Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Chamois Dropper
    Reputation: natzx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    774

    Rant: Hazardous segment on Strava?

    I'm not competitive on Strava, I really just use it to map my rides and try to get faster. I can't help but see where I stand in the field of riders of course. I was really suprised to see that I could no longer view the leaderboard on a particular segment / trail. This is an expert trail, but not exceptionally hazardous. Is someone butthurt over thier time or what? We have much more difficult rrails here that this. The trail in question is South Abyss at Balm Boyette. So if someone decides a trail is too scary for them , they can flag it and the other hundreds of people that ride it and log their rides can no longer see how they measure up? Not cool, IMO. And please I'm not trying to start an argument over Strava, but if you have encountered this specific problem I'd be interested in what you have to say. Thanks
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

  2. #2
    Never Forget 9-11
    Reputation: FujNoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    386
    Flagging a segment is pretty much useless since someone can go back and create another segment to replace the one taken away.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

  3. #3
    Chamois Dropper
    Reputation: natzx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    774
    I guess I didn't think of that, still annoying though.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,771
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    I guess I didn't think of that, still annoying though.
    Nah......annoying is some Stravatard D'bag behind me on Gooseberry (or ANY trail) yelling "STRAAAAAAVA" then letting him by (no thank you...) and then having to wait while the idito walks his bike over stuff. Clue phone ringing....Learn to ride well....then try to go fast.
    Annoying is Stravatards cutting corners on our sweet single track to shave a second here and there whit zero regard for damage to the trail
    Annoying is Stravatards hauling ass down a trail with no regard for the safety of others
    Annoying is Stravatards thinking they are racing when it is nothing more than internet masturbating because they are afraid to go wheel to wheel in a real competition.

    Cool (aka NOT annoying) is using Strava for a measure of your personal progress and as a data set for your growth/improvement.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

  5. #5
    Chamois Dropper
    Reputation: natzx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Nah......annoying is some Stravatard D'bag behind me on Gooseberry (or ANY trail) yelling "STRAAAAAAVA" then letting him by (no thank you...) and then having to wait while the idito walks his bike over stuff. Clue phone ringing....Learn to ride well....then try to go fast.
    Annoying is Stravatards cutting corners on our sweet single track to shave a second here and there whit zero regard for damage to the trail
    Annoying is Stravatards hauling ass down a trail with no regard for the safety of others
    Annoying is Stravatards thinking they are racing when it is nothing more than internet masturbating because they are afraid to go wheel to wheel in a real competition.

    Cool (aka NOT annoying) is using Strava for a measure of your personal progress and as a data set for your growth/improvement.
    Let me reiterate, I have never yelled "Strava" and I never will. I have also never heard anyone do this, because I would laugh. I use it to strive to better my times, and look at a map and total mileage when I get home. I don't like a computer on my bars, I have an iPhone and Strava is free.
    That being said I think its silly that anyone can take a leader-board away because they deem a trail to dangerous. I'm not KOM material, but its nice to know out of 200 guys on there if your in 38th or 199th. It's also interesting (and sometimes amazing) to see what the top dogs are putting down for times.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

  6. #6
    Gumnut Peddler
    Reputation: Grinderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    564
    You can always go and put the segment back together again, and because you created it I believe that you are the only one that can remove it?
    Burning fat, not oil.

  7. #7
    Chamois Dropper
    Reputation: natzx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    774
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    You can always go and put the segment back together again, and because you created it I believe that you are the only one that can remove it?
    I don't know the answer to this, I just ride the trails and see what it picks up. I've never needed to create a segment before.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

  8. #8
    Gumnut Peddler
    Reputation: Grinderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    564
    If you want the removed segment to exist again, then you can go and create it within Strava online. Give it a few days and it will pick up all previous riders times who use Strava.
    Burning fat, not oil.

  9. #9
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    If you want the removed segment to exist again, then you can go and create it within Strava online. Give it a few days and it will pick up all previous riders times who use Strava.
    if it's public and someone doesn't want it there, they will keep flagging it. If you want a segment for your personal use, just make it private and nobody can see it.

    Keep these things in mind when setting public segments:
    1. Downhill segments are controversial. If they are on a two-way trail, they will get flagged eventually. Best not to set them in the first place.
    2. Don't set public segments on busy multiuse trails. This encourages the Stravatards who can't use their better judgement not to race when it's busy and when there's horse and/or pedestrian traffic.
    3. If a land manager requests Strava segments to be removed, Strava will abide and remove public segments. You can try to recreate them all you want, but they will not stay for long.

  10. #10
    Chamois Dropper
    Reputation: natzx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    774
    Thanks for the good info guys. I guess my main grievance is that someone has flagged one of our black diamond trails,clearly designated as "expert" . We have many more black diamonds and a few double blacks. I consider myself a pretty good intermediate rider, and I can ride this trail that was flagged- no problem. Its a tough trail, but very doable. I just don't think that one rider should decide which segments other riders can be competitive on.
    I guess I'm afraid all our hard trails will get flagged. I like to look at the leaderboards and see other people's times, especially people I know.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

  11. #11
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,711
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    Thanks for the good info guys. I guess my main grievance is that someone has flagged one of our black diamond trails,clearly designated as "expert" . We have many more black diamonds and a few double blacks. I consider myself a pretty good intermediate rider, and I can ride this trail that was flagged- no problem. Its a tough trail, but very doable. I just don't think that one rider should decide which segments other riders can be competitive on.
    I guess I'm afraid all our hard trails will get flagged. I like to look at the leaderboards and see other people's times, especially people I know.
    how do you know it was flagged because it was hard or dangerous? that's my point. you really just don't know why it was flagged and removed at this point. AFAIK, Strava doesn't take any positions on "dangerous" segments.

  12. #12
    Chamois Dropper
    Reputation: natzx7's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    774
    The segment page says " This segment has been flagged as hazardous"
    I can't imagine any other reason someone would flag it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rant: Hazardous segment on Strava?-untitled.png  

    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

  13. #13
    Never Forget 9-11
    Reputation: FujNoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Keep these things in mind when setting public segments:
    1. Downhill segments are controversial. If they are on a two-way trail, they will get flagged eventually. Best not to set them in the first place.
    2. Don't set public segments on busy multiuse trails. This encourages the Stravatards who can't use their better judgement not to race when it's busy and when there's horse and/or pedestrian traffic.
    3. If a land manager requests Strava segments to be removed, Strava will abide and remove public segments. You can try to recreate them all you want, but they will not stay for long.

    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

  14. #14
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,711
    Quote Originally Posted by natzx7 View Post
    The segment page says " This segment has been flagged as hazardous"
    I can't imagine any other reason someone would flag it
    well okay so I suppose Strava does take a stand, but that's just what the "Flag" screen says. The person doing the flagging can insert any reason into the box, so Strava's "hazardous" statement on the segment page may or may not reflect the real reason for the flagging. You still don't know.

  15. #15
    Gumnut Peddler
    Reputation: Grinderz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    564
    Nergulam has been reported. I purchased his viagra online and it gave me a stiff neck all week!
    Burning fat, not oil.

  16. #16
    Rep Power: Infinity
    Reputation: NateHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Nergulam has been reported. I purchased his viagra online and it gave me a stiff neck all week!
    Yeah, but viagra is a vasodilator and ought to improve your Strava time. You weren't using it right.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,623
    Email Strava about it. I got a flag removed from a segment. They told me the flag was a mistake and removed it. Your's my not be the same but its worth a try.

  18. #18
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,181
    1st world problems
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Le Pirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    231
    Wow. I use Strava and have had none of the problems you guys talk about.


    I guess that is the joy of being the only MTBer around. I can take a 10 minute break on a segment and still be KOM! hahahaha

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •