fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

Riding Kryptonite....what's yours?

Everyone has their strengths fer sure....some climb like billy goats on crack...others have effortless flow...

and some are freaking technicians casually rolling over the most heinous crap all calm and smug (i hate those guys)..

BUT everyone has a weakness....downhill left handed switchbacks? Creek Crossing? Technical climbs?

For me - I have absolutely ZERO sense of direction. none, nada.....nothing. It's horrible. really bad....like can't find my way out of a paper bag horrible.

what's your Kryptonite?
    Click Here for Forum Rules

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Anything that breaks my momentum just kills me. Our local trails are pretty fast and flowly as long as you keep up momentum. But if something happens like a fall, a deep mud puddle, a slower biker. Im toast. Takes forever to get back into my groove.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX
    Pure XCR Wheelset/Geax Saguaro Tires/Tubeless
    Bike Weight Lost: 2.48lbs (1124g)

mtbr member
    I really don't like climbing in general, but the climbs that really get me are later into a ride that I forget about or don't know are there. When I know I have to start with a long climb (which is the case with most of our riding here in Utah), I mentally prepare for it and deal with it (slowly but surely, of course). But there are a few rides with a climb jumping up in the middle or toward the end, and those just break my spirit!

In a terrain park or downhill run, it is steep or lipped dirt jumps. Don't mind dropoffs, ledges, rock gardens or roots, ladders, or all of that (reasonably sized, of course). But those lipped jumps freak me out every time.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

Everything. I suck at everything related to bike riding. I enjoy technical climbs but I'm not good at them. I have a baller sense of direction though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anything man made be it a bridge or a boardwalk. I just have to fall off.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Wooden bridges. The smallest, shortest, and most seemingly innocent - own me big time.
    From front wheel wash-outs at speed, to stall & falls, I've been hurt more on these lil' faackers more than any tech section. Anyone know a bridge therapist?

Is not amused
    Skinnies and wood bridge crossings. Also I never seem to have enough of water, just go through 100oz containers like its a sip.

AZ
    banned
    Little paper clip men that weigh 75 lbs. less than me and put out more watts.

mtbr member
    mud. i hate everything about it.

mtbr member
    Too much beer before riding makes me fall down. Sometimes makes me nap as well.

Perpetual Hack
    I agree on steep lipped jumps.
    I learned to ride on moto tracks way way back, so for jumps I like long floaters as opposed to moon-shots.
    I just can't seem to ride a long-travel bike off of a steep lippy jump without getting bucked, kicked and generally bent outta shape. Give me a medium face, or somethin natural and I'm all over it.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Being behind other riders. Missing sweet flowing sections of single track, jumps or fun corners because some weekend warrior is riding his brakes half a mile at a time with headphones in or just won't move out of the way. It sounds terribly elitist, I know. But, it's true.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by monzie View Post
    Everything. I suck at everything related to bike riding. I enjoy technical climbs but I'm not good at them. I have a baller sense of direction though.
    I have that exact skill set as well.

Just Ride
    Sand
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Thinking too much. Deciding to stop and comtemplate a difficult section and thinking myself out of it. My kryptonite is in the form of icky mush housed within my skull.

mtbr member
    Loooong, dragging climbs - really not built for them, but fair a little better on the shorter, more technical climbs.
    Not really doing much Ridin' or Diggin'

mtbr member
    alcohol and women.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Living in the middle of flatland Iowa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    work

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    more specifically, getting home at 7pm after a long day and not having the energy to do anything...

mtbr member
    Downhill right-hand switchbacks, and prolonged climbs.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Edit / double post.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-10-2012 at 10:07 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Hey CHUM I don't feel so bad now that I know I'm not the one who can't find my way out of my driveway without my G.P.S.Not only my sense of direction sucks but my climbing ability is about as good as a Sloth.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Exposure. Crashing doesn't frighten me unless I might crash off the edge of a cliff.
    Sand sucks my mojo right out of me.
    And downhill right-handed switchbacks. I swear I've spent hours practiced tight right turns on the flats, but for some reason I'm still more comfortable turning left. It's weird. And my friends who know my political leanings would find great irony in that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    my ego.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    for me the problem is going on short rides. I always end up gone for 3, 4, 5, 6 hours at a time. Anything over 2 hours and I'll often take a few long breaks where the views are good. I wish i could squeeze a ride into 1.5 hrs, but I know I'll go over by 100%

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hot weather. Long, boring, steep fire roads. I can climb them, I just hate them, which makes me not want to train for them. I avoid them like bad sushi.

mtbr member
    money.

being poor sucks. can't buy what I want nor can I afford to ride every day.

then again, it keeps mehumble modest. so yay for that.

