mtbr member

Reign 2 vs Trance x3

I know i know. overdone topic. BUT, i have read mixed reviews everywhere on these two bikes. sometime in the spring i may be in the market for a new bike and these are my two choices. yes i know the reign has better components and whatnot, but my question is:

will i be able to climb xc type hills (CA: weir canyon, whiting ranch, aliso and woods) with the reign? not so much worried about the weight as i am in shape but what about the head angle? does 2degrees make that much difference? and if i go with the trance will it suit me for everything, including the tough technical downhills and mammoth once a year? or will i be disappointed with the components?

here are the links:

Reign 2 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Trance X3 (2013) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

thanks alot! and if it helps im currently on a giant yukon everything stock.
    2011 trek fuel ex 5
    evo mx-6 white flat pedals
    specialized clutch 2.3 front tire
    hutchinson toro 2.35 rear tire

Carbon & Ti rule
    I always liked my Trance X much more than My Reign's as a take it everwhere bike & I really like down hill stuff.

If you are a good rider you would be suprized how had you can push a Trance X.

If you went Trance X 29er you may well even find that better as a do everything bike.

Just my 2 c

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    They are both great all around bikes that just shine more on the opposite side of uphill and down hill.

If you could afford it now I would buy a left over 2012. My local shops have been pricing them at $1700.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Uno View Post
    They are both great all around bikes that just shine more on the opposite side of uphill and down hill.

If you could afford it now I would buy a left over 2012. My local shops have been pricing them at $1700.
    i wish i could but no cash as of right now as im only 16 dad said in spring he may help out with payment so that why im waitin til then.
    2011 trek fuel ex 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I always liked my Trance X much more than My Reign's as a take it everwhere bike & I really like down hill stuff.

If you are a good rider you would be suprized how had you can push a Trance X.

If you went Trance X 29er you may well even find that better as a do everything bike.

Just my 2 c
    thanks for input and im not liking the trance 29er. ive ridden my friends 29er and dont like it.
    2011 trek fuel ex 5

A buddy switched from a Trance to a Reign because he kept breaking suspension parts on the Trance with as aggressive as he rides. He says that the Trance climbed MUCH better, but with his weight at 200+ and going big on the jumps, the Trance couldn't handle it. The Reign suits him better. It can climb but it's much more of a chore.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've been riding my 2011 Trance X 2 for about 8 months and I love it. I'm around 160 lbs. I'm not a crazy biker or anything but I've been on trails with 3-4 foot drops and have not bottom out once.

I was thinking about a Reign too but I think I'll just stick to my Trance for a while since she has not let me down.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for their input! Ultimately it's going to come down to testing them both and the budget when buying time comes. Right now I'm leaning toward the trance. Thanks everyone!
    2011 trek fuel ex 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good question, also looking at those two bikes and the Heckler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asca2 View Post
    Good question, also looking at those two bikes and the Heckler
    Heckler came into view for awhile and I like the maestro suspension better so that why these are my 2 choices

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    2011 trek fuel ex 5