mtbr member
    Jun 2014

replacing '99 Judy C with rigid fork...suggestions?

Hey everyone!

I'm converting my '99 Dean 853 steel frame into a commuter bike. I Know that may sound like blasphemy but its my spare ride I've had it forever and I love it so much that I want to ride it every day around town. Its treated me well for years and I want to give it a new life, and protect it. The Judy C that's on it is great but the 9mm through axle wont let me toss on locking skewers and since I'm going to be riding on pavement a rigid steel fork sound like the best option. Something that allows for a rack and fender would be a nice bonus too.

I measured the the Judy C. Its 1 1/8" threadless, has 3 inches of travel, and seams to be about 430mm axle to crown. So considering suspension adjustment I think I need a 425mm. Also I'm sticking with my V-Brakes.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has done a similar conversion. I'm looking for a strong and sturdy light fork. I think my options are either a Salsa CroMoto or a Surly Big Dummy. Let me know if you can think of a better option. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have used a Surly 1x1 on my old Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo frame. I've used it on the trails and on the road and it's solid. Nice to have the option to go to disc brakes in the future too. Nice and light (compared to a suspension fork), burly, and dead sexy. Only thing worth noting is that the drop outs are much thinner than on a suspension fork. If the skewer nut that you're planning on using will not allow you to thread the nut further down the skewer to accomodate a slightly thinner drop-out, you may have to cut it down the skewer. No biggee, but then your skewer may not be backwards compatible to something with a thicker dropout.

Air Pirate
    I ran a full-rigid drop bar bike a while ago with a Surly Instigator fork. Was solid and allowed either disc or v-brake. It put up with my Clyde weight riding on all types of trails around Northern California. I can't recommend that fork enough.

replacing '99 Judy C with rigid fork...suggestions?-2012-08-31-10.37.18.jpg
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    If you have the money, you can get a custom fork. Chris Igleheart has been making forks since back when he worked for Fat City and made their hot segmented fork. He got hit by a car last year and with no insurance, I try to support him and drum up business for him whenever I can. Any size and spec you need.

Igleheart Custom Frames and Forks
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    ^^I was thinking this an hour ago. You reading my mind?

Also, I would recommend against an instigator fork--for commuting, at least.
    (FWIW, BCCB--I own three of them and love them, not talking trash. )

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    ^^I was thinking this an hour ago. You reading my mind?
    I love propaganda! I also have a rigid fork fetish so that helps...
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Live 2 Ride
    How about a Kona Project 2?
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Shoulda thrown the Troll fork out there--possible rear rack on the front action--if you're on a budget.

GOB: The internet would be a lousy hangout if you hated propaganda...