Thread: riding vs rest

Wizard of the Trail

riding vs rest

How many days can I ride in a row without screwing my body up? I know we need to recover, but can I ride 2 days in a row and skip and repeat?
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    How many days can I ride in a row without screwing my body up? I know we need to recover, but can I ride 2 days in a row and skip and repeat?
    It all depends on your capabilities, the shape you are in, the length of your rides, the elevation gain of the rides, and the intensity of your rides.

That being said it shouldn't be a problem.

Wizard of the Trail
    Well, I am fat, but in decent shape. I took my bro-in-law riding. He weighs 145 and I weigh 215 with gear and I crushed him on hill sections. I consider myself a terrible climber by the way. i am finding out now that just because we get faster, it still hurts the same. I thought it would get easier. I just want to keep getting better, but I don't want to go backwards by over doing it. The intensity is medium unless I ride myself, I am much faster with fewer breaks. If my friends ride with me a 1 hour ride turns into 2.5 hours.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think you are worrying too much. Unless you are feeling sore and start to hit the wall soon after beginning your ride, you aren't riding too much. I was riding almost every single day, (like six days a week) sometimes twice a day until my second son was born a month ago. Usually when I ride with other people the rides tend to be less intense, so that might even break it up and count as a rest day as far as my body is concerned. I say, ride as long and as often as it feels good! Your body will let you know when it needs a rest.
    Q

mtbr member
    If you go on a hard ride where you reach a state of full fatigue over and over, take 2 days off. Muscles don't get stronger during exercise, they do so during rest.

Otherwise the basic ride 2 days take off one is fine if you're not going at a race pace but still working hard.

Here's a suggestion: Do this once every other week the day after a decent ride.

After a little warming up and getting the heart beating good, put yourself at a pace where you are pushing it as hard as you can for 15-30 minutes so that you reach full fatigue, (bonk, blow up, can't pedal no more). Warm down a little, chug some recovery drink or gel pack and maybe stretch a little (but keep it no more than 5-10 minutes total), then repeat that process as many times as you can.................. after that, DO IT ONE MORE TIME!!!.

Take two days off in a row, and stretch and rub the latic acids out of your muscles (Drink lots of water), and eat good. Its good to do a very light ride around you're neighborhood without any effort just to loosen the legs up a bit. Doing this will give you way better stamina and ability to recover faster after a hard effort.

bikeguy45
    I normaly ride about 2 miles a day and on saturdays about 30 miles. I'm never really that tired, but very steep hills do hurt

mtbr member
    I ride everyday if i can 15 to 20 miles and try to keep it under control one day i push hard, the next day take it easy.
    from time to time if i'm travling and can not ride for a week or two when starting again i try to ride every other day for a week or two.