Downhill fan

A Raleigh M60???

I have a chance to possibly trade some 17" mustang rims for a Raleigh M60 with a bunch of upgrades... neck rims, bars & levers. Has XT derailers & front rock shock Judy. Is this a decent bike & worth it?? It was rebuilt by the currect owner for a race bike & was raced. Just looking for some opinions. I cant get pics of it but just want a general overview. Is it a decent bike or a piece of junk?
    Last edited by #Cyclelife; 07-26-2009 at 05:12 PM.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

Downhill fan
    Ok, I just did a bunch of research on the M60 & couldnt find one bad thing about it but the front shock which is a little weak - the judy which I have on my GT & is just fine to me! The Raleigh M60 I am looking at is red. silver & black. Coupled with the new components on it seems like a great bike. It has a 20" frame & I am 5"7' - 5"8". Would this bike be too big for me?
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Downhill fan
    I am also looking into a red 19" 97 Specialized Rockhopper. Its in very nice condition with front shock & bar ends for 175.00! The 97 hasnt seen outside in 5 years.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    20" frame is a good bit too big for you. Id say a 19" is on the big side too.

Downhill fan
    I was wondering that as well. Thanx for the info!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Downhill fan
    Well, I got the 20" M60 today. I spent some time test riding it & I fit perfect on it (I'm 5'7" - 5'8") as the top post has a taper to it. This Bike was not what I was expecting at all. Its 6061 aluminum, very beefy & the bike weights in at 29 lbs - not light but not too heavy either. The currecnt brake set up is V brakes but the frame & front shock have the mounts for disc brakes. Correct me if I am wrong about some of the parts/names as I am going off my memory here. It has ZAC19 4 wall aluminum rims, ungraded hubs front & rear, Kendra claw tires, FSA headset, 1" riser bar (a longer unit), Alivio Derailers front & rear & Judy TT front shock forks. The bike was raced by its previous owner & is in good condition. I am not big on the color scheme (red, silver & black) so I think a color change is in the future ;-). Sorry the bike is dirty but I have owned it less that an hour & hasnt been used in 2 years.
    Last edited by #Cyclelife; 07-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    Looks like a decent bike. But it's probably a little big for you. Especially because you have the seat post so low. Could be hard to ride on technical sigletrack, I'm 6' and a 20 inch is big. I'd look for a 16-18 inch frame in the future. Imho.

mtbr member
    What happened to the XT derailleurs? I am 5'8" and an 18" is the biggest frame I am comfortable on, but I prefer a 16".

Downhill fan
    I had the XT derailers confused with another bike I was looking at. This M60 has alivio & from what I read arent the best so I may upgrade when I grenade them. I had it out today for awhile & felt very confortable on it with alot of control over it. It likes jumps & handles well. I am pretty happy with it. Maybe a future disc brake set up too.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

mtbr member
    you must have a really long inseam to be 5 7 and comfortable riding a 20" frame. nice bike though, ive always liked raleigh bikes.

Downhill fan
    30 waist, 32 leg & 150LBS. I am still surprised how well I fit the bike.
    Doesnt see like a 20" at all to be honest but it says so on the frame.
    The top bar is tapered down so I have plenty of room even when riding standing up. Its pretty well balanced for jumping too.
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by 95 GT Rebound
    30 waist, 32 leg & 150LBS. I am still surprised how well I fit the bike.
    Doesnt see like a 20" at all to be honest but it says so on the frame.
    The top bar is tapered down so I have plenty of room even when riding standing up. Its pretty well balanced for jumping too.
    If that bike is indeed a 20" frame and your 5'7", then it is WAY too big for you. Sorry.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    17" rims for that bike ... that guy walked away with the better half of this deal I think. 20" is a giant size for someone your size, but if you like the fit, who am I to say anything is wrong?

I have never seen a Raleigh with reasonable components before, looks like a Trek.

Live 2 Ride
    17" rims for that bike
    I thought the rims on that bike were 26 inch.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

Downhill fan
    I traded 17" rims for the bike. It was worth the trade for sure. There is trith to it being a little too big for me. I just came back from a 6 mile ride with it. It is a bit tall but nothing I cannot handle. I went out with my friend last night for a 6-7 mile ride & his Trek has the EXACT same frame as my M60!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)

Downhill fan
    So I just spoke with the previous owner about the size of the M60. He just let me know that he has another M60 frame thats a 17" & that he would give it to me to swap the components from the 20" M60 onto! Sweet! I think I may upgrade some stuff on it while its apart!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)