workout. I currently try to do something similar with exercise bands attached to a handlebar, which emulates the RipRow a bit but isn't quite an equivalent since I can only do push or pull and it takes more concentration to emulate the bar movement on a bike.

Obviously, pedaling is important on a bike, but pumping is also super important for mtb. People tend not to focus so much on pumping fitness (or simply don't pump much of anything).

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying sOckeyeus. The pumping and row/anti-row are huge for the chunky stuff I'm riding. Focusing on this seems to help my riding more than focusing on spinning my feet in circles pedaling.

Plus, the riprow blows your cardio up immediately if you're using it right. It's kinda like the rower in that way. There's some people that slow-row and don't push and you see them just sliding back in forth in the gym all day like they have nothing to do. Then you get people that use the rower for HIIT and just shred it. 10-15 minutes max and their heart is beating out of their face!

I was actually riding this morning and noticed my mobility on my hip hinge on hefty chunk not only has increased, but I can hold it a lot longer. T'was a sweet morning!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I agree with everything you're saying sOckeyeus. The pumping and row/anti-row are huge for the chunky stuff I'm riding. Focusing on this seems to help my riding more than focusing on spinning my feet in circles pedaling.

Plus, the riprow blows your cardio up immediately if you're using it right. It's kinda like the rower in that way. There's some people that slow-row and don't push and you see them just sliding back in forth in the gym all day like they have nothing to do. Then you get people that use the rower for HIIT and just shred it. 10-15 minutes max and their heart is beating out of their face!

I was actually riding this morning and noticed my mobility on my hip hinge on hefty chunk not only has increased, but I can hold it a lot longer. T'was a sweet morning!
    Totally jealous. I have yet to hear of a RipRow owner who was disappointed with the purchase. I wish I could find one so they could sell their unit to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    I haven't convinced my wife to let me buy a RipRow (yet), but I've used it briefly and think it's awesome. It's possible to get similar strength results using a host of other exercises, but you miss out on developing the same patterning you should use on a bike. By dialing in these movements on the RipRow, they pretty much become automatic. Again, you can find creative ways to ingrain these without a RipRow, but then you're still working on a bunch of push exercises, pull exercises, deadlifts, patterning, etc.

I think a lot of the nay-saying is by people who don't really understand it. I was a bit skeptical too, but the more I learn about technique and try to train my body to be stronger and more efficient, the better the RipRow seems. Trying it briefly at a clinic then jumping on the pump track and noticing immediate improvement sealed the deal. For me, the biggest hurdle is price, which is largely due to it not being mass-produced overseas.
    We just moved into a brand new home and I am planning our home gym in the garage with an emphasis on my cycling fitness to compliment my TrainerRoad plan as well as my wifeís general fitness.

What equipment gym wise do you think the Rip Row would eliminate the need for? In theory, I could look at the Rip Row if the expense equaled or in some case was actually less than equipment Iíd initially look at but in the end would not need if I could get a better cycling specific workout with this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My vote is that it replaces a rower and treadmill. I'd say it also replaces a bar and weights for deadlifts, but kettlebell deadlifts are cheap and kettlebells can be used in other applications so I'd keep some of those around.

I also think you don't need a trainer with these, although some people are so addicted to spinning they think they have to spin in order to mountain bike better.