Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rampage: The good, the bad, and the ugly

Good: Awesome views, incredible riding, Claudio.

Bad: Hate subjective judging, I prefer a stopwatch, finish line, or yardstick.

Ugly: A couple broken arms, a broken back (condolences to Paul Bas, his family and friends), broken leg (I think), a few broken ribs, and probably several unreported concussions and many other miscellaneous "minor" injuries.

For me it's a surreal and somehow primitive viewing experience, I know a lot of sports are extremely dangerous but this event strikes me as exceptionally brutal and unforgiving. I love watching it but I really don't want to see one of these kids die in their quest to one up the competition.

What y'all think?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just like the Isle of Man TT

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think someone is making money off of these young fellas risking their lives. If they want to ride like this, have at her, but I have next to zero interest in this kind of thing. I wonder how health insurance for these guys works in the US as a broken back is expensive. I don't watch sports on tv or follow any form of cycling competition so I'm not typical.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I think someone is making money off of these young fellas risking their lives. If they want to ride like this, have at her, but I have next to zero interest in this kind of thing. I wonder how health insurance for these guys works in the US as a broken back is expensive. I don't watch sports on tv or follow any form of cycling competition so I'm not typical.
    Problem is, when you are as young as these guys are, you think it's worth it. 10 or 15 years later, you say "hell no!". Human brain in males isn't even considered to be fully developed until about 25yrs old or so.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Formerly of Kent
    I know how my body feels after 5 years in the Army. I can't imagine how these dudes feel when they wake up each morning at 30+ years old.
    Death from Below.
    RLTW!

mtbr member
    I love watching people push themselves in this kind of even, and although it is inherently dangerous I think a lot of it us up to the individual to decide on their capabilities.

What I didn't like at all was seeing them allow Nicholi Rogatkin (link) to continue his run, including hitting a clear-it-or-die 72' canyon gap, moments after having a serious crash and taking a fairly massive knock to the head. One-upmanship is all fine and good when you're riding well, but this sort of macho "I crashed but I'm still going to finish" BS is going to get someone in a lot of trouble. If he had started seeing stars on approach to that canyon gap, doing 40-odd-mph and completely committed, the consequences could have been disastrous. IMO regardless of how you feel at the time, I don't believe you can have clear enough judgement to attempt something like that after such a massive crash, and it was irresponsible of the officials to allow him to continue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    What I didn't like at all was seeing them allow Nicholi Rogatkin (link) to continue his run, including hitting a clear-it-or-die 72' canyon gap, moments after having a serious crash and taking a fairly massive knock to the head. One-upmanship is all fine and good when you're riding well, but this sort of macho "I crashed but I'm still going to finish" BS is going to get someone in a lot of trouble. If he had started seeing stars on approach to that canyon gap, doing 40-odd-mph and completely committed, the consequences could have been disastrous. IMO regardless of how you feel at the time, I don't believe you can have clear enough judgement to attempt something like that after such a massive crash, and it was irresponsible of the officials to allow him to continue.

I completely agree, couldn't believe the medics allowed him to ride on after that. In addition to what you mentioned there were many other potentials for disaster there, including the possibility that his spine was damaged. That episode was foolish and irresponsible to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I know how my body feels after 5 years in the Army. I can't imagine how these dudes feel when they wake up each morning at 30+ years old.
    Can't remember his name but one dude there was 34 y/o, and I guess he's been doing it awhile. I just can't imagine.

mtbr member
    The highlight for me, kind of sums up how knarly it is there when a pretty good rider almost poops himself taking the easiest ("walking" trail) down the hill-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWQEAvruO9M

and another view from the 3rd place finisher-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34By_kZ8aOM

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    The highlight for me, kind of sums up how knarly it is there when a pretty good rider almost poops himself taking the easiest ("walking" trail) down the hill-

I think this one was a bit of a joke, I could be wrong. He sounds like the Pewdiepie of biking.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Those guys r crazy. I'm out. I hurt bad enough daily

