mtbr member

Reply withOUT quotes

Sorry, I can't stop myself. I just need to get this off my chest. When reading a forum like this there are few things more annoying than reading through a 5-paragraph post only to scroll through it a dozen times because some people find it necessary to remind us all what was already posted. If you need to address a particular portion of a post then extract the relevant bits and quote them. These are the same people that hit "reply to all" instead of "reply" on an inter-office email. Like the rest of your company cares to see you're "I'll miss you" response to Sally's going away announcement.

Let's dispense with the standard rebuttals:
    1. If you don't like it, than just keep scrolling! I don't like dog crap on my couch, looking past it does not make it disappear.
    2. People might have forgotten exactly what was said three replies ago! People with poor short-term memory and/or low reading comprehension skills can just scroll back up if they need to. They know they are dullards, they don't need everyone else looking out for them.

And those of you that will quote my entire post in your responses (yes, I know there will be at least one of you that will think it's funny), may a roach lay eggs in your sinus cavity.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Unfortunately the "Quick Reply" (the white, obscure icon to the right of the blue "Reply" icon) is too often ignored.

I also wonder what people's thread viewing preferences are now that they've gotten familiar with the system.

I hung on to threaded/hybrid viewing for a few months, but it just worked better on the old system where I could see where I'd been. I've since switched to Linear / Reverse Order, so the newest reply is always at the top (I've since come to peace with the new system, although I prefer the old -- but let's not go there).

Realizing that the order of the post is going to be different depending on whether someone is using Linear or Threaded, I make a point to quote relavent bits and eliminate the rest if it's a long thread, but I don't see the need to quote anything if replying promptly to an original post, or if the thread remains "linear" between two or three people.

And even higher on the annoyance list than long quotes is long quotes with pictures! Use the Edit feature, people! It's there for a reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus
    Sorry, I can't stop myself. I just need to get this off my chest. When reading a forum like this there are few things more annoying than reading through a 5-paragraph post only to scroll through it a dozen times because some people find it necessary to remind us all what was already posted. If you need to address a particular portion of a post then extract the relevant bits and quote them. These are the same people that hit "reply to all" instead of "reply" on an inter-office email. Like the rest of your company cares to see you're "I'll miss you" response to Sally's going away announcement.

1. If you don't like it, than just keep scrolling! I don't like dog crap on my couch, looking past it does not make it disappear.
    2. People might have forgotten exactly what was said three replies ago! People with poor short-term memory and/or low reading comprehension skills can just scroll back up if they need to. They know they are dullards, they don't need everyone else looking out for them.

And those of you that will quote my entire post in your responses (yes, I know there will be at least one of you that will think it's funny), may a roach lay eggs in your sinus cavity.
    I agree. And do us a friggin favor, and read the entire post before you respond to. Wouldn't it suck if after skimming a post, you realize somebody at the very end said something like "may a roach lay an egg in your sinus cavity"?

Penis Goat!
    I disagree partially. Although quoting an entire massive ride report (with pictures! that's what gets me) is just a huge pain, small quotes are good. I think it's even worse to read someone's response and have no clue who they're responding to. I usually shorten my quotes to a couple of lines.

stay thirsty, my friends
    It's not a big deal IMO.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Quote Originally Posted by LBguy
    It's not a big deal IMO.
    What's not a big deal?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    ...small quotes are good. I think it's even worse to read someone's response and have no clue who they're responding to. I usually shorten my quotes to a couple of lines.
    BINGO! You need to tie the response to the original post somehow for it it make sense.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vecsus

Reply withOUT quotes

[img]images/statusicon/user_online.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img]

[img]images/buttons/reply_small.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/quickreply.gif[/img]
    Vecsus

View Public Profile

Send a private message to Vecsus

Find More Posts by Vecsus

Add Vecsus to Your Buddy List

[img]images/statusicon/post_new.gif[/img] 2 Hours Ago #2
    Speedüb Nate
    1FG! (uh... 14x)
    [img]image.php?u=234077&dateline=1072983549[/img]

Unfortunately the "Quick Reply" (the white, obscure icon to the right of the blue "Reply" icon) is too often ignored.

I also wonder what people's thread viewing preferences are now that they've gotten familiar with the system.

I hung on to threaded/hybrid viewing for a few months, but it just worked better on the old system where I could see where I'd been. I've since switched to Linear / Reverse Order, so the newest reply is always at the top (I've since come to peace with the new system, although I prefer the old -- but let's not go there).

Realizing that the order of the post is going to be different depending on whether someone is using Linear or Threaded, I make a point to quote relavent bits and eliminate the rest if it's a long thread, but I don't see the need to quote anything if replying promptly to an original post, or if the thread remains "linear" between two or three people.

And even higher on the annoyance list than long quotes is long quotes with pictures! Use the Edit feature, people! It's there for a reason.

[img]images/statusicon/user_offline.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img]

[img]images/buttons/reply_small.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/quickreply.gif[/img]
    Speedüb Nate

View Public Profile

Send a private message to Speedüb Nate

Send email to Speedüb Nate

Visit Speedüb Nate's homepage!

Find More Posts by Speedüb Nate

Add Speedüb Nate to Your Buddy List

[img]images/statusicon/post_new.gif[/img] 2 Hours Ago #3
    skinny-tire
    mtbr member
    [img]image.php?u=234541&dateline=1074881309[/img]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vecsus

I agree. And do us a friggin favor, and read the entire post before you respond to. Wouldn't it suck if after skimming a post, you realize somebody at the very end said something like "may a roach lay an egg in your sinus cavity"?

[img]images/statusicon/user_online.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img]

skinny-tire

View Public Profile

Send a private message to skinny-tire

Find More Posts by skinny-tire

Add skinny-tire to Your Buddy List

[img]images/statusicon/post_new.gif[/img] 25 Minutes Ago #4
    GirchyGirchy
    www.henryearl.com
    [img]image.php?u=234068&dateline=1073418059[/img]

I disagree partially. Although quoting an entire massive ride report (with pictures! that's what gets me) is just a huge pain, small quotes are good. I think it's even worse to read someone's response and have no clue who they're responding to. I usually shorten my quotes to a couple of lines.

GirchyGirchy

View Public Profile

Send a private message to GirchyGirchy

Send email to GirchyGirchy

Visit GirchyGirchy's homepage!

Find More Posts by GirchyGirchy

Add GirchyGirchy to Your Buddy List

[img]images/statusicon/post_new.gif[/img] 22 Minutes Ago #5
    LBguy
    mellow

It's not a big deal IMO.

LBguy

View Public Profile

Send a private message to LBguy

Find More Posts by LBguy

Add LBguy to Your Buddy List

[img]images/statusicon/post_new.gif[/img] 1 Minute Ago #6
    Speedüb Nate
    1FG! (uh... 14x)
    [img]image.php?u=234077&dateline=1072983549[/img]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LBguy
    It's not a big deal IMO.

What's not a big deal?

[img]images/statusicon/user_offline.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/report.gif[/img]

Speedüb Nate

View Public Profile

Send a private message to Speedüb Nate

Send email to Speedüb Nate

Visit Speedüb Nate's homepage!

Find More Posts by Speedüb Nate

Add Speedüb Nate to Your Buddy List

[img]images/buttons/reply.gif[/img]

[img]images/buttons/collapse_tcat.gif[/img] [img]images/buttons/quickreply.gif[/img] Quick Reply
    [img]images/editor/removeformat.gif[/img]
    [img]images/editor/separator.gif[/img] [img]images/editor/bold.gif[/img]
    [img]images/editor/italic.gif[/img]
    [img]images/editor/underline.gif[/img]
    [img]images/editor/separator.gif[/img] [img]images/editor/quote.gif[/img]

Options