mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Replacement grips, any suggestions?

I have a regular round set of handlebar grips and wear padded gloves but have found my palms get very numb and fatiqued after a short while of riding. Is there a popular grip that the forum uses that I could purchase to replace mine? I didn't think about it until i saw a guy on the trail w/ a unique design, something flarred vs. the simple round style like mine.
    appreciate the input...

mtbr member
    I tried Ergons and didn't like 'em for trails. IMO ODI Rogue, the lock on variety, are the best. Wider/thicker, very grippy and squishy.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    have a set of egros and i like em thus far, but only had em for a year. they did take away some of the numbness, took some getting used to, and yes, make sure you get a type which clamp.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Odi makes nice grips. I have found that I am in between their Rogue and Ruffians though. Specialized has a pair similar to the rogue and they fit my hands perfect. Check fit before you buy.

As for the types of grips you're referring to, Ergons. They feel great to me until I actually put em on my bars. Wasn't a fan when on the trails. You might like them though. They come in different sizes so dont buy online, test in the shop. Titec makes some that are contoured like Ergons but not as pronounced a shape. Might want to check those too. REI carries them.

Also, you could need to raise your bars or try a looser grip. I had the death grip problem and had to force myself to loosen up.

Hope this helps.

The Original Suspect
    I have two sets of these and love them! The larger area for your palm makes a difference IMO. Thumbs no longer fall asleep either.

ERGON BIKE ERGONOMICS

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Re: Replacement grips, any suggestions?

+1 odi rogue lock on

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Scott scale team 29er
    Easton Haven Carbon bars
    Odi lock on rogue grips

slow
    I have been running Ergon on one bike for about 3 years and when I got an additional bike, I tried it for several rides with the Oury grips that were on it before realizing I needed to change to Ergon. My riding style tends toward XC and endurance, but with quite a bit of technical climbing and descending thrown in.

Grips, like saddles, are so personal and riding styles so different that you may be best using the trial end error method rather than someone else's suggestions. It might be more expensive to order and install and ride several types, but probably worth it in the end, especially if you can sell off the ones you did not like on craigslist.

Replacement grips, any suggestions?-2012-11-09_21-37-48_428.jpg

The Original Suspect
    ^ What Sgltrak said, but I'll add: if you have an REI membership, they sell Ergon grips...buy some, try them, take them back if you don't like them. But you will probably dig them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Oury Grips USA

Thank me later.
    Gone are the days we stopped to decide,
    Where we should go,
    We just ride...

mtbr member
    This could have nothing to do with the grips, but everything to do with cockpit/bike setup and fit. Grips are purely a personal choice and honestly, I have never had a set I hated. I like my current Specialized Grappler grips.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Yes, make sure that your bike is fitted properly to your body. Then save some money and some weight off your bike buy installing a pair of ESI "chunky" foam grips in what ever color you like.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Yes you need to strive for the best fit possible, it is paramount. I have tweaked and tinkered with mine for years and have found the sweet spot but when I tried Ergons I found them to be much more..... ergonomic. Yes, even for trails and climbing. Grips, like a lot of things are a personal choice, and this person is not going back to round anytime soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Been using Ergon's for years and love them.

No Stranger to danger....
    ODI ROGUES, ive tried dozens of grips and for me nothing is better, nice soft rubber, nice size which is nice and thick but not too thick, heaps of rubber padding for your hands, nice clip on end cap, google them OP and check them out, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    here's another one for ODI Rogues. They are comfortable and grippy without getting overly sticky. I like Oury's alot as well but they don't allow for end caps which caused my handle bars to work through on 2 pairs. i also prefer the ODI lock method which makes it easier to remove and replace if need be.
    If only Sikorsky made bikes...

Old N Slow
    ODI Rogues fitted on my BMX, XC and DH bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    esi grips .. used to run odi(tried differnt models)-- and my hands would be soooo sore after long rides... Guy at the shop suggested esi saying it helps on vibrations -- figured it was worth a shot-- tried them out and they are great.. Hands feel much better.. Plus they are lighter and last a long time..

mtbr member
    Ergos all the way

Dropshot Champ!
    definitely get the bike fit dialed and go with ESI.

Used to run ODI rogues/ruffs and damn...esi chunkys I can ride all day epics...gloveless.

never going back to odi. esi all day!