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

and another view from the 3rd place finisher-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34By_kZ8aOM
    Claudio was awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    wow! Aggasiz was only third? That was an insane run.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I wish they would show it without the super wide angle lens, makes it look like you have a tire's width of track with 600ft drops on both sides because of the distortion, I would like to see what it really looks like. These new damn lenses are ruining the realism of helmet cam footage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I wont support it anymore. Its getting stupid. I dont want to watch someone die....cause its coming. These guys feel the one up game is the way to get noticed. Every year its goibg to get more gnarly.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I wont support it anymore. Its getting stupid. I dont want to watch someone die....cause its coming. These guys feel the one up game is the way to get noticed. Every year its goibg to get more gnarly.
    IMO, ending up a vegetable is even worse..or maybe the same, either way, yeah...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That is NUTS!

mtbr member
    This is an interesting article about the Red Bull Rampage, especially the part about not mentioning injuries.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Opi...aign=spotlight

There was no mention that when he crashed Paul Basagoitia had broken his back badly and would require nine hours in surgery to try and regain feeling in his legs during the commentary of the event.

Flo.
    I'm just incredulous that some of those guys, nay, most of those guys ride without insurance.

Pretty foolish if you ask me.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    7 of 42 riders taken to hospital this year.

1 in six.

Calculated or not, those are not good odds. I love rampage and have huge respect for these riders...but I really think something has got to change. Heck, even the riders are starting to show serious signs of...I don't know, risk fatigue? If they're questioning why they're doing this themselves something isn't right.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Shock can mask a lot of stuff. The video of Nicholi taking that header and tumbling, and then getting back on for the canyon jump? The administrators of that event should get fined.

Shock and adrenaline has been known to leave its victims able to walk around with broken limbs, backs, severed limbs, etc. Case and point there was a car accident several years back where a guy had his arm out the window. Someone rubbed his back tires causing him to spin and roll. Guy got ejected. Medics arrived at the scene and found the guy walking around. When asked how he was doing, "Surprisingly great!" The medic was confused as the guys arm from the elbow down was still at the crash site. The guy had no idea.

Naturally that story is a lot more obvious from a medics standpoint, but broken vertebrae is harder to see. Only takes a few moves for that broken vertebrae to pinch/sever the spinal court going from walking around to permanently paraplegic.

9 lives
    Good: What these guys do is just insane
    Semenuk by far won the "people choice" vote over 50%.
    Kyle Norbraten got engaged to his girlfriend! Right after his Rampage run!
    Remi riding clips...that's crazy!
    So much talent and skill, every rider gave it their all

Bad: Red Bull's marketing is almost entirely based around people doing dangerous shit and walking away unscathed.

Ugly: 7 out of 42 riders had to go to the hospital is not right

I prefer courses that give opportunities riders with amazing talent who go for it, rather than a course which adds in the possibility of life-changing failure at every turn. I like watching the sport but I don't like seeing people risk death for fame.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    subbing to watch videos later.

mtbr member
    It's a problem throughout the pro adventure sports world. It used to be hard to get in front of a camera and be seen pushing the envelope. Essentially, you had to already to be at the top of the game to be in a film and there were limited ways to get there, the pool was small. Now, anyone with a gopro and big balls can get worldwide exposure and potential sponsership deals if they pull off something crazy enough, which just pushes those who already are making a living, or semi living to go bigger or be replaced. And, honestly, most of them don't do much better than gas and rent money, it's not like ball sports....

I can see why ClifBar dropped it's climbing sponsorships, who wants to bear part of the responsibility of an young athlete's death?

Clif Bar - A Letter to the Climbing Community

I used to love the Rampage and still do in a lot of ways, but once the gaps started getting massive I started to cringe. Watching the footage we all see floating around the interweb, it's inspiring to see what riders can pull off now, but it's impossible to ignore the heavy consequences of failure. FWIW, I Crushed T-12 myself when I was a young guy chasing results and sponsorships in another sport, I know things go wrong in a flash. Luckily, I recovered Ok, but my body reminds me of other mishaps from those days all the time.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Remi riding clips...that's crazy!
    Why is that Crazy? I ride with clipless, granted I am not doing Rampage type things, but I hit jumps n drops and prefer the connected feeling I get with clipless, always have.

Claudio is a major jokester, he did a video like that last year.

As far as the sport itself goes, young guys will do extreme and dangerous things with or without the spotlight and tv coverage. It is not for me, and I think the guys who do that are def not thinking about their own future if something goes wrong, but I am not going to stop them. We all have free will.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast