Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Recovery time for broken wrist?

Broke my wrist in a crash two weeks ago (fracture to the distal radius). I'll be in plaster for another three weeks, but there was no displacement of the bone, so I don't have pins or anything. Can anyone with a similar experience give me an idea of how long it took to get back to mountain biking once out of plaster?

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Depends On Your Comfort Level

I rode while I had my cast on still. Started probably a week after I got it.
    Some of the jarring was uncomfortable but overall it wasn't too bad. I crashed hard once and the had me thinking twice about the situation but of course I got back on the bike a day or two later.
    A buddy of mine raced a few times in a cast.

Now the broken ankle...that was no fun...

mtbr member
    you should be ready to ride again in three weeks...then you will want to get a wrist brace with velcro. I fractured my pisoform, and I healed in 4 weeks with no plastercaster. Your injury sounds more severe. I wouldn't recomend doing your usual level (technical) of cycling with a broken wrist.

a.k.a. BicycleKicks
    Hang on there! What does your doctor say?

I had a similar break and was in the cast for 6 weeks (I rode the excersize bike at the gym a lot), then once the cast was off I still didn't get on the bike for like another 3-4 weeks... it was torture, but the doc says the first chance to heal it is the best chance... you'll be sorry if you push it too hard too soon and have lingering issues.

Now I'm a middle-aged guy, so maybe you'll heal faster, but you better lean towards the conservative side of things and give it the time it needs to heal.
    I read that on the internet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Doc not so helpful

Only spoke to the doc when the cast was put on, and he talked about 2-3 months of physio. 3 months out does seem a bit excessive to me, but the doc didn't really want to give any more specifics than that. I can now do light physical actions with my hand, but certainly right now mtbing in the cast would be out of the question. OTOH I am considering a little road riding this week; I reckon that will be ok, and would save me having to take the bus to work, too!

Cars Are Evil
    Depends on how bad it was sprained in addition to the break.

I broke my wrist badly 3 months ago. Two fractures with displacement, plus some hairline fractures. Have two ti screws in there now. My first ti I was back n the bike at just over 2 months, but road only. I am just barely getting on the trails, and still need to take it easy. The big problem for me is all the soft tissue damage from it gettin tweaked so hard. The bones are healed, but it is still weak and I do not have full flexibility yet.

And I have a bill for $15,000

The Pirate
    I'm going to have to agree with Rich A. , check with your Dr. first. Wrist injuries are hell if you don't let them heal properly. If you start riding again too soon, you'll be more likely to crash again due to a weak/sore wrist. Land wrong and you'll set yourself back even further. I wouldn't start riding again until you can comfortably do a few pushups.

I skydived for a few years, and for people with leg injuries (hip, knee, ankle, foot, w/e), the rule was if you can't run on it, or jump off a picknic bench and land on your feet, then you don't jump. It's a safety thing

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Makes sense; guess I'll just have to see how it goes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well of course he couldn't be more specific. He/She has to wait to see how it heals and then they can let you know what the next step will be and how long that might take. It's not like we're all alike and heal at the same rate. Each case is exclusive unto itself and no matter what you hear here if you don't do as you doc says you could end up right back in a cast. Don't be impatient. Follow the docs instructions precisely for the best chance of the best recovery. Next time don't brake your bones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Seems to me that the soft tissue damage wasn't great, but could have been a whole lot worse. Certainly there wasn't much swelling, and I didn't need to take more than a few ibuprofen; compared to when I destroyed my thumb in a road race crash and entered a whole new world of pain in it was nothing.

Good luck with your recovery. $15000? Jeez! Thankfully I have state medical insurance, so cost isn't something I need to worry about...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I understand. However, for me it's helpful to be given some idea of how others have fared with recovery time.

And wrt not breaking bones, if you have any advice about how to learn to "tuck and roll" I'd like to know!

another bozo on the bus
    i have broken mine 3 times and 6-8 weeks was the norm for the bone fuse back together. then you have to deal with the muscle atrophy once everything heals. i too rode with a cast (i dont recommend it), but only on the road. wrist hurt quite a bit trying to ride off road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I've broken my wrist once, the two arm bones at the base of the wrist, very slight displacement (had to twist/yank/manipulate it back into position) It was a while ago, was in a cast for 6-7 weeks IIRC.

The Doc. had me all set up for months of physio. until he learned that I was paying out of pocket (no insurance), then amazing, I got some Thera-bands, or whatever (rubber-bands with different strengths) and some detailed instructions on what to do after the cast came off

I followed the directions to a tee, and let it heal up correctly, and now, there are times I have to remeber if it was the left or right wrist that I broke

I'm on fire.
    I broke my wrist and found one of the 661 wrist wraps to be very helpful the first couple weeks back on the bike. Provides some extra cushioning and support for weaked muscles.
    Sanity is the trademark of a weak mind.
    Cycle CNY

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by boredwitless
    Broke my wrist in a crash two weeks ago (fracture to the distal radius). I'll be in plaster for another three weeks, but there was no displacement of the bone, so I don't have pins or anything. Can anyone with a similar experience give me an idea of how long it took to get back to mountain biking once out of plaster?
    I broke the Ulna, in the arm an inch or two below the wrist. Like you, no dispalcement / no surgury.

6 weeks cast. 2 more weeks to go.

It started to feel really good after 1.5 weeks. So I started to wrench on my bike, applied pressure to the bad arm and heard a crunch. Went back to being sore - I'm guessing I just gave up 2 weeks of healing time. Start healing from the beginning.

It's torture, but I have to be patient.

I wouldn't mess with the wrist. A few weeks now, may save you issues when you are older.

P

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I wouldn't mess with the wrist. A few weeks now, may save you issues when you are older.

P
    Sure; in general I'm fairly cautious so this would have been the plan whatever. Unfortunately this means no Interbike dirt demo/Turner Moab trip, so I'm wondering if Moab late November will be ok instead...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sounds good; thanks for the tip

mtbr member
    had a distal radius fracture 4 weeks ago.Fracture's near the palm. No screws needed. Was in a cast for a week and a splint for the other 3. Just go the all-clear from doc to resume and am going to do easy trails (bunny slopes) tmrw with my 661 wrist wrap pros.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Wrist guards

As I read this thread I'm wondering why all riders don't wear wrist guards all the time. When I got back into riding I was coming off my bike enough that my wrists were sore all the time. Soon after that, I was at a skills camp and a guy gave me a set of wrist guards that I've been wearing ever since. I continue to come off my bike with some regularity but have had absolutely no problem with my wrists. The guards are comfortable to the point that I forget about them and they don't interfere with my grip or bike handling. Its kinda like wearing a seatbelt in that wearing them is automatic and I'm uncomfortable without them. Just a thought. Kind regards and a speedy recovery to the OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by remybigtime
    As I read this thread I'm wondering why all riders don't wear wrist guards all the time. When I got back into riding I was coming off my bike enough that my wrists were sore all the time. Soon after that, I was at a skills camp and a guy gave me a set of wrist guards that I've been wearing ever since. I continue to come off my bike with some regularity but have had absolutely no problem with my wrists. The guards are comfortable to the point that I forget about them and they don't interfere with my grip or bike handling. Its kinda like wearing a seatbelt in that wearing them is automatic and I'm uncomfortable without them. Just a thought. Kind regards and a speedy recovery to the OP.
    I did not know there were wrist guards available until I broke them wrists
    If I knew I'd have worn them for sure.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

New question here. What are you using?

Hi remybigtime,

Please share the name of wrist brace that you're using. Also do they support (limit the range of motion) of your thumb?

Thanks!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The wrist guards I use are made by K2. I just tried to find them with a google search, but didn't find exactly the same thing. However, the K2 Exo 8.1 are pretty close.

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/?q=Wr...tguards+-+Mens

Probably lots of others out there that will work as well or better - though these suit me fine. I wear a L glove and an XL in these guards which go comfortably over my gloves. There isnt any restriction of thumb movement at any joint nor any support, except that the guard has a hard shell under the meat of your thumb.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005
    The wrist guards I use are made by K2. I just tried to find them with a google search, but didn't find exactly the same thing. However, the K2 Exo 8.1 are pretty close.

http://www.shopwiki.com/detail/?q=Wr...tguards+-+Mens

Probably lots of others out there that will work as well or better - though these suit me fine. I wear a L glove and an XL in these guards which go comfortably over my gloves. There isnt any restriction of thumb movement at any joint nor any support, except that the guard has a hard shell under the meat of your thumb.
    Thanks for the info!

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    I broke my wrist this past summer (endo'd OTB). It was four months, a surgery and many physical therapy appointments before I got back on my bike. There were some extenuating circumstances. First of all it was a very bad fracture. It was a commutated fracture and so I had several small chunks of bone floating around in my wrist. Second, I now have a very cool looking Ti derailleur in my wrist. Seriously. It's about 5 inches long and is attached to my bones with 13 screws. Third, I'm an old bastard (50) so it takes a bit longer to heal.

Personally, I wouldn't rush it. Listen to your Doc. They get the big bucks for a good reason. Sorry to hear about your injury. Good luck with healing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermont29er

And I have a bill for $15,000
    Sorry to hear about the bill. Stories like this make me really happy to live in Canada. I broke my hand for free this fall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast