mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Recommendations - 06/07 Santa Cruz Heckler - What's this bike actually worth?

Hey everyone,

I don't currently own a bike, but I'm trying to get in to mountain biking.

I'm coming from riding dirtbikes in the desert and technical mountain terrain.

Anyways, I've been trying to find a good deal on an all-mountain bike that can handle a bit more abuse than most all-mountain configurations.

I just came across this 2006/2007 Santa Cruz Heckler on craigslist that's listed for 1700. I know the bike isn't worth that much and that the guy probably listed it high so that he could haggle a bit and come down to what he wants. I talked to him on the phone and he said he would do 1200.

Is this bike worth 1200 dollars?

Santa Cruz Heckler

Also, if anyone has any bike recommendations or is selling anything that would fit my needs, let me know. I'd like to spend 1300 max.

I hope I posted this in the right place. If not, please let me know.

mtbr member
    My guess on a price for a 6 or 7 year old bike would be in the 800 range, because even though the seller says its well maintained, it looks to have a pretty good amount of miles on it. Look around at some sites and see whats for sale and compare is your best option.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Price depends a lot on parts. That one looks like it has most of the original parts, so $1200 might be a little high. It's probably worth about $1000. Hecklers are tough bikes, and people ride theirs for years. I currently own a 2006 Heckler with newer parts, and it remains one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Like the poster above said, keep looking around and compare prices. With bikes getting more and more expensive, used bikes will become more expensive and in demand. If you're looking to hit some stunts and jumps, you probably want to look new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    keep in mind that SC has just upped their new bike warranty to 5 years. This makes it very risky to buy a used SC complete bike for more than the value of the parts. You have no warranty with a used frame, and a crash replacement from SC, if they allow it, will cost you hundreds of dollars to replace a frame- and they do break! Also, look on SCs website- they have had new Heckler frames on sale for $550, complete with shock. If they have your size, that may be a deal you cannot pass up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    dickeydoo, mountainbiker24

I have checked out craigslist in various parts of Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California. Most of the 2006 Hecklers I've found are priced around 975-1300. Maybe I should offer him 1000?

dumper,

How often do frames actually break? I had never even considered the idea of breaking a frame unless it was in a very hard crash. When was the last time you saw one of those sales on SC's website and how much do you think it would cost to build up a decent heckler with fox forks and a fox shock?

mtbr member
    Personally I think in this economy you should try to not pay more than 900. If the bike had top of the line components, like xtr shifters, derailuirs, wheels set, headset, etc. I could see going higher. I would guess that you will have to replace the rear cassette and chain soon if not immediately. The chain rings could be wore out or close to it. While I'm picking this bike apart LOL I should mention that the shock could need new seals.

Also have a look at ebay there are usually a ton of bikes on there.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    any frame can crack, from abuse, or just fatigue. You are thinking of buying a used frame with unknown history. Also, people don't buy Hecklers to ride on the bike path! There are several threads around here about cracked SC frames, including Hecklers. Here is a link to their current sale page Santa Cruz Bicycles

mtbr member
    IDK, man. If you look at picture eight, looks like one of the teeth on the big ring is bent or broken off. There is a lot of grime on that bike. Not to say dirt is bad, but I would have shined it up a little if trying to sell. Sounds like he rode the hell out of it too. Too much money IMO.

mtbr member

Re: Recommendations - 06/07 Santa Cruz Heckler - What's this bike actually worth?

I think it is too much money as well.... This coming from a guy that is a huge Heckler fan. Great bikes but that one doesn't warrant that kind of money.

Sent from my Android in the great outdoors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Update

UPDATE:

I talked to him a bit more. He did ride the hell out of it, Leadville 100 etc, but it seemed like more endurance-y trail type stuff.

The pivots were serviced about two years ago. The forks were rebuilt/serviced somewhat recently with nice seals. The rear shock was overhauled recently as he stated in the post.

I rode the bike up and down the street and the rear brake chattered a bit under very hard braking, but I've read that Avid Juicy Sevens tend to do that. It shifted smoothly through every gear. I bunny hopped and wheelied around and the suspension felt smooth and plush.

The rear cassette was replaced about a year ago with a slightly used SRAM cassette. I can definitely see a little bit of wear on it.

The front middle chain wheel was replaced at the same time as the cassette along with a new chain. The large chain wheel is somewhat beat and is missing a single tooth, as ghettocop noticed.

The rear derailleur has slight side to side play when grabbing the cage, but as I said every gear shifts smoothly.

There are no cracks in the welds or large gashes anywhere on the frame. He also side he's never taken a really big spill on it, but that is subjective.

The tread is pretty much gone on the tires. I think the bike is mostly just dirty and not in that awful of shape.

I talked him down to $1000. He paid $2665 with tax when he bought the bike new in 2007. It is an 06.

Any new opinions after the update?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    On a side note,

If I were to buy a Heckler frame with float ctd for 550, what would building it up comparably to the one I linked here cost? Factor in tool and supply costs like grease and threadlocker etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Frames will fatigue over time, and if used, all frames will eventually fail. How quickly depends on how hard they're ridden and how well they're designed. Santa Cruz overbuilt the previous generation Heckler for the average trail rider, so you don't see a lot of failed Santa Cruz Heckler frames. Don't get stuck on Fox stuff. They're overrated and overpriced. I know you were asking dumper, but I thought I'd chime in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm just lost on what to do.

People have suggested:

$1000
    $900
    $800
    $600

I did figure out that the front forks were actually rebuilt, bushings, seals, and all, in 2010 or 2011.