Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    When I clicked on the link and saw the picture of the parts my face got a big smile on it. Since I have been on this thread since the beginning, can I be the first to order 2 sets?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You still can't be first because "deano machineo" is first and i am second ( i want 6 in blue).

mtbr member
    Looks great Deef

Made in Holland

You got a PM via mountainbike.nl

Hope to see the finished product soon

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    wow, that looks amazing - I'm giving up on my custom project now!!!!

How much $ Deef?? will it include the cable and remote lever?

mtbr member
    Very bling- love it. Same here- no need to proceed with my own project at this point- this looks great (as long as it's also affordable). I recently did the Internal Retaining Ring w/ Spring mod and it works great on my SS, but this would be perfect for my FS rig.

1) I'd love to see it in action.
    2) What colors are going to be available?
    3) How much and what's included (and can you pick and choose sets?)
    4) Timeline?

Nice work.

Rovers and Bikes
    Nov 2008
    Wow! Those parts look great. Put me down for a few when they become available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    And now that you appear to have mastered this maybe you could consider work for a RLC!?

LOOKS AMAZING!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm in too, just need some pricing and lead time information. It'd be great to get some action shots/video up regardless so the masses can see how well it works.
    "I applaud your stupid idea because it is genius." - Eric Sovern, Surly

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Weight Deef parts 13.34 gram, poplockk 54.4 gram.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Love the logo on the level. Please start selling these!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I want to buy one set too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Deef,
    The parts look exquisite! Like everyone else, how do I buy? Just ordered the TwinLock for it from Scott.

Al,
    Thanks for keeping the dialogue going all these months since last December. You demonstrated that there is still a big demand. You did us all a great service when back then this thread had gone dead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    where do I sent my PayPal? How much?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hello,
    there are at this moment 3 complete kits not yet reserved.
    The complete kit with poplock lever will cost 150,- euro (without shipping cost)
    The red knob will cost 20,- euro.

If you want a kit, you can send a private message on this forum.
    I`ll send back an email when I reserve a kit for you.

Thanks,
    Dave

mtbr member
    Last edited by alshead; 05-22-2011 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member

DIY Tutorial for Remote Lockout

Okay- those parts are SCHWEEET! No doubt that's about the best solution we've seen yet. HOWEVER, the price is a little steep for this fella. 150 Euro is $213 US as of today and that's before shipping. I'm sure that they'll sell to a few, select, elite folks (the same guys who buy ti bolts for their water bottle cages), but I don't think it's going to reach a broad market. Fox used to sell a kit that was really nice for $150 and I thought that was too much...

SOOOO- for anyone who's interested, I've put together a little DIY blog tutorial to help folks figure out/ get started on making your own lockout. You can do this for less than $50 and less than $10 if you have an old top-mount lever sitting around. If you've been following this thread, you know I was working on a solution earlier in the winter, but the system was having some problems (breaking) and we bailed on it. Many ideas in my current configuration are borrowed from other folks on this thread like Yourdaguy, Etch and Robothack (thanks, gents). My DIY tutorial is by no means the right way to do it, or the only way, but I wanted to put something together that would show the whole process and how it goes together.

For some reason, I can't post a direct link to the blog, so go to www.alshub.com and in the upper right, click on the "DIY Fox Remote Lockout." There are some parts/ pieces that I haven't figured out (especially for RLC users), so I'm very open for suggestions and will change/ update the blog as necessary so we can have a DIY tutorial that will really work for folks.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Anyone understand how Deef's spring system works internally? I can't make hide nor hair of how it secures inside...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    alshead. Why not use a small spring about 2" long between the cable housing stop and the lock-out lever. A spring type like the one you used to cut your spring out of only smaller in diamater. I am using a Fox lock-out lever on the handlebars and it has an automatic stop, once you push the lever. If the spring i sugested works, it will try to close the gap between the cable stop and the lock-out lever. What do you think?

