Sep 2011
    Hello everyone,

I have this fork
    Fox Evolution 32 Float 29 RL, 100mm, Lockout
    CUBE*LTD SL 29

and I have found the following upgrade

Fox Forx RL Remote Upgrade Service Kit
    http://www.foxspares.com/shop/system...3Dposition1%26

Do you know if it is compatible and what else I am gonna need?

Will the upgrade with a RockShox PopLoc Adjust Lever be enough or is it better to follow the instructions here Als Hub Bicycle Maintenance and Repair and forget the rest?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Youthful- You've probably figured this out by now, but the kit you were looking at is, I believe, for a rear shock. Won't work or help you with the front fork.

mtbr member

Cable Guide Solution Available

Okay kids- this thread has more longevity than many bikes, so if any of y'all are still interested...

A few posts back, I mentioned that I had copied what 103 did (bottom of page 10) and that we were looking to provide something like that in a lightweight plastic. Well, at long last, it's ready. You can purchase it directly from the manufacturer. There is one for a tapered steerer tube and one for a standard 1 1/8 steerer. I'm at work now and will post a full tutorial and video later, but wanted to share it. I'm not making any money on this, but the plastic bits cost between $20-25 bucks (they are 3D printed- super cool). Basically, it's a guide for the cable housing that secures into the bottom of the steerer. You'll still need a screw and nut (I'll provide exactly what size), remote lever, a spring, and to drill your blue lockout lever and secure the cable (a few ways to do this). I have this set up on my F29 100mm RLC with a tapered steerer for the past couple of months and it's working great (pics, etc to come). Here are some static shots of the first prototype that I have mounted up and we made some minor revisions to the final product. If you want to check it out, the site is Shapeways and the links are here:

Tapered: Lockout Tapered by Ahead on Shapeways
    Standard: Lockout 1 1/8 by Ahead on Shapeways

When you go to the Shapeways site, click on the little 3D cube to the right of the image and you can see it spin in 3D and manipulate it. It's not a tinker-proof solution, but it's working really well, is clean, lightweight, and secures the cable so that it won't scoot in the middle of a ride and leave your system not working the way that zip-tying it did for me (might not for everyone- not trying to dis, that was just my experience). Oh- and they're available in black, white, or really any color you want (you can even have one printed out of steel or silver for beaucoup bucks). The little square piece attached on the side snips off and moves inside the vertical pieces to spread them out as it's pulled down (with screw and nut), secure the piece in place inside your steerer.

Word.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote Lockout Fox RL-screen-shot-2012-02-20-2.19.33-pm.png  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_0665.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_0667.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Light freak
    Nice job Al!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alshead View Post
    Okay kids- this thread has more longevity than many bikes, so if any of y'all are still interested...
    beatiful work al!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes, still interested!!!! More pictures of your system

JC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hello! I write from Spain ... I want to block my kit fox, can it be?

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    David-82 Look at post 172 and you can do it with a remote lockout and a random spring and some zip ties.
    Full rigid SS, Hardtail SS, Hardtail Geared, Full Suspension Geared.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Where I can buy the parts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    where I can buy a kit like Deef?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Youthful- You've probably figured this out by now, but the kit you were looking at is, I believe, for a rear shock. Won't work or help you with the front fork.
    No, it's not, and yes it does.
    Here's Fox's own service page describing the details of the kit: Remote RL Service Procedures.

I haven't checked with my local distributor whether it will work on my Float RL or not, but it looks promising.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    pmex: all those parts cost around $200 from Fox and take a rocket scientist to install. My solution requires a remote from RockShox that is way less than $50 and took me about 15 minutes to install and has worked flawlessly for close to a year. Also, the Fox solution weigh's more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Can anyone help me?

mtbr member
    Thanks to Al for making this a reality. I ordered my cable holder from Shapeways based on the design that Al provided. It works like a champ on my Fox F32 RLC 120mm travel fork paired with a poploc.

A few posts back, I mentioned that I had copied what 103 did (bottom of page 10) and that we were looking to provide something like that in a lightweight plastic. Well, at long last, it's ready. You can purchase it directly from the manufacturer. There is one for a tapered steerer tube and one for a standard 1 1/8 steerer. I'm at work now and will post a full tutorial and video later, but wanted to share it. I'm not making any money on this, but the plastic bits cost between $20-25 bucks (they are 3D printed- super cool). Basically, it's a guide for the cable housing that secures into the bottom of the steerer. You'll still need a screw and nut (I'll provide exactly what size), remote lever, a spring, and to drill your blue lockout lever and secure the cable (a few ways to do this). I have this set up on my F29 100mm RLC with a tapered steerer for the past couple of months and it's working great (pics, etc to come). Here are some static shots of the first prototype that I have mounted up and we made some minor revisions to the final product. If you want to check it out, the site is Shapeways and the links are here:

When you go to the Shapeways site, click on the little 3D cube to the right of the image and you can see it spin in 3D and manipulate it. It's not a tinker-proof solution, but it's working really well, is clean, lightweight, and secures the cable so that it won't scoot in the middle of a ride and leave your system not working the way that zip-tying it did for me (might not for everyone- not trying to dis, that was just my experience). Oh- and they're available in black, white, or really any color you want (you can even have one printed out of steel or silver for beaucoup bucks). The little square piece attached on the side snips off and moves inside the vertical pieces to spread them out as it's pulled down (with screw and nut), secure the piece in place inside your steerer.

