Warrior's Society

Riding After Kidney Donation

I am currently going through the testing to donate a kidney to a family member in need.

My questions is to those have been through this.

1. Did it affect your riding long term?
    2. Did you have to alter your riding?
    3. We're you able to go at it just as aggressive as before?

I ride 5 days a week and put in about 150-200 miles on the mtn bike. I usually keep pretty hydrated through the week. However on my weekend rides....50-80 miles/5-8 hrs each I often finish a little low in the hydrTion department. Will I be able to keep this going afterward?

Just trying to figure out whether or not I am gonna have change my lifestyle too much in doing this?

Thanks
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Dirt Junkie
    I have no idea.

You are a good person.
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

duh
    Take it easy the first year, let your wounds heal. They say you would be good after 6 weeks but I would probably take it easy the first 6 months (light riding to keep in shape). You want the mnuscles and tissue to heal so you don't get hernias. So long term it shouldn't effect your riding.

I work in construction and was back to work with in 6 weeks but didn't push it when it came to riding. But the most important part is staying hydrated it is important for anyone. You might also feel dehydrated sometimes when you are not but it is always a good idea to listen to ones body.

How did they say they are doing it through laparoscopy or big incision, that is what will determine how long your recovery is. If it isw Laparoscopy it will be about 6 weeks if through the other way could be 6 months.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Take it easy the first year, let your wounds heal. They say you would be good after 6 weeks but I would probably take it easy the first 6 months (light riding to keep in shape). You want the mnuscles and tissue to heal so you don't get hernias. So long term it shouldn't effect your riding.

I work in construction and was back to work with in 6 weeks but didn't push it when it came to riding. But the most important part is staying hydrated it is important for anyone. You might also feel dehydrated sometimes when you are not but it is always a good idea to listen to ones body.

How did they say they are doing it through laparoscopy or big incision, that is what will determine how long your recovery is. If it isw Laparoscopy it will be about 6 weeks if through the other way could be 6 months.

Good luck.
    It would be via laparoscopy......just a very small incision.

I too am in construction....but as an inspector, I'm not required to lift, carry or handle materials.

They did say recovery would be 6 weeks....but I haven't had the consult yet with the Kidney doctor or surgeon as to how long before I could go back to MY normal activities.

Thanks for the info.

duh
    Here is an online community they can be really helpful.

Living Donors Online! Welcome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ask your doc... Not sure why ur asking non professionals regarding expectations post excision

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    my GF had a kidney yanked recently here is a little overview

1) you are gonna be in pain for a month while the CO2 bubbles and some spilled blood in your abdomen dissolve. blood hurts, co2 bubbles hurt worse

your first week will be a nightmare but it will get better. stock up on pedialyte it may be all you can eat/drink

2) it will all feel better and get better over time, ask your doc he will know the most about when you can ride again

3) afterward, you just have to make sure to take a whizz more often and you just cannot ever hold-it-in for extended times if you ever used to do that. you only have one working ureter now, respect that and whizz more often

4) otherwise, do what you used to do normally. there are no changes to your life you need to make, just know you only have one left, so maybe reduce high risk endeavors a fraction

hydrate like you used to, but you might want to make a new habit of choking down 100% cranberry juice (not the blends, I mean the TART straight stuff) once a week to make sure microscopic kidney stones flush out. cranberry juice really does work to keep kidneys cleaned. if i had one kidney I'd drink 12oz straight up cranberry twice a week, for the rest of my life. just being over cautious here

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post
    Ask your doc... Not sure why ur asking non professionals regarding expectations post excision

Not asking for advice.....asking what others have experienced. Mine may very well be different than others.

When you tell a doctor that you ride a bike, they all, like everyone else picture a casual ride down a paved bike path....unless they are a rider as well.

But thanks for the concern.

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by shoal View Post

Because it is nice to talk to people who have been through it. I did the same thing in feb when I donated the kidney.

living donors

Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    my GF had a kidney yanked recently here is a little overview

1) you are gonna be in pain for a month while the CO2 bubbles and some spilled blood in your abdomen dissolve. blood hurts, co2 bubbles hurt worse

your first week will be a nightmare but it will get better. stock up on pedialyte it may be all you can eat/drink

2) it will all feel better and get better over time, ask your doc he will know the most about when you can ride again

3) afterward, you just have to make sure to take a whizz more often and you just cannot ever hold-it-in for extended times if you ever used to do that. you only have one working ureter now, respect that and whizz more often

4) otherwise, do what you used to do normally. there are no changes to your life you need to make, just know you only have one left, so maybe reduce high risk endeavors a fraction

hydrate like you used to, but you might want to make a new habit of choking down 100% cranberry juice (not the blends, I mean the TART straight stuff) once a week to make sure microscopic kidney stones flush out. cranberry juice really does work to keep kidneys cleaned. if i had one kidney I'd drink 12oz straight up cranberry twice a week, for the rest of my life. just being over cautious here

Every ones recovery is different. When I donated mine I was in the hospital for only 4 days with minimal pain. I had the self medicating pain pump but didn't use it much. You won't be eating for the next couple of days after the operation then it would be liquid diet for a day or to before going back on a regular diet (I lost 10 pounds coming out of the hospital). For me it wasn't to painful just discomfort, I had a hard time sleeping or laying on my left side (that is the kidney the stole because it felt like everything was shifting into the space the kidney left. That only lasted a couple of weeks.

After 4 weeks I was back to normal with minimal lifting, under 20 pounds. My stitches healed pretty fast to.

Like I said every one is different and has different experiences. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

mtbr member
    A few finds:

This article, though only an abstract, broadly alludes to the dangers of cycling to one-kidney'd folks. You'd have to get the full article to get the dirt.

Single Kidney and Sports Participation: Perception Versus Reality

This forum exchange may or may not help, but OceanLily looks hottt.

- Riding with One Kidney (Bikers' Topics - Biker Chat) - CycleFish

And another:

one kidney? Singletrack Forum
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...