mtbr member
    @ Doralswheels: It's an awesome idea. If you go back to page 2 of this thread, you'll see that I was playing with lots of ideas/ setups for a few months last winter. I had a setup that was exactly what you're talking about- I had a compression spring (slid over the cable) between the cable stop and lever. There were a few problems with this- the most problematic is that, as the forks come from the factory, there is sometimes a bit of "stiction" when the lockout lever is pulled/pushed into the lockout position with some force (essentially, the little washer/ seal that creates the lockout by sealing off ports at the bottom of the damper builds up surface tension, and therefore needs some pressure to release- lots of places [PUSH, really good shops, etc] will actually take a super light sandpaper and wetsand the surface of this seal so that it breaks that tension easier)- so... the spring has to be pretty strong, while at the same time being small, able to compress/ extend enough to push the lever 90 degrees, not buckle on compression, nimble enough to curve naturally around the lever without binding the cable with friction, and not break/ move the cable stop (in whatever form). This can definitely be done, but I did not find that the spring with that magic combination in my tooling around. The torsion spring works great has the bonus of being a little more elegant. If you look at some of the solutions by others on youtube, you'll see some that are like what you're describing- some with a rubber-ish compression system of some sort. I think those are also compelling, but I don't know where to get those pieces/ parts (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzkdN...eature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09yk2jMIOM&NR=1). If we can find where to buy that stuff or what to tell people to look for, I'll include it in the tutorial as another option.

I have no interest in my way being the right way, I just want to share some ideas and come up with some relatively simple and relatively cheap (<$50? <$100?), but effective and reliable, possibly even elegant(?) solutions. $150 is too much to spend ($200 even moreso) when we could collectively come up with something that does it all and doesn't look like you just JB Welded or zip-tied a bunch of crap to your fork. Even better if it doesn't require too much technical expertise (which is what we were shooting for with our design- a "snap-on" setup of sorts.

Keep the ideas and the info coming.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm new to biking. I have was wondering if you had anything for a rockshox dart 3, or if anyone else makes something for it. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I have a virtually no cost solution that has been working perfectly for over a week. I will post pictures later. Deef's stuff is nice, but it is too nice and costs way too much. Alshead has some good ideas, but the parts sourcing is sketchy. I wish Alshead would go into production on the plastic parts he had. They should be reasonably priced and work fine.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Just some double stick clear mounting tape on the top of the crown and 3 zip ties, a spring, and a used cable end.

Remote Lockout Fox RL-niner-fleet-pictures-030.jpg
    Remote Lockout Fox RL-niner-fleet-pictures-031.jpg
    Remote Lockout Fox RL-niner-fleet-pictures-035.jpg

The double stick mounting tape seems to grip harder over time so I am not expecting any problems with this setup long term. Not all that pretty, but not that ugly either considering this is my commuter bike.

The real good news about this solution is that it will work equally well for my RLC which is my next project as soon as I find another spring similar to this one I had laying around.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Just a follow up note. I have one of those 3rd hand tools that really gets the zip ties tight. If I didn't have one of these, I don't know if the zip ties would be tight enough to hold. Also, I obviously drilled the end of the blue Fox lever in order to pass the cable through. The cable housing is the stock cable that came with the pop-lock and has a fairly substantial metal end on it that is most of an inch long. I put the cable housing on the tape and put 2 very tight zip ties on it with the 3rd hand. I then depressed the pop-lock and moved the lever to the lockout position with the spring on the cable. I drilled the end out of the aluminum cable crimp thingy so the cable could slide through.

With the lever in the lockout position and the pop-lock depressed and the spring compressed, I pulled all the slack out of the cable and crimped the aluminum dohicky a few times and then cut the cable at the end of the dohicky with my trusty Park cable cutter. This done, there was enough slack that the fork would not lock out completely. I was able to pull very hard on the cable housing to move it slightly to the perfect position so that everything worked just right. I then put a 3rd zip tie over the other 2 again with a 3rd hand tool to totally lock down the position.

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Now thats amazing^^ KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID never fit so well. That should work no problem on my RLC, but I got another idea. 3M makes this extremely strong "velcro lock" stuff I seen/used when I bought an ipass, when I lived in IL. The sticky side was super strong on the window/ipass device, as well as the "velcro" part stuck together amazingly well. A cable guide on the top sticky end might make it a lil cleaner looking, but with basically the same design. Great job, yourdaman!

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I actually have some of the velcro you are talking about and for this application I feel the stuff I used works better and is less noticeable since it is clear. However, the velcro would probably work too. I rode around the driveway tonight and set and released it 50-75 times and it still works great.

