mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pm sent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    alshead pm sent.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Remote Lockout Fox RL-111.jpgRemote Lockout Fox RL-112.jpgRemote Lockout Fox RL-113.jpgRemote Lockout Fox RL-114.jpgRemote Lockout Fox RL-115.jpg

mtbr member
    SantaCruzFlyer- awesome! How's it holding up? What lever is that?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goto11 View Post
    It sounds like you don't ride in a very mountainous/hilly region compared to me. Most of my trails require about 1000' of elevation gain (not distance, but vertical gain) before I get to top, then drop down into the good stuff. I climb in my middle ring. On most rides under 25 miles, I never shift into the granny... But there are those 30+ mile epics when a granny is nice to have at the end of a long day .

I am not an advocate of granny gears - they should be avoided - but I do think a wide gear ratio warrants the weight penalty for the terrain I ride. If I rode where you do, then a SS bike would probably be the ticket.

Ride on!
    I know that there's some baiting going on here, and I don't want to sidetrack a several year-old thread that, despite your opinions, continues to have contributions. I just think you have a very limited view of what is good and what is not good based on who you are as a rider and what/ how you ride. I also live in a very mountainous area. I ride XC/ AM like you- screaming as fast as I can down the downhills and trying to be as efficient as possible on the ups. I do high alpine epics and everything in between. Just when I'm thinking I'm pretty bada*s, I'll go for a several hour ride that includes hiking cornices and dropping into gnarly trails with a buddy who rides rigid SS. He's been doing so for years, and many, many are right there with him. SS is not a fad, 29ers are not a fad, suspension is not a fad and wanting to lockout your front suspension is not a fad. A "properly" adjusted front suspension is dictated by the rider- I'm very picky about mine, and many people I ride with don't know the first thing about theirs- but they love the ride. Most lockouts often have a threshold (often adjustable) to help you blow through when locked out- part of the beauty of the design and part of the intention.

But I digress- I think my main reason for wanting to respond is to say, why do you care? The best thing about bikes right now is how much they are proliferating. 650b's seem silly to me, but if they make someone smile and feel like they can charge a trail more confidently, then more power to both the rider and the company producing the bike. If someone wants to stand up for a whole climb and they can do it, more power to them! (fwiw, there is some debate about whether seated pedaling really is more efficient/ better on uphill/ technical terrain). If someone wants to (or needs to) use their granny gear the whole climb and sit back and spin, more power to them (why should granny be avoided?)! Some things will come and go, but there are more bicycles and more kinds of bicycles AND more kinds of riders than ever in the history of mankind. There are city sponsored bike parks popping up all over the country, trail systems are proliferating with more and more input from riders and attention to sustainability and flow/ fun, metropolitan areas are installing bike share/ rental programs all around the country... I don't care what someone rides, how fast, how slow, if they want to lock out or want to inch-worm their way up a trail on a 7" DH bike (or even walk it). I often ride SS and it makes me a better rider. I also run (gasp)- because it makes me a better rider. I think you not wanting to lockout is awesome. I think me (and several folks who have logged on to this and many other threads and, and the growth of remote lockout systems from manufacturers) wanting to lockout is awesome.

My guess is that we all enjoy the ride. Bikes is bikes is bikes is bikes.

Yay bikes.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Good job!

The lever is a Magura unit. Forget which one. Did a search for lockout pics and liked this one the best. Was hard to find. Lever throw stock was too long, so took it apart, a little dremel, and halfed the stroke. Lever action is light and secure. Also had to make a spacer so the lever would not contact Gripshift. Used it this past week in Breck on vacation. Did the 100 Sunday and used it often. So easy to get to and use that any time I stood up I could lock out. And with all the climbing and smooth sections locking out came in handy. I thank you for your design, it works great.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Now design something for the rear shock

mtbr member
    santacruzflyer- awesomeness! I was at the Breck (only did the 32) on Sunday as well- would've been fun to see the setup- happy it helped.

Here's a pitch to you Talas and rear shock people. I don't ride a Talas, and ride a HT SS and a Stumpy with a Brain, so I have no legitimate motivation for those mods. HOWEVER, if someone wants to put together some ideas/ design/ sketches, I'll see what I can do to adapt it. Without either, though, I won't be able to do any R&D, but might be able to help you get something designed and printed (manufactured) to try out.

Word.

mtbr member
    FWIW, I continue to see units being sold on the Shapeways shop- would love to hear/ see more feedback from folks- how they're holding up, etc.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    I bought one and tried to get it to work on a SID RCT3 which was not successful. I sold it to a buddy and last time I asked him all was well.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Good job!

been using mine flawlessly for over 8 months

mtbr member
    ^cool.

Yourdaguy- what didn't work on the RS? I haven't tried it, nor was it designed for it, but I'm curious. Thanks.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    It has 3 positions and I knew from the outset it was only going to shift between 2 of them, but I never could get it to work since there never seemed to be a combination of detent strength, spring strength, etc. to have it reliably shift between locked and the middle position or fully unlocked and the middle position. Maybe if I tried more springs, (I had 4 different springs) or more patience, I could have gotten it to work, but it probably would not work on the trail for very long. Then I was helping my buddy set his fork up for a remote by my crude method that doesn't use your part and I told him about it and showed him the part and he wanted to buy it and so I sold it to him.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    FWIW, I continue to see units being sold on the Shapeways shop- would love to hear/ see more feedback from folks- how they're holding up, etc.
    I just bought one today and plan to hack it onto my 2014 36 Talas using my now non-functioning (went to single ring) XTR front shifter (set to 2 positions). I will probably need to route it into the front as well. Messy but worth it to have remote.

mtbr member
    ^Cool! Let us know how it goes.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    The part that is getting hard to find is the remote lever. I bought the last 3 I could find (got them from Europe) about a year ago. It looks like I have one extra. It is a left side the original SRAM version without the adjuster. If interested PM me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mine is still working great. Getting close to a year

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy View Post
    The part that is getting hard to find is the remote lever. I bought the last 3 I could find (got them from Europe) about a year ago. It looks like I have one extra. It is a left side the original SRAM version without the adjuster. If interested PM me.
    If you jump on the single front ring craze ( I resisted for quite a while , but now see the real advantages) you will find that you have a perfectly ergo remote on the left side of your bars ready to go with a few mods.

I ordered a 90degree noodle for the cable routing piece I have coming, which will have to go in front of the fork.
    Cable pull on the XTR front shifter looks pretty close. Hoping for a 30 minute job once my cable guide gets here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Talas Remote with Shapeways

mtbr member
    ^Rad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    chasejj

I don't suppose you have a higher resolution photo of your cap mechanism do you ? I couldn't really understand your cable routing/termination at the cap from the video.
    I know its not rocket science and there are many ways to figure this out but I'm still interested in how you have that setup. Also is that the stock talas cap that came on your fork (and what year is it) ? Mine does not have a "lever" on it, its just a knurled blue cap, I'm not sure there is enough meat on there to run a cable through it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Never mind I must be a moron I went out and looked and my cap looks just like yours. Appreciate you sharing this info, I'm going to give it whirl. Been wanting something like this for a long time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi All, any advice on taking the Polished Strong & Flexible Plastic (smooth surface)or the 'normal' Strong & Flexible Plastic 3D print? I'm the owner of a Scott Scale 30 and would like to have a remote lockout on this bike.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13