Word.

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Good job! You could probably sell those on this list.

mtbr member
    Super cool to see one set up on someone else's bike than mine! I've had a few people buy them, but haven't heard any feedback. I will post some step-by-step's soon- what screws to buy (#6-32 x 1") and what spring to get (hoping ljracer can give me some direction on this as I have just cobbled mine together with springs I had lying around).

More to come...

mtbr member

Parts and Pieces

Okay- so I wanted to put together SOMETHING to help folks out who might be interested in the cable stop.

Again, tapered and non-tapered versions are available here:

These pictures are of the black tapered one, but the parts and instructions are the same for both:

Parts you will need:
    1) #6-32 1 1/2" screw and nut (you can get these at Home Depot in packs of 4)
    1) #6-32 nut (at HD in packs of 12- annoying, but it's the easiest option for most)
    1) Remote lever. I've been using the Rock Shox PushLoc. Can be had with a web search at around $60 and sometimes lower. The PopLoc will also work for a little cheaper at some sites, and other remote levers should work as well.
    1) Spring: LJRacer got the 3/16 x 1-3/8 x 0.028 or 4.776 x 34.925 x .711 mm
    Utility Compression Spring C-580 from his local hardware store- I know they have them at ACE- maybe at HD. For more, go to CSC Coil Springs Manufacturer - Stock & Custom - MRO & OEM | Century Spring Corp.
    1) Brass Cable Stop*. You can get these at Pep Boys/ Auto Zone/ Checker/ Advanced, or just about any auto parts store. It came in a package of 6, all different sizes- this is the smallest (1/16"). Cost for all 6 was $3.39. I'm sure you can find them individually, but here's a link to the Advanced item: Buy Dorman - Help Cable Stops - Various Maximum Wire Diameter 03336 at Advance Auto Parts. For mostly aesthetic reasons, I then also picked up a socket head (3/32) set screw to replace the standard screw.
    1) In-line housing/ cable adjuster. This is optional, but I find is really nice for dialing in the lockout. You can get these at any bike shop- jagwire makes a ton of them- also a google search will bring them up on Amazon, etc.

* If you have an RL and not an RLC, then I recommend doing the internal spring mod- it's stronger, cleaner, and works phenomenally. For more on this, go to Als Hub Bicycle Maintenance and Repair and click on the "DIY Remote Lockout" link in the upper right. This needs to be updated with info for the new cable stops, but the internal spring instructions are the same.

What to do:
    1. Order from Shapeways. I make no money off of these, fwiw.
    2. Get your parts ordered, procured, etc.
    3. When you receive the part from Shapeways, cut the little tab/ spreader insert off the mold (I still don't know how to put pics in-line with text on here... sorry about that).
    4. Press the #6-32 nut into it's place on the spreader. I recommend a little super glue as this will help push the spreader back for removal.
    5. Insert screw and thread in a smidge (that's official terminology for 1/4" or so ).
    6. Slip into the bottom of your steerer tube and tighten.
    7. Mount remote lever with cable, inline adjuster (if using), housing, etc.
    8. Thread cable through stop.
    9. Thread through Spring.
    10. Drill lockout lever (in my pics, I also tapped a small allen screw from the top to avoid using the brass cable stop).
    11. Slide cable through lever and stop.
    12. Tighten and adjust as necessary. I found it best to put the lever and remote in locked position, then pull tension through the cable and tighten.
    13. Test. Adjust. Ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1532.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1534.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1537.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1539.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1540.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1541.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-img_1530.jpg  

Remote Lockout Fox RL-screen-shot-2012-06-01-9.21.15-am.jpg  

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Finally; after over 4 years of waiting, there is an off the shelf solution to this problem. Way to go Alshead and ljracer! If my qhetto mod ever fails, I will be converting to this much cleaner method immediately.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't exactly call it an "off the shelf" solution, but it's something to work with .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Cool! Someone else just bought a couple. 4-5 people have bought them so far, but ljracer is the first to post anything about his experience. If any others have bought and are lurking here, post up about your experience with the cable stops from Shapeways. Your feedback is appreciated. The model is relatively easy to adjust (especially because my buddy does all the CADD work ), so little tweaks can definitely help make a better product. Word.

Axa
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I use the fork hight adjustment allot more then the lockout on my bike. Do you have any plans for a cable-stop for a TALAS-remote in a near future?

mtbr member
    Axa- I don't ride a Talas and I'm not sure how it would work, but if you think you could use a reverse image of what we've already put together for the lockout and make it work, that would be easy to provide. You could also try using these same ones and run it off the front of the fork. I think the trickiest part would be if it's a 3 position fork- I know some are three and some are two. Either way, lemme know what you think about using the existing model or a reverse-direction/ mirror image and I can do that.

mtbr member
    Still more folks buying the steerer tube cable router from Shapeways, but still haven't received much feedback from folks- let me know how they're working!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    @alshead....is there anyway around me drilling a hole on the crown? i just bought a TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE and would not want to void my warranty.

thanks.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast