"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    you guys bump the weirdest threads.
    No, we bump the yearly threads.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    I've really grown to like REI. Many may disagree, but my local REI has a great bike tech who's done a lot of work for me. Also, the member prices for bike labor are awesome. I got a headset pressed for $12 and a wheel built for $60 last year. I know it varies from store to store, but I've never had a bad experience there. People are always helpful, professional and polite.

Thanks for that. I've been a mechanic at REI for a little over a year now. After being at two other independent shops and being in the industry for almost 10 years... I love it at REI. Along with me, our 3 other mechanics have 7+ years of wrenching experience each. We have more/better tools than I've used in other shops and we have more resources for information/procedures. In every REI shop there is a "Certified Tech" or "Master Tech" who has been through Barnett's and is continuously trained, he/she is responsible for ensuring that the other tech's are able to fluently perform the repairs. We're the real deal

Also, we have the power to make sure that you leave satisfied every time. We're not going to argue with you about anything, or turn our nose at your huffy... We help however we can.
    adam • michigan • karate monkey

mtbr member
    To say "everything is overpriced" is just incorrect. I will not buy from them (or any retailer) blindly, but when I do my due diligence on a product, I often find that the REI price is really close, and when you figure in that I will be getting 10% back as a dividend, it makes it a wash, or a better deal in many cases. Example: I paid $129 for my Osprey Raptor 14 pack. Best price I saw at the time was $120 on Amazon. I got 10% back (dividend), another 5% back for using my REI MasterCard and 6% cash back for using Active Junky. That comes to a little over $100.

I try to save my big purchases for when I get the 20% coupons a few times a year and have also found great deals in the outlet.

The REI MasterCard has really pumped up my dividend. I use it for business travel and entertainment and some auto-pay bills and my dividend reached $179 this year.

I bought a pair of Giro Terraduro bike shoes ($180) and a pair of Tifosi Lore sunglasses ($50). Using my dividend and the 20% coupons on a regular item and an Outlet item, I was out of pocket less than $17!
    Last edited by Arebee; 03-23-2016 at 08:22 AM.

Bedwards Of The West
    Last year's dividend went to the Yakima HoldUp hitch rack... this year's dividend is getting the 2 bike add on. Whoop! I use the REI master card for gas, bills, and whatever big purchases I can get reimbursed for at work Dividend is always pushing 350-400 bucks. New cassette and tires with the leftovers this year. 20% coupon saved me $60 on the rack extension.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I have never heard of the REI MasterCard..... hmmmmmm
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

Bedwards Of The West
    ^^ It was a Visa for a long time, just switched to a master card. You get a small percentage back on all purchases, and a little bigger percentage back on purchases at REI.

I use the credit card religiously for most of my bills and gas, and pay it off every month... and at the end of the year I get at least $350 of free money at REI. Wife wants a Disney card... holding my ground on this one
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    I have never heard of the REI MasterCard..... hmmmmmm
    REI MasterCard®

If you make a purchase with it in the first 60 days, anywhere, for any amount, and you get a $100 gift card!

mtbr member
    Sep 2015

REI Dividend Coming SOON!

I love REI. I bought a air sleeping pad for a trip. A family sickness and eventual death derailed the plans. So I had this brand new pad that was quickly outdated by new tech. I told the store guy and he told me to bring it in and he would exchange it. Wow. Blown away. It was several years old but unopened.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Arebee View Post
    REI MasterCard®

If you make a purchase with it in the first 60 days, anywhere, for any amount, and you get a $100 gift card!
    oh, I immediately googled and found it and sent the link to my wife. I tasked her with moving our balance a while back and she has been slow to move. She loves Camping and hiking, so this might get her attention.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    http://www.mtbr.com/guidelinescrx.aspx

mtbr member
    Bought a pair of Sidi Dominators. With my dividend, 20%, and buying through Active Junky...I paid $12 out of pocket for them ($250 regular price). That's a deal that's hard to beat.
    Cannondale F29 carbon
    Jamis Renegade Elite
    Kona Big Unit SS/full rigid
    Kona Private Jake SSCX (build in progress)

Ride More, Work Less
    I've been eyeing one of these since they were announced 6 months or so back. My trusty Hiker pump nearly failed me on a backpacking trip last year, so I was looking for an upgrade. Can the claims of virtually clog proof and ultrafiltration be true???? Time will tell. The price was right with the dividend.

Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I've been eyeing one of these since they were announced 6 months or so back. My trusty Hiker pump nearly failed me on a backpacking trip last year, so I was looking for an upgrade. Can the claims of virtually clog proof and ultrafiltration be true???? Time will tell. The price was right with the dividend.

Wow. I never knew that was coming. I'm gonna read about it. Thx.
    Santa Cruz 5010 C
    Surly Crosscheck.

Jonesin'
    Not sure what to get with my $.40 dividend...a bite of a cliff bar?

Good thing for the coupons.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.

Afric Pepperbird
    $19.45

I'll put it towards a new jersey or some shorts.

mtbr mumbler
    Just bought Novara Shift Cable Housing - 25' Coil and when I was checking out, the cashier said I had a dividend and did I want to use it. The shift housing is on clearance for $13.93 plus 25% extra off (ends today) so with my huge dividend, I paid less than $9.

You can still buy it online; guess they are clearing it out since they dropped the Novara brand name.
    2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    2005 Jamis Dragon
    2003 Jamis Dakota XC converted to single speed

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer View Post
    $19.45

Wow!
    What an incentive after spending $856 bucks there all year.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDD View Post
    Dude, I'm in Illinois. The only place anyone would come from that would say this area is hilly is Kansas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    $6.90, almost all of my purchases are nondividend sales.

mtbr member
    $16.60, what shall I spend my new found fortune on?
    2017 Cannondale Scalpel Si Carbon 3 (27.5)
    2013 Specialized Camber Carbon
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

Elitest thrill junkie
    Almost $200. Nice.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Mine is usually around a grand, this year it's just under. I already "bought" a new raincoat and plan on getting new hiking boots this Friday when the 20% coupon comes out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    You can still buy it online; guess they are clearing it out since they dropped the Novara brand name.
    Novara = Co-op bikes. Their new mtn bikes look decent.
    Get off my lawn! - read my bikenerd blog
    Niner ROS9 SS

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm thinking of getting the new Wahoo Bolt with my rebate.

mtbr member
    $171. Thinking of converting to a 1X drivetrain.

mtbr member
    $158 didn't realize I spent that much there last year
    2017 Giant Trance 2
    2015 Ghost Kato 5 (bikepacker)
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    $2 Yeah! I think I can swing that lemon gel pack I have had my eye on.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Mine is usually around a grand, this year it's just under. I already "bought" a new raincoat and plan on getting new hiking boots this Friday when the 20% coupon comes out.
    Hey Nat! Long time no chat!

Wow, you could possibly be spending too much money at REI, my friend! LOL

Nat
    mtbr member
    Hey Nat! Long time no chat!

Wow, you could possibly be spending too much money at REI, my friend! LOL
    Hey amigo! How's the riding up there treating you?

I have an REI credit card that we use for nearly all purchases then pay it off monthly. We even get 2% back on groceries, for which the dividend totaled over $330 this round. But yeah, I probably buy too much gear.

Jonesin'
    Seven dollars.
    But at least there's the coupons.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have found some pretty good deals over the years at REI. I got some backcountry skis this winter for around $170. They were from last year, so they were marked down to something like $300 and then they were having a sale on top of that at the time I picked them up, so it just because ridiculous. I put some nice bindings on, but even still it was only $570 for these skis and then an additional $25 to get the bindings mounted being a member. If you know what you are looking for and are patient, you can do well. I avoid them for all bike components and bikes, but they have a huge selection of clothing, hydration packs and accessories, compared to most shops, so they can often still be a good resource. I tend to think the bikes they carry are generally for suckers. There are a few "nice" ones, but you're dealing with proprietary crack-n-fail stuff or crazy low anti-squat "Ghost" bikes that will be like a wet mattress. They are generally for people that really don't know what they want IME. Their deals on bikes are generally no better than bike shops to boot, so again, generally not worth it. But still, they have lots of good stuff and at least here in Anchorage, some pretty knowledgeable staff that can lead you in the right direction. I'll probably put that dividend towards an avalanche airbag pack
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

gobsmacked Moderator
    $19.45

Dependable annual bumper award.

SHOES FOR ME.

mtbr mumbler
    I've found REI to be the best place around me to buy trail running shoes. I went to my LRS and they only had a couple of models and they didn't work for me. REI has a good selection. I bought my last Camelbak there with a discount coupon.
    2014 Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    2005 Jamis Dragon
    2003 Jamis Dakota XC converted to single speed

slow
    $13.70
    Apparently almost everything I buy from REI is already on sale and ineligible for rebates.
    Last edited by sgltrak; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:18 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just picked up a -20°F down Northface sleeping bag with the dividend and 20% off for half price. Needed this for some of our winter endurance races, where they require you to have a -20 sleeping bag, in addition to other gear.

Maaaaan
    Oooooo, I just got mine in the mail. I'll have to see what they have there soon.
    My dividend is probably like, $10 this year. LOL
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

I like turtles
    $19. When I shop at REI I usually buy close-out/on-sale items so you don't get the dividend on those.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Needed this for some of our winter endurance races, where they require you to have a -20 sleeping bag, in addition to other gear.
    Tell us more!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Tell us more!
    Gear list here: Susitna100.com - 100 mile & 50k winter races on marked trails in remote frozen Alaska - Gear

A lot of this also provides a good basic starting list for the Iditarod Invitational (ITI) ride from Knik Lake to MgGrath. There are several other races during the winter where similar gear is a good idea. I'm slowly building up the required gear and ways to mount it on the bike.

mtbr member
    $16.75 + a 20% non-sale item coupon Think im gonna use it towards a new pair of 510s

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123