mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Rim spoke holes causing flat tire?

A rim on the little lady's mountain bike is constantly eating through tubes where the spokes holes are in the rim. The tube gets into the holes and wears causing a small tear/leak. It wears the tube out quickly as the tires are a commuter/paved trail tire at 80 psi, about every 5th ride she gets a flat and needs trail side patching.

I have rubbed my finger over all of the spoke holes and there are no burs that I can tell. There is a piece of rubber in the rim that does not cover all of the rims spoke holes well as it is not wide enough. Is there a name for that piece of rubber? it looks like old tube? I think all I need is to get a wider piece of that rubber, or something else to cover the spoke holes? I don't know what to call it to so I am unable to try and find a wider replacement online or another way of fixing this issue. Any help is appreciated.

-=ben

AZ
    banned
    It is called a rim strip and you should be able to source it at any bike shop.

Gumnut Peddler
    Rim strip or tape - either works fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah I usually use Ritchey rim strips. Easy to put on/take off, and last forever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Perfect! Thank you all for your help and fast reply's!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I just use Gorilla tape.