mtbr member

rear 4 link susp. newbie

hello all. big 80s,90 bmx rider here trying to getting into it a little. think i made mistake obtaining 4 link susp in rear mtb but forget that for now. anyway....i can replace rear shock. i noticed on some shocks i got theres space on each side of shock bushings,1/2 in. some shocks HAVE the wide bushings on each side which fill in top part of rear shock mount on bike which is 2in wide...the better shock which id like has space on each side......what should i use to fill in space on each side.....PVC?

txs in advance all....new to forums.

usually cranky
    if you really wanna diy it. but proper shock bushings are cheap.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Bushings are pivots, those are what the bolt goes through, sometimes there's a larger pin or axle that is used. The things on the sides that are sometimes narrow or wide are spacers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    txs for reply...do you have a site that i can get these from...... maybe a pic example. im aware i can change entire bushing on a vice but rather use bushings/spacers for now.btw...need mm ruler/measurer of some kind...lol anyway,i can wait cause this way i can try different shocks. txs all...

Elitest thrill junkie
    You likely do not need bushings, new (even old shocks usually) come with bushings. The spacers on the other hand, you have two general paths to try. One is to contact the bike manufacturer, see if they can give you the correct size. Measure the spacers with a caliper or what you need. The second way is to contact the shock manufacturer. In either case, if you get a new shock, you have to make sure it's the correct length and stroke, then you have to make sure you get the right size spacers.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.