mtbr member
    Oct 2010

rattle can paint

i recently painted my 2009 specialized fsr with Rust-OleumŽ Truck Bed Coating. it has a cool rough texture and has held up really well over the last month and 8 rides or so. it hasnt scratched, chipped, or flaked. i just sanded the black powder coat, wiped the frame down with MEK solvent, and let er rip. i used one can.

RustOleum.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Did you really add almost 1 lbs to your frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'd say maybe 12 ounces max. Why?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    cuz most people dont like adding weight to their bikes. I say if you like the durabilty/looks then so be it. Besides now those pesky pallets wont slide
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    people that absolutely have to shave .8 ounces off because they believe they will go faster are mental. same people that dress like they are cycling in the tour de france to ride 2 times a month........

I'd rather be riding
    I painted an old steel frame with that when I went to college. 6 months later it was all chipping off. No biggie but still I was disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The best rattle can paint I have ever used on a bike frame has been Dupli-Color automotive paint found at auto stores. I have painted dozens of frames, motorcycle tanks, etc. with the stuff and it is VERY durable. Acrylic Enamel is great stuff - Rustoleum has NEVER worked well for me, even with 2 weeks cure time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We shall see. So far so good and I am NOT gentle with my stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nate. View Post
    i recently painted my 2009 specialized fsr with Rust-OleumŽ Truck Bed Coating. it has a cool rough texture and has held up really well over the last month and 8 rides or so. it hasnt scratched, chipped, or flaked. i just sanded the black powder coat, wiped the frame down with MEK solvent, and let er rip. i used one can.

RustOleum.com
    Pictures please. I am interest to see what that looks like.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

RustOleum.com
    This thread is useless without pics!!

I don't think you added much weight to your frame. Even if he liquid in the can is 12 oz, most of it misses the bike frame as you are spraying it.

I've had friends do rattle-can paint jobs on frames, and I've done a few parts that way. It was not that durable, but no regrets.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    almost 3 weeks (10 rides and 3 good crashes) and it still looks great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think these newish rattle can "coatings" are a lot better than plain ol' spray paint. I have painted many frames over the years and of course they always get at least one big ol' gnarley scratch soon after you start riding them. I used some "coating" to paint a tattoo machine frame I made and though it doesn't get used like a bike it's pretty tuff stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2011

RustOleum.com
    So just MEK, and Truck bed coating, eh? I'll have to give that stuff a try. Thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    yes. lightly sand it wit 220 or 320 sandpaper first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    dont ever use acetone. it leaves a film.