Suckin wind like a boss
    climbs i barely clear, because i end up stopping and sucking wind after i get to the top. i just cant spin away.
    If you arent bleeding, you arent riding hard enough.
    http://about.me/bigterry

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    I don't need sex. My life fvcks me daily.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I suck at anything technical. Oh and when I think I'm
    really going fast like today, some guy gets next to me
    and says hello, then moves on like I'm standing still.
    Damn that guy was fast.

mtbr member
    rainy days! (and mondays)

ol'guy who says hi &waves
    [QUOTE=CHUM;9486770]......
    For me - I have absolutely ZERO sense of direction. none, nada.....nothing. It's horrible. really bad....like can't find my way out of a paper bag horrible.....QUOTE]

Regarding my kryptonite, any switchback with a step in the middle of it.

Regarding your kryptonite, thanks for offering to act as my guide next week. I'll pack extra food and water.

I may not have the best of everything, but I have the best everything that matters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My memory. Nearly 10 years ago I was riding an unfamiliar bike off a routine drop and went over the handlebars, breaking my arm and spraining both wrists. Now when I come to anything that resembles that drop I turn into a wimp and walk it. It's actually been a lot better in the last year or two but my confidence took a pretty big hit for a long time.

Also, I suck at technical riding which is a shame since I live a half mile from the trailhead of one of the better technical destinations in my area. I am getting better at that too since I'm forced to ride there for the convenience and my time restraints.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'm a pretty good non-technical climber, but techy climbs or anything requiring an uphill front wheel lift kill me. I'm getting better at lifting the front wheel, but I still have to think too much about it. I've only recently begun experimenting with shifting my weight back while climbing, after years of having "boobs to the tube" drilled into me.

Navigation also requires too much thought. I have a good sense of direction but, when navigating, I have to be able to "see" the route in my head in order to figure it out. Not gonna change that one anytime soon!

banned
    Feb 2012
    The first OTB during a ride is usually a pretty good cryptonite for me although at times, I can regain my rhythm later.
    Then I really dislike wooden narrow bridges that are elevated 8+ inches over the terrain and require you to unweight both wheels while balancing on the bridge. I need to work on that.

Professional Crastinator
    Jumps!

I do them, but I never know what's going to happen after I leave the ground so my confidence is nil. I usually keep my speed down and just manual to drop more than actually jump. The bummer part is that as a kid I jumped everything - garbage cans, wagons, mulch piles, snow piles...
    I don't know what happened.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by fred-da-trog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    For me - I have absolutely ZERO sense of direction. none, nada.....nothing. It's horrible. really bad....like can't find my way out of a paper bag horrible.....
    Regarding my kryptonite, any switchback with a step in the middle of it.

Regarding your kryptonite, thanks for offering to act as my guide next week. I'll pack extra food and water.

i'll only get you lost in the 'Parallel' trails on our way to a fun run in Wilder.....

still working on getting a hooky day on the 17th.

* but xtra food/water is not a bad idea *

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Jumps!

I do them, but I never know what's going to happen after I leave the ground so my confidence is nil. I usually keep my speed down and just manual to drop more than actually jump. The bummer part is that as a kid I jumped everything - garbage cans, wagons, mulch piles, snow piles...
    I don't know what happened.

-F
    Because you cant hit the ground, cry for 45 seconds then get up and do it again anymore. A buddy of mine and I took our bmx bikes to the concrete park near my house a few weeks ago. He came in out of a 1/4 pipe and caught the front wheel coming back in and landed chest first. While we were sitting waiting on him to regain his breath, strength, and dignity.....a 12 year old on a department store 16" wheeled bike went off a ~2 foot kicker ramp and ate it. Hard. He layed there for about 45 seconds crying and holding his elbow. Next thing we knew he got up and hit it again. Really made us feel old lol.
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Sand - sucks some of the life out of me.

Married with 2 kids does the rest ...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sand sucks, but I can't clear 4 inch+ logs without piles. Ruins my flow completely. The otherwise stellar trail being named "Many Log Run" doesn't help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Skinny balance type stuff, and by skinny I mean anything less than a foot wide. Actually make that a foot & half, I can ride a foot wide board or log but it sure as hell isn't fun and I've had a few close calls on them. The people who can ride across a 2x4 like it's nothing? I hate them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Motivation, Motivation, Motivation. Setting here and typing and thinking about riding is a whole lot easier than actually getting out and doing it.
    Actually I'm very lucky that I can run, swim, and lift weights at work. Sometimes its just hard to come home and give up my evening working out again.

Just Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by srasb View Post
    Motivation, Motivation, Motivation. Setting here and typing and thinking about riding is a whole lot easier than actually getting out and doing it.
    Actually I'm very lucky that I can run, swim, and lift weights at work. Sometimes its just hard to come home and give up my evening working out again.
    Police or fire?
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Downhill switchbacks, especially if they're rooty or big rocks. It's mental, 100%, but they always take me out.
    "Wait, this thing doesn't have a motor?" - Socrates

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    I agree on steep lipped jumps.
    I learned to ride on moto tracks way way back, so for jumps I like long floaters as opposed to moon-shots.
    I just can't seem to ride a long-travel bike off of a steep lippy jump without getting bucked, kicked and generally bent outta shape. Give me a medium face, or somethin natural and I'm all over it.

michael

That's me too. A guy just built some of those lippy f--kers at the local park. I cant muster up the courage to hit 'em.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Try a downhill, right-hand switch back on a dirt bike some time. The first person that can tell why this is hard wins.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    Try a downhill, right-hand switch back on a dirt bike some time. The first person that can tell why this is hard wins.
    rear brake is on the right pedal.

what do i win?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wait.....you're supposed to use the brakes?
    2010 Giant Yukon FX

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlow35th View Post
    Wait.....you're supposed to use the brakes?
    Only the rear one. It's best to squeeze it right before the downhill switchback as hard as you can and lean into the turn.

bust a move
    I do well on downhills, tailwinds, flat and flowy trails...everything else is my kryptonite

Seriously, I have many riding challenges but chunky climbs, some downhill switchbacks and wet/muddy technical sections are the toughest.

Chamois Dropper
    Hangovers, and those days when you just don't have the nerve for the hard stuff for some reason...
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

beater
    Fast, narrow, incised singletrack in tall grass. Like a foot or less wide, with lips/edges you can't really see.

mtbr member
    i can climb like a horse. but the switchbacks get me good. i fall almost everytime. ill get em eventually.

clown question, bro
    Climbing.

I really hate climbing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Skinnies. Heck, even not-so-skinnies if they are at all high off the ground. I've got no issues staying within an inch or so of any chosen line, even in technical situations, but it takes all the nerve I have to do a level, smooth, 8" wide bridge if it is a few feet off the ground, and even mess it up sometimes.
    Last edited by kapusta; 07-15-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

meow meow
    bridges ugh.

mtbr member
    haha i didnt know there was so many bridge sissies. lol. i made a successful switchback today. it was shaky but i made it with out putting a foot down or crashing. it was s very sharp one too.

AZ
    banned
    Freakin love switchbacks, especially at mile 30.

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbadwulff View Post
    Gotta lock up the rear brakes and steer the ass around the corner.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Inspector Gadget
    My kryptonite is poison oak. I will come to a dead stop if I'm going to hit it. Or I will nearly wreck just to avoid it. The other weekend on a new trail, I actually got off my bike and knocked it down/off the trail with a large branch.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM View Post
    For me - I have absolutely ZERO sense of direction. none, nada.....nothing. It's horrible. really bad....like can't find my way out of a paper bag horrible.
    Am I to assume that your vehicle(s) has(have) navigation?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Long climbs - they suck. I am fat and old - and technically lacking in bike skills.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul

mtbr member
    Wearing my riding glasses for some time and then not wearing them. They distort perception a lot so when I take them off, I'm all off balance, feel closer to the ground and ride like a one legged penguin on peyote.

Bro
    Content from my avatar
    My vanity. I strive to have the sharpest, most contrasting tan lines out there. I was doing really well for a while, but then I moved from the desert to the Bay Area for the summer, and my tan suffered.

I also lack confidence in technical stuff, despite the whole part where I ride some fairly rocky, tight, gnarly stuff for the nine months of the year that I attend school a block from the trailhead. I've been improving and getting faster, but still. The technical climbs really suck.
    Sometimes, I question the value of my content.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    This might be a bit weird, but new equipment. When ever I get something new for that first ride I am absolutely horrible. All I can think about is what is that new thing doing. Happened with my GoPro, when I got a dropper seat post, hell it even happened when I replaced my big ring with a bashgaurd. On the second ride things always go back to normal but that first ride is always terrible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abeckstead View Post
    My kryptonite is poison oak. I will come to a dead stop if I'm going to hit it. Or I will nearly wreck just to avoid it. The other weekend on a new trail, I actually got off my bike and knocked it down/off the trail with a large branch.
    heh i eat that stuff for breakfast. lol poison oak effects me a little bit if i rub up against it really hard or it gets on me and stays there. but i am immune to poison ivy and very resistant to poison oak. thank the Lord for that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Right hand turns. IDK why, I can blast through lefts without even thinking about it, but on a right hand I'm fighting myself slowing down, going wide, or both.

It's something in my head, and I'm working on it. I'm usually good a few miles in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    These days I cant pick a line to save my life, especially on technical climbs. Seriously, I'll probably breeze through it downhill but if climbing and given the opportunity I'll pick the stupidest way through something. I'm sure the root of it is just sucking at climbing,

The other thing that absolutely kills me is constantly going between open, bright areas of trails into covered, darker areas. My eyes cant adjust fast enough, and my depth perception gets all whacked.

Lord Thunderbottom
    I effing hate sand

Members who have read this thread: 0