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    They make the 3M Dual-lock in clear, and they have a bunch of different levels of stiction for bothe the "velcro" side and the sticky tape side. I'm gonna machine a small piece of aluminum for the cable clamp. I THINK the Dual-lock will hold the aluminum better then regular 2 sided sticky tape. So basically dual-lock stuck to the fork, then the aluminum cable clamp on that. I think it'll be pretty clean looking. I need a poploc though. U think the adjustable one would help with fine tuning? I'm not too sure it would...?

mtbr member
    This is great, guys- yourdaguy- you definitely have a simple solution. I had something very similar setup, but after about 2-3 weeks on the trail (again, on pretty abusive, rocky mountain trails- not commuting), the cable started to slip all the time- when you described that there was too much slack in the cable and then you pulled the housing back and it's been better- that was the problem I started to have EVERY ride (if not several times). It's a decent patchwork solution, but for bumpy terrain, I think it'll start to have issues over time. I love the simplicity, but there's also no adjustability for cable stretch and the like (e.g., housing often beds into the cable ferrules over time, requiring adjustment). The other issue I had with this exact same setup was the spring. If I had a spring that was strong enough to push the lever back, it was so strong when compressed that it was moving that housing just enough to change the slack in the cable and make the system not work. Maybe you found a spring with the "magic spot" tension, but I didn't.

Not sure what you mean by the parts sourcing is sketchy- other than the cable stop piece, everything was from a hardware or automotive store. I wish our plastic stuff was good enough to sell, but we just had too many problems with the setups we tried and I didn't want to sell you guys some stuff only to have it break a few weeks later. I now have a new baby and no time to spend on this project, but maybe I'll try to find a machinist to do something with it next winter...

mtbr member
    oh yeah- and, again, SOME fox forks are pretty sticky in the initial release from lockout. The seal on the damper gets a little stiction and needs a good deal of force to release- not all forks, but some- mine happened to be one, and that's part of why I needed a pretty strong spring to make it work...

mtbr member
    Can anyone make sense of how Deef's system works internally? There appears to be a ring that sits down in the shaft and has a spring attached to the lockout cap, but I can't tell how it secures in place internally... thinking about talking to a machinist and finding out what this wold cost to develop...

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Alshead, the unavailability of the plastic piece was what I was referring to in the "sketchy parts" remark. In my comments, I stressed the need for a 3rd hand tool. Mine is so tight that I can (and have) jerked on it pretty hard with no movement. As low pressure as my system is, I don't foresee much stretch. If it does stretch, there is actually extra length in the released cable that it would take an even longer spring to push out to. If I need to, I can put a small piece of a cut crimp thingy between the current one and the Fox lever taking up any slack. I was worried about reliability too and that is why I tested it and tried to be hard on it for a week before I posted it. I would bet money this will function reliably for a long time. I am the lucky one, my Fox lever takes very little pressure to move. I also have an RLC which I am going to do this to pending a spring.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Deef's part fits around the 6 sides of the head cap and there is a screw to clamp it down. You can see the screw below the cable stop. The cable stop only has to stop the cable housing because the positive pressure of the cable will hold it against the cable stop. It is like a cable stop seat clamp that some use on cross bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    Alshead, the unavailability of the plastic piece was what I was referring to in the "sketchy parts" remark. In my comments, I stressed the need for a 3rd hand tool. Mine is so tight that I can (and have) jerked on it pretty hard with no movement. As low pressure as my system is, I don't foresee much stretch. If it does stretch, there is actually extra length in the released cable that it would take an even longer spring to push out to. If I need to, I can put a small piece of a cut crimp thingy between the current one and the Fox lever taking up any slack. I was worried about reliability too and that is why I tested it and tried to be hard on it for a week before I posted it. I would bet money this will function reliably for a long time. I am the lucky one, my Fox lever takes very little pressure to move. I also have an RLC which I am going to do this to pending a spring.
    Awesome. Your setup definitely worked better than my similar one. And I agree about the sketchiness of the cable stop piece- it's not a great solution which is why we never really sold them or pursued that project further
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Broke as a joke
    Jun 2009
    Alshead, u still have those poplocs for sale?

mtbr member
    Deef's part fits around the 6 sides of the head cap and there is a screw to clamp it down. You can see the screw below the cable stop. The cable stop only has to stop the cable housing because the positive pressure of the cable will hold it against the cable stop. It is like a cable stop seat clamp that some use on cross bikes.
    That part I get. What I don't understand is the spring system. There are round pieces w grooves and screw holes that look like they sit down inside the fork assembly - like where the internal retaining ring and spring are in my setup - but I dint understand how it stays in place...
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gokart2 View Post
    Alshead, u still have those poplocs for sale?
    No sir. Yourdaguy bought em a while back

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I believe he has a circular spring inside the cap since his cap is bigger than stock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Has anyone heard from Deef regarding his kits? He isn't responding to his PMs for several months. Alshead, for us non technical guys have you decided to not create your kits?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Read the thread. Deef made exactly 4 kits and sold them for over $200 each.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So yourdaguy, how have you been corresponding with him? For us non technical people there doesn't seem to be many alternatives.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I haven't been corresponding with him. I am not a technical person as far as making parts. I am just an improviser.

My method requires not a single part be made. Buy a pop-lock, zip ties, mounting tape, a spring and a cable thingie.

Tools: small drill bit, drill, cable cutter, 3rd hand tool, blade or scissors to cut the tape.

I realize that not everyone has a 3rd hand tool or a cable cutter, but if you can't borrow them then possibly a buddy or a bike shop could do the actual labor. Maybe the next time you are at the trail, you can bring a picture and try to talk some of your buddies into helping you.

I am not selling anything, I am just a problem solver. I waited over 2 years on Deef to come up with a solution and when he didn't solve my problem, I solved it myself. I think Deef's parts are really nice and would be very happy to buy them at a reasonable price, but they are not available so we have to improvise.

mtbr member

Interest is high

I believe he has a circular spring inside the cap since his cap is bigger than stock.
    I don't know if I'm being dense, but I still don't get it. There are four parts shown in the picture. One is a topcap for the air side, another is a cable stop (that can't be used on an RLC/ RLT), then there's a lockout lever- this replaces the blue lockout lever- then there's a fourth piece- I assume this is some sort of anchor for the spring, but I don't understand what it secures to and how it "anchors". I'm trying to figure this out because I might put some more effort into designing something that doesn't cost $200+.

Quote Originally Posted by hsolorza View Post
    Has anyone heard from Deef regarding his kits? He isn't responding to his PMs for several months. Alshead, for us non technical guys have you decided to not create your kits?
    We bailed on our kits- the plastic that they were being made out of is super light and pretty strong, but simply not strong enough. We might still try to pursue something and I'll keep folks posted- there is obviously some interest and demand- if we could put something out for sub $60, seems like it could be a great solution... we'll see. Anyone know any machinists?

Quote Originally Posted by hsolorza View Post
    So yourdaguy, how have you been corresponding with him? For us non technical people there doesn't seem to be many alternatives.
    I haven't been corresponding with him. I am not a technical person as far as making parts. I am just an improviser.

My method requires not a single part be made. Buy a pop-lock, zip ties, mounting tape, a spring and a cable thingie.

Tools: small drill bit, drill, cable cutter, 3rd hand tool, blade or scissors to cut the tape.

I realize that not everyone has a 3rd hand tool or a cable cutter, but if you can't borrow them then possibly a buddy or a bike shop could do the actual labor. Maybe the next time you are at the trail, you can bring a picture and try to talk some of your buddies into helping you.

I am not selling anything, I am just a problem solver. I waited over 2 years on Deef to come up with a solution and when he didn't solve my problem, I solved it myself. I think Deef's parts are really nice and would be very happy to buy them at a reasonable price, but they are not available so we have to improvise.
    FWIW- I was in touch with Deef for a couple of PM's about 5 weeks ago (May 7th)- I offered to do some distribution for him in the US- he could sell me 5-10 at a discounted price and I would sell them here, etc-- that was before he put a price tag on them- He said he sold his kits in Holland, so I'm sure SOME would sell here, but not likely to many on this forum . I know it's too rich for my blood.

I like yourdaguy's solution- simple, effective, cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote Lockout Fox RL-deef2.jpg  

Last edited by alshead; 06-17-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: add picture

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Deefs topcap appears to be taller than the stock one in the installed pictures. My guess is that that piece on the left sits under the top cap and holds the tension on a spring by securing to the fork cap below. Then the top cap and rebound adjuster are installed over it after preloading the spring.

I would pay $60 for Deefs parts, but that is not an option. I guess the main advantage my system has other than price and availability, is that it will work for an RLC too.

mtbr member

I'm thick

Okay- but HOW does it "secure to the fork cap below"? I'm not trying to be difficult, I truly just don't understand. There's nothing there to secure it to. There is a cylinder inside the hole, and nothing to secure it to... here's a picture of my internal retaining ring installed, but it shoes the inside of the topcap after the blue lockout lever and rebound knob are removed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote Lockout Fox RL-retaining-ring-.jpg  

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Where you have your circlip, he has that piece. The topcap spins the brass colored part (the outer six sided part of it) and the red rebound adjuster spins the 2 flat sided part in the very center. The top cap has little bearings that run on the circle just outside the brass colored parts. That circle and all the rest is fixed. I hope you can generate some parts, because it would be nice if even the non-technical guys could do this.

mtbr member
    Now I'm just laughing. Yes, I get that his piece goes where my circlip goes and I understand how the internals work... what I don't understand is HOW his piece anchors inside of there. See, the whole point of the circlip is to anchor the spring- as far as I can tell, if that's how his worked, it would just spin. How does it keep from spinning?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    It looks like it is tapped for screws. The screws probably brace against the other metal parts in some manner.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here's what I came up with. Thanks to those that have been working on this topic for a while, I took a lot of the information found from this thread. I based my setup off the Fox/Shimano lever from the RP2 rear shock system. It doesn't pull/release that much cable (only about 1/4 inch) but I found that's all the fork lockout lever needs to release. I original started with a spring to put pressure on the lever to release, but found a piece of surgical tubing to work way better. Don't get any spring binding anymore. The bracket I fabricated with a strip of aluminum and added a little cable stop from the bike shop to hold the cable in place. Painted it black for aesthetics.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Good job 103!.

Just a few follow up notes. I drilled the first lever on the shock and I did my RLC yesterday and decided to drill it off the shock. One of those little ball bearings fell out and I spent 30 minutes looking for it. If you take the blue lever off, be very careful not to lose any of the bearings. Also, if you do take it off, I used a small dab of grease to hold the bearings in place and when I reattached it, it seemed to be silky smooth.

Also, I think I forgot to mention both of my blue levers are rotated one position in a clockwise direction from stock. In other words, my lever closes at the 7:00 o'clock position looking down from the bike. If you notice 103's pictures, that is the stock closing position 5:00 o'clock. This works without binding from the front position I am coming from. 103 solved the problem by coming from the rear. His solution is tidier looking but does require minimal fabrication.

Also, the pop-locks that alshead sold me were one left and one right. I have now used both of them and can verify that either position works with the stock cables on my medium Niners. Taller riders might need to have slightly longer cables in order not the have a lot bend. The one on the RLC has a slightly shorter, stronger spring and it is perfect. The original one on the RL works great, I am just saying there is a difference of springs and if yours is not working to your satisfaction, you might try a different spring. The one I likes was aprox. 1.5" long .2" diam. and fairly strong.

mtbr member
    Nice work 103! Where did you get the strip if aluminum? I also realized one could use a star (more permanent) or compression nut (from a headset) to use as a plug for the bottom cable routing/ stop. Is that just standard surgical tubing? I tried some anklet rubber tubing when we were playing with different options, but it would bind and catch on the cable... Looks like the regular sized stuff would've done the trick. Bet you can get it in black .

Yourdaguy- where'd you get your springs?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    My local Ace Hardware has boxes of various size springs. I am certain I could find one like the ones I used, but I actually scrounged mine up from my work bench. I have bought similar springs at Ace in the past and if I had to do another one, I would have total confidence finding what I need there. Take you micrometer and get a spring that is 1.5" long and .2" diameter and fairly strong. The springs at Ace are rated by 3 numbers. The first is the length: you want inch and a half. The second is the diameter usually in 64ths or an inch: you want around 13/64 ths or slightly smaller. The 3rd number is the strength, I am not sure if it is in newtons, inch pounds or what, but go for a number around 30-35 or it might be .3-.35 I can't remember. Higher is stronger so just go for a number that starts with a 3.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast