mtbr member

Rain cover for bike while on rack?

Today was the first day I got caught in the rain before I left to come back home from a friends after we went biking. I threw a massive garbage bag over my handlebars and it covered my saddle but the lower part of the bike was exposed. It did a pretty sweet job, but came off of the saddle before I got home. Not a big deal, but does any one know of any rain covers that work well with the bike attached to a hitch mounted thule rack?

mtbr member
    do you really think it's worth it?
    if you've been riding in the rain, it's pointless. so it would only be useful if you've just finished a ride, and starts raining on your drive home.

sounds like you would use it maybe once every 3 months, or longer. i'd stick with a garbage bag under the seat.

mtbr member
    I re-pack all my bearings often enough that its no issue for me...

swerven so u kno im bent
    lmao i leave my bike in the rain thatll wash it its a bike any way do u let ur car get wet as long as u maintain ur bike i say let it be in the rain the snow is a dif story

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by illldeca
    lmao i leave my bike in the rain thatll wash it its a bike any way do u let ur car get wet as long as u maintain ur bike i say let it be in the rain the snow is a dif story
    Well said.

mtbr member
    road spray from the back of a vehicle is a lot worse for your bike than just regular dirt or mud from the trail. The spray gets road grime and corrosive chemicals into everything. Not good.

here is what I use:

http://www.sagecycles.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=7
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

dirty trail dog
    Wouldn't any kind of cover for a bike on a hitch rack obscure your license plate, in most cases? Most police officers don't like that very much.
    yep...

mtbr member
    yes, depending on the placement of your license plate, it could cover it. I have never had a cop actually give me a ticket for this though, never even stopped. Protecting my bike most important, displaying the license plate is secondary. You really cant see the plate very well even with several bikes loaded on the back of a vehicle, without a cover on them. if it is a major issue in your area, just relocate your license plate to your hitchrack and strap a little cateye light on it when dark, and be done with it, but always protect the bike first.
    Join For Free Beginner Bicycle ,new social network for new cyclists. Win $140 Giro Sunglasses. Videos, Contests, Events.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The road grime is one of the many reasons I use a roof rack rather than a hitch rack. The grime can do nasty things to disc rotors.

Never use a bike cover here in WEsTern Oregon. A plastic bag over the saddle on a long trip at most. Maybe. Mostly not. No issues in 25 years.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sagecycles
    yes, depending on the placement of your license plate, it could cover it. I have never had a cop actually give me a ticket for this though, never even stopped. Protecting my bike most important, displaying the license plate is secondary. You really cant see the plate very well even with several bikes loaded on the back of a vehicle, without a cover on them. if it is a major issue in your area, just relocate your license plate to your hitchrack and strap a little cateye light on it when dark, and be done with it, but always protect the bike first.
    There was a thread here about tickets in LA for obscured plates and tail lights. Lots issued.

Reason #6 for a roof rack.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    yup, roof rack over hitch rack, any day, if possible. or even better, get a used van (mine is a 2000 gmc safar), throw out all the seats, and mount all your bikes inside. i call mine the "bike bus"

dirty trail dog
    You really cant see the plate very well even with several bikes loaded on the back of a vehicle, without a cover on them.
    Good point. Come to think of it, I noticed the other day that with my rack on the car and NO bikes on it, the plate is partially obscured.

I retract my statement.
    yep...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    Well said.
    uhh, what exactly did he say?
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

dirty trail dog
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    lmao
    yep...

Interlectchewal
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh
    tht wuz my hole pnt im nt xzcly shur i tink sumtng bout snding txt msg frm hiz nu motokrzr fon itz rad skinier then rzr ur hot pm me luv bob

dirty trail dog
    Quote Originally Posted by tvrbob86
    tht wuz my hole pnt im nt xzcly shur i tink sumtng bout snding txt msg frm hiz nu motokrzr fon itz rad skinier then rzr ur hot pm me luv bob
    HAHA Oh holy crap you're KILLING me!
    yep...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mace2
    do you really think it's worth it?
    if you've been riding in the rain, it's pointless. so it would only be useful if you've just finished a ride, and starts raining on your drive home..
    Thats exactly what happened though. I wasn't riding in the rain, it started raining just before I left my friends.

mtbr member
    road spray from the back of a vehicle is a lot worse for your bike than just regular dirt or mud from the trail. The spray gets road grime and corrosive chemicals into everything. Not good.

here is what I use:

http://www.sagecycles.com/Merchant2/...roduct_Count=7
    Ahh awesome, thanks