mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Recommendation on a good MTB shoe

Hello. I have XT SPD clipless pedals and I'm looking to get better mountain bike shoes for racing. My old ones are falling apart and they are really heavy. With so many to choose from I don't know what to get. My budget is $100 - $150. Any recommendations on brands? I was thinking of going with Shimano or Specialized but not sure what is best for the money. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What do you think of the Specialized Rime clipless shoe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've only used Shimano shoes. I just ordered a pair of Shimano SH-XC61 from Art's Cyclery and got 20% off with MEETUP20 code(good till end of month). They have free shipping and returns. You might also consider the SH-XC60s for less $.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    At $135 that is a great deal. I just wish they had all black instead of the white.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Right now I have the Shimano MT53 MTB size 44. They are a little tight and hurt my toes sometimes. I think I should go one size up to 45. My current pair is like 900 grams and when I wash them they hold so much water weight. I may just have to go with the white and black. They do look nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Have you tried them on yet and how do they feel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I hear what you're saying about wanting black -- less like a road bike and shows less dirt. I upgraded from the SH-M162(very comfortable but approx. 950g/pair w/ thick rubber sole) so the XC-61s(approx. 600g) don't feel as comfortable with the stiff light carbon sole but still comfortable enough. My experience was that the M162s run big and the XC61s run small, therefore I use a size 46 M162 and a size 47 XC61. Art's Cyclery is great re: returns as long as you only try the shoes on top of carpet and return just as new.

mtbr member
    Jenson has some great prices on 2012 Giro models.

AZ
    banned
    Find a few that fit well and then start narrowing down the choices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I will need to visit a LBS and try them on and see what size I need.

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by marcos77 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I will need to visit a LBS and try them on and see what size I need.

and buy them there?

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Don't showroom your LBS. Try them on and buy them there!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    showrooming is for richards

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Today I got my new MTB shoes. I decided to go with the shoes that Sunderland recommended the Shimano XC61. They feel great and are really light compared to my older Shimano shoes which weighed 1300 grams for the pair. I did decide and purchase them from my LBS for $170. I was also able to get them in black instead of the white. Can't wait to try them in the trails. Thanks for the help everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Marcos,
    Thanks for the update. Great choice! I think you got a pretty good price on those shoes too.

mtbr member
    If you like the Rime, definitely check out the Mavic Alpine XL or the New Giro Terradura! I have the Mavics and they rock for everything and I just ordered the Giro's so we shall see. If you are racing then, none of these shoes fall under the lightest since they are all over 400 grams a shoe. But for comfort and all day riding, then any of these shoes will rock!

mtbr member
    I am looking at Diadora X-Country. The reviews are great.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Can't really recommend anything until we know what size you wear.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by marcos77 View Post
    Today I got my new MTB shoes. I decided to go with the shoes that Sunderland recommended the Shimano XC61. They feel great and are really light compared to my older Shimano shoes which weighed 1300 grams for the pair. I did decide and purchase them from my LBS for $170. I was also able to get them in black instead of the white. Can't wait to try them in the trails. Thanks for the help everyone.
    Hi Marcos, or anyone, someone up on the thread said the XC61 runs small on it size, what do you say comparing it to the rest of your shoes?
    I got a great deal (140 shipped) for a 43 and I'm just that 43/9, afraid it would turn into a awful deal, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Specialized Expert $150

mtbr member
    Specialized makes excellent shoes...nice wide toe boxes.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    I have feet that have widened and lengthened due to deteriorating arches. They've been used hard for 65 years - one was crushed in a climbing accident. I cannot wear narrow shoes and had to find wide shoes for SPD pedals.

I've used the Shimano M-087 (now M-088) shoes for a few years now and like them a lot. The Shimano M-088's are about a 2E width, not my usual 4E, but fit OK without irritating the neuroma I got from Scarpa T-2 teleboots.

Sidi also offers at least one shoe in wide, said to be a D width, too narrow for me and too expensive.