Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    @Deef: Stop teasing. Do you have something to show us?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I don't have no stinking warranty issues. Both my Fox's are out of warranty anyway. I am interested in either system that can be marketable. etch, did you weld the cable stop on the back of the fork? If so, is there a way around that?

mtbr member

Mongo want!

Me want. Where can buy? Me have paypal (and a woody)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    alshead ...dont think there will be any warranty issues as it can all be removed and the original manual lever refitted if required......the torsion spring needs to fixed in two positions one in the underneath of the top cap and the other fixing made so that the spring does not just rotate without tensioning the spring ......i did this by making a bush which is pressed over the central shaft you can see when the topcap is removed.
    I tried to make several topcaps from aluminium stock but the octagonal shape in the center is quite hard to get right thats why i ended up using the original topcap .
    I would have to look how much it would cost to get topcaps made now i have all the dimensions......the springs are less than a pound and i paid 26 for the poploc and cable i really didnt think there would be a market for this! just wanted to convert mine cuz i have some rockshox remote lockout forks on my other bike and wanted the same for my Anthem.
    I suppose price of machined topcaps would be dependant on volume.
    Yourdaguy......the cable stop is not welded to the fork it is held in place with a taper locking bush which fits up inside the steerer tube.........the type that holds front mudguards in place

Rod
    Endorphin Junkie
    That looks awesome and I would love to have one. If you guys get something for the market send me a pm.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    PM hell! Subscribe to the thread and they will announce. These guys are too busy inventing to send every interested party a PM

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    PM hell! Subscribe to the thread and they will announce. These guys are too busy inventing to send every interested party a PM
    Ok, I'm subscribed!

Thanks,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi all forum Users

Alshead and Deef You have done very interesting projects. I am also currently working on implementing the concept of remote control for my Fox. But there is one problem. Most of the homemade construction is based on the use of RockShox Pop Lock shifters. But this is an effective pitch shifter links 17 mm. In this position, the Fox lockout lever fork IMHO seems to be too strong compression, especially for XC riding. Full turn Fox lockout lever is about 50 mm and shifters RockShox Pop lock is not able to handle it. Have You ever wondered how to solve this problem?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    robothack: according to the Fox manual the lever does basically nothing for most of its travel. It completely locks in the last 5 mm or so. It is not a variable lever. It is either on or off. Basically you only partially open it from the locked position but this has no effect on performance. I believe this was mentioned earlier in this thread.

mtbr member
    Yes- the Fox lever is either on or off (no increase in compression or anything like that in a Rock Shox- the lockout is actually a lockout). The swing to get it to open is less than 15mm- often less than 90 degrees from lockout.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by etch
    Hi new to this site and stumbled across this thread , i made a remote lockout for my RL fox forks and thought i would share it with you this has been on my Anthem for around 3 months and works like a dream.........using the rockshox lockout idea and a poploc i converted the fox lever by removing the lug and machining a aluminium ring to press fit around it ,then added a cable guide piece.......it returns via a torsion spring situated under the lockout ....(you dont want exposed springs which can get caught or full of dirt!) i have added a couple of pics and will add a video of the lockout working when i can.

Why does the rebound knob turn with the lockout?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have a fork Fox 32 F-Series RL 120 Trawel produced at the end of 2009. Change the location of the lockout lever will increase compression and rotate the lever clockwise Fully lockout the fork.
    yourdaguy: According to the Fox manual

"... the blue compression lockout lever is located below the red rebound adjuster knob. It Allows the rider to close the compression damping circuit in the fork. This keeps the fork at the top of its travel, making it harder to compress. Rotate Fully clockwise the lever to lockout the fork ... "

There is a need to Fox lockout lever could move about 180 degrees but it is difficult to implement.
    Last edited by robothack; 03-29-2011 at 12:56 PM.

mtbr member
    @Robothack: I've never seen this to be true. The only compression adjustment on the 32mm Fox forks are on RLC's and RLT's and it's a separate dial. I imagine there might be some minor bit where the valve isn't all the way released and it might affect the compression a little, but if you look at the internals of these forks, you'll see what I mean.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    the-one1.......the rebound dial turns with the lockout because of thre spring arrangement i use underneath the lockout, this does not effect the rebound in any way as you basically set the rebound as you would with the lockout off and your not using rebound when the forks are locked out.
    Robothack...there is no compression setting on the RL fork......The RLC fork does have compression setting and has a seperate dial for this underneath the lockout lever.
    I have found that on the RL fork the lockout lever needs very little movement to go between on/off lockout..........less than 15degrees of movement so the rockshox poploc levers are ideal for this purpose ,like i have said i have been using my lockout system for the last 3months without any problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Wow... a lot of things seem to have been changed since I last checked!

Anyone have any ideas for an RLC version yet?

Also I'm based in the UK and I'm sure there would be a lot of interest over here- I have friends Stateside you could post to and I could receive on this end.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Alshead in my fork so it works. Change the location of the lockout lever Will Increase compression and rotate the lever clockwise Fully lockout the fork. In this position, is completely blocked.
    Yes, the RLC's and RLT's have a separate dial, but it is adjusting the Low-Speed ​​Compression it is similar to ProPedal function.
    Soon I should finish my project so I will tell how it works.

mtbr member

Manual?

Quote Originally Posted by robothack
    Alshead in my fork so it works. Change the location of the lockout lever Will Increase compression and rotate the lever clockwise Fully lockout the fork. In this position, is completely blocked.
    Yes, the RLC's and RLT's have a separate dial, but it is adjusting the Low-Speed ​​Compression it is similar to ProPedal function.
    Soon I should finish my project so I will tell how it works.
    I'm not trying to be a contrarian, but I just don't think that's how the fork is designed. You mentioned earlier that it says something about it in your manual/ instructions. All of Fox's manuals/ instructions are online and there's nothing in there about the blue lever on an RL serving as a compression damping lever- only lockout (http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...09_OM_eng.htm).

I am aware that between fully locked out and about 90 degrees open, there might be some "sense" of compression, but I don't think it serves to moderate compression otherwise.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    According to the Fox manual page 74 http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...9EnglishOM.pdf

"... the blue compression lockout lever is located below the red rebound adjuster knob. It Allows the rider to close the compression damping circuit in the fork. This keeps the fork at the top of its travel, making it harder to compress. Rotate Fully clockwise the lever to lockout the fork ... "

mtbr member

Locked out= harder to compress.

Quote Originally Posted by robothack
    According to the Fox manual page 74 http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tec...9EnglishOM.pdf

Again, not trying to be argumentative- but I read this as "WHEN you close the compression damping circuit (meaning, locked out), it keeps the fork at the top of its travel."

Both the way I read it, and from my experience riding many Fox forks and overhauling probably 50 of them, the blue lever does not have a graduated effect on the damping circuit. It is locked out or not locked out. Again, totally open to being wrong, but this is my experience and my understanding of how this circuit works.

mtbr member
    FWIW, the remote kit throws the lever either on or off. No adjustable compression. I know this doesn't "prove" anything... I'm just sayin'

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    According to my subjective feelings (I have no way to measure it ) for me it works like this
    Attached Images Attached Images  

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    robothack if you look at the parts of the fork taken apart it would be apparent that your impressions are not true. The way it works the port is either open or closed and it only closes in the last few degrees. Your picture could be right at 70% and lockout, because right before the port is closed, it is partially blocked. The 30 and 50 % areas are no compression areas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Update: almost al the parts are ready. Including a new type cap for the air valve!
    Soon there will be pictures.
    My lockout is working on a smaller radius. So when you use the RS lever there is enough rotation for full unlock/no compression.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hi Bikers i finished my project version 1 a remote lockout for my Fox 32 F 120 RL fork. Conception is based on the rockshox poploc lockout, modified the Fox blue compression lockout lever by hole for cable and cable bolt nut, the hole for the spring and modified rope handle and spring from Manitou MILO Adjuster Knob Kit. The torsion spring situated under the lockout lever. The system operates satisfactorily but i discussed earlier this is an effective pitch shifter links 17 mm and in this position, the Fox lockout lever fork IMHO seems to be too strong compression for XC. Perhaps in the next version of the system will operate in full adjustment needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote Lockout Fox RL-robot_remote_fox_1.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-robot_remote_fox_2.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-robot_remote_fox_3.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-robot_remote_fox_4.jpg  

mtbr member
    @ Robothack: Looks awesome- I'd love to see a picture of the spring setup inside. I liked your graphic, but I agree with @yourdaguy. I think there is some partial closing that you can feel between 75-100% (90 degrees, FWIW), but beyond 75% (I'd say more like 80% on my forks), there is no effective compression. The port is open.

@yourdaguy: Yeah- what he said

@Deef: Looking forward to it! Will your design work with an RLC? You're going to have a lot of interested folks if you can price them right.

@Everyone else: I have two remote lockout levers (Rockshox Poploc) for sale if you want to try your own tinkering...

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast