Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    172

    New question here. Race Face warranty/service

    What kind of experience have you had with Race Face? I'm buying a used pair of Next LP cranks and I'm wondering if they'll hassle me if I ever need warranty repair or replacement. It comes with a lifetime warranty, and considering it's their top-of-the-line product, I don't think there should be any trouble - if they stand behind their product like some companies do.

    I've never used their products before nor talked to anyone who's dealt with them, so I just want some opinions of what I might be up against if I run into any trouble.


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by precar
    What kind of experience have you had with Race Face? I'm buying a used pair of Next LP cranks and I'm wondering if they'll hassle me if I ever need warranty repair or replacement. It comes with a lifetime warranty, and considering it's their top-of-the-line product, I don't think there should be any trouble - if they stand behind their product like some companies do.

    I've never used their products before nor talked to anyone who's dealt with them, so I just want some opinions of what I might be up against if I run into any trouble.


    Thanks.
    I don't know much about Race Face but...

    Most lifetime warranties are not transferrable.
    In other words: Who's life?

  3. #3
    Jm.
    Jm. is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jm.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,131
    Damn! that sounds like a great idea!. All this time I've been buying new stuff, but why spend the money for new stuff when I can just get it used and with the lifespan (fatique) allready used up, and then I'll just go and warrenty it when it breaks and save myself all that darn money that it costs to buy new stuff!!
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    172

    Upset Listen arsehole

    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Damn! that sounds like a great idea!. All this time I've been buying new stuff, but why spend the money for new stuff when I can just get it used and with the lifespan (fatique) allready used up, and then I'll just go and warrenty it when it breaks and save myself all that darn money that it costs to buy new stuff!!
    Tone down the sarcasm jackarse...

    My question was a sincere one. No one's going to Race Face with an abused or used up product. If I abuse it, I'll face the consequences. I'm talking about a genuine mechanical fault, if one was ever to arise.

    There are companies (and even retailers, like Costco) that stand behind the products they make and sell no matter what. I know there are people who abuse such lean policies, but I'm not one of them. For the price I'm paying for this crank, I could've gotten a decent new crankset. But a real customer is he who's as concerned about buying quality as the company is about making it. Now I could've bought any crankset but I'm buying a Race Face because I've read good reviews of their product. If they're going to leave me stranded just because I'm not the original owner of the product (even though they'd offer him a lifetime warranty), I would like to know.

    You got a problem with that?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by precar
    Tone down the sarcasm jackarse...

    My question was a sincere one. No one's going to Race Face with an abused or used up product. If I abuse it, I'll face the consequences. I'm talking about a genuine mechanical fault, if one was ever to arise.

    There are companies (and even retailers, like Costco) that stand behind the products they make and sell no matter what. I know there are people who abuse such lean policies, but I'm not one of them. For the price I'm paying for this crank, I could've gotten a decent new crankset. But a real customer is he who's as concerned about buying quality as the company is about making it. Now I could've bought any crankset but I'm buying a Race Face because I've read good reviews of their product. If they're going to leave me stranded just because I'm not the original owner of the product (even though they'd offer him a lifetime warranty), I would like to know.

    You got a problem with that?
    I think you need to be talking to Race Face.
    Outside of Craftsman hand tools I'm not aware of too many transferrable lifetime warranties and I don't think this product should come with such given the construction.

    Product description:
    Forged and CNC machined heat treated aluminum shell with carbon reinforcement. Hallow tubular spider and removable, replaceable chainring tabs. PC = Powdercoat. This is the first crank to effectively interface the high impact strength of aluminum and the virtually infinite fatigue life of carbon fiber. Weight: 650g/1.43lb

    Product Review notes:
    1
    Two complaints: #1. one must be very careful of what solvents get on the carbon and epoxy, as the wrong chemicals can ruin these cranks. Luckily, none of these compounds occur in nature, and the cranks actually seem to like mud.
    #2. The powdercoating and clearcoat kind of suck. At this price point, I had hoped the finish would be a bit more durable.
    2
    My comments are primarily on their customer service, which is key when I'm paying serious cash for a crankset. I sent my tapered Next LP cranks back due to constant creaking. Before shipping, I had tried flip-flopping these cranks and my Turbine cranks with my RF Ti and Chromo BBs... but still had creaking in the Next LPs. I even made the mistake of hoping overtightening would do the trick. Needless to say, my overtightening voided the warranty, as I found out after I sent the cranks back. I completely understood and sent an email reply asking that my cranks be shipped back and a confirmation when they were shipped. More than a month passed with no response. So I sent another email and heard nothing for another few weeks. Finally on the third email, which wasn't as nice as the first two, I got a response the next day from the folks in British Columbia with an apology and a deal I couldn't refuse on a discounted upgrade to ISIS cranks and BB. From an overall rating of one chili to five chilis in one 5 minute phone call... great job Raceface!!!
    3
    The chainrings went dull and wouldnt shift worth anything, couldnt hold pressure of a chain... Carbon wrap gets ugly looking after 1 month, and self extraction is a pain,,, my bb interface starting going 'south' after it developed 'play' and started ovalizing,,,

    race face wouldnt warranty because they said i used it for over 2 years, but in actuality, ive had it for 5 months

    garbage! get shimano,,,
    4 LOTS of good reviews with quite a few complaints that the results don't justify the cost.

    All I can say is I wouldn't count on ANY warranty if they are anywhere near 2 years old nor if any of the prohibited solvents have gotten close to the materials. As a second owner I wouldn't expect any warranty from Race Face and wouldn't blame them if they didn't give you one.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by archer
    I think you need to be talking to Race Face.
    Outside of Craftsman hand tools I'm not aware of too many transferrable lifetime warranties and I don't think this product should come with such given the construction.

    Product description:
    Forged and CNC machined heat treated aluminum shell with carbon reinforcement. Hallow tubular spider and removable, replaceable chainring tabs. PC = Powdercoat. This is the first crank to effectively interface the high impact strength of aluminum and the virtually infinite fatigue life of carbon fiber. Weight: 650g/1.43lb

    Product Review notes:
    1
    Two complaints: #1. one must be very careful of what solvents get on the carbon and epoxy, as the wrong chemicals can ruin these cranks. Luckily, none of these compounds occur in nature, and the cranks actually seem to like mud.
    #2. The powdercoating and clearcoat kind of suck. At this price point, I had hoped the finish would be a bit more durable.
    2
    My comments are primarily on their customer service, which is key when I'm paying serious cash for a crankset. I sent my tapered Next LP cranks back due to constant creaking. Before shipping, I had tried flip-flopping these cranks and my Turbine cranks with my RF Ti and Chromo BBs... but still had creaking in the Next LPs. I even made the mistake of hoping overtightening would do the trick. Needless to say, my overtightening voided the warranty, as I found out after I sent the cranks back. I completely understood and sent an email reply asking that my cranks be shipped back and a confirmation when they were shipped. More than a month passed with no response. So I sent another email and heard nothing for another few weeks. Finally on the third email, which wasn't as nice as the first two, I got a response the next day from the folks in British Columbia with an apology and a deal I couldn't refuse on a discounted upgrade to ISIS cranks and BB. From an overall rating of one chili to five chilis in one 5 minute phone call... great job Raceface!!!
    3
    The chainrings went dull and wouldnt shift worth anything, couldnt hold pressure of a chain... Carbon wrap gets ugly looking after 1 month, and self extraction is a pain,,, my bb interface starting going 'south' after it developed 'play' and started ovalizing,,,

    race face wouldnt warranty because they said i used it for over 2 years, but in actuality, ive had it for 5 months

    garbage! get shimano,,,
    4 LOTS of good reviews with quite a few complaints that the results don't justify the cost.

    All I can say is I wouldn't count on ANY warranty if they are anywhere near 2 years old nor if any of the prohibited solvents have gotten close to the materials. As a second owner I wouldn't expect any warranty from Race Face and wouldn't blame them if they didn't give you one.
    Archer, I am sorry but I disagree. I have been using RF cranks and BB's for 5 years and have had no problem with them wearing quickly at all. Had a RF LP for 3 years and snapped the non-drive crank arm, send it back to RF and had another in 8 days. RF is excellent and quick with warr. returns. I stand by RACE FACE and will keep using them. IMHO they are the best cranks out there.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,593
    Quote Originally Posted by ILxcMTNbiker
    Archer, I am sorry but I disagree. I have been using RF cranks and BB's for 5 years and have had no problem with them wearing quickly at all. Had a RF LP for 3 years and snapped the non-drive crank arm, send it back to RF and had another in 8 days. RF is excellent and quick with warr. returns. I stand by RACE FACE and will keep using them. IMHO they are the best cranks out there.
    Here is what I said:
    "I think you need to be talking to Race Face.
    Outside of Craftsman hand tools I'm not aware of too many transferrable lifetime warranties and I don't think this product should come with such given the construction.

    4 LOTS of good reviews with quite a few complaints that the results don't justify the cost.

    All I can say is I wouldn't count on ANY warranty if they are anywhere near 2 years old nor if any of the prohibited solvents have gotten close to the materials. As a second owner I wouldn't expect any warranty from Race Face and wouldn't blame them if they didn't give you one."

    The rest were quotes from the review page.

    So I looked up Race Face and here is what they say...
    The specific warranty for this part from Race Face:

    "Next LP Crank
    Lifetime warranty (purchased before 01/01/01 limited to 3 year warranty)
    Please note that this is a lightweight, cross-country specific crank. Use for any other type of riding is considered abusive. Even if no inner ring is used the inner chainring bolts must be installed. Do not attempt to fix damage to the carbon on the back face (the front face is only cosmetic, but contact Race Face before attempting a repair)."

    The General disclaimers:
    "NON-SPECIFIC DETAILS

    We require proof of purchase in the form of a receipt from the dealer. It must show the shop name and location, the date of purchase, and the item purchased. Receipts that are marked as ‘deposit’ will not be accepted, unless also marked ‘paid in full’. In case of parts included on a complete bicycle (OEM) the bicycle brand, model, and year must be noted. If the part was an upgrade at time of purchase on a complete bicycle this upgrade must be specifically noted on the receipt.

    Your warranty does not cover damage caused by lack of maintenance* or abusive* riding.

    *Maintenance: regular cleaning, checking for loose bolts, greasing: this info is provided in the instructions. If you did not receive your instruction sheet with your product please check the online information at www.raceface.com or call 1-800-527-9244

    *Abusive: Extreme riding and/or racing is not abusive, as long as you have purchased the correct model component. If you ride DH, DS, BMX (freestyle, dirt jumping), Trials, or are an aggressive ‘Freerider’ you are responsible to choose our ‘Downhill & Big Impact’ products. Riding components that were not designed or tested for this type of riding will void the warranty.

    Any product that has been modified will not be covered under warranty. Modification includes use of bolts, bearings, or other hardware, that do not meet Race Face specifications (to save yourself trouble, purchase replacement parts from Race Face). Stripping and/or re-colouring product is considered modification. Finally, using a component without all necessary parts will void the warranty. If unsure about any changes to the ‘normal’ use of a product, please contact Race Face prior to attempting.

    In general, we repair when possible, or replace sub-components rather than complete items. For example, if one crank arm is damaged we will not replace the complete set.

    We do not warranty items just because we’ve introduced a new model or have modified it – unless the product is defective.

    We do not warranty fading or chipping unless it is well beyond what can be expected under regular use."

    So I should have said that I wouldn't expect any warranty for a second user without a receipt. Or if this part was pre 01/01/01. Or if this part was not properly maintained (I expect solvents are still a no-no around the carbon.

    I'll agree the company seems to have an excellent rep with regard to replacement but I wouldn't expect them to extend a lifetime warranty to something that keeps passing from user to user.

  8. #8
    bleeding eventually stops
    Reputation: dr.dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    233

    More to the point

    I had a Turbine crank that unfortunately was the victim of being over-torqued and the taper was shot. It was more my fault then theirs, but I sent it back under their replacement program, where they will sell you the replacement part at a cut rate price for stuff you broke. I didn't keep my receipt, they asked for it, but allowed the replacement to go forward without proof of purchase. It took awhile because the warentee had to get to canada by way of their US distributer, but nothing crazy.
    They were really good about it, and easy to deal with.
    With the price of getting a Turbine crank so low right now under clearance prices I'd get one of them way, way before getting a used carbon crank. They really are excellent cranks, and I had my cranks for 7 years before the taper just wouldn't hold anymore. Definately a product and company I will continue to turn to.
    Hope it helped.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    33
    Yeah, I'll comment. Race Face customer support SUCKS! I bought a Next 35 bar and Atlas 35 stem and it creaks like sh*t. I emailed them TWICE. No response. Have you seen their "manuals" on both the bar and the stem? What a f*cking joke. NEVER again will I support this shoddy company. They want your money but don't support their rubbish.

Similar Threads

  1. Race Face broken crank poll
    By Roger___ in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 01:11 PM
  2. What shimano square taper BB for Race Face?
    By Ziggy-Stardust in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 12:14 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 08:04 PM
  4. Race Face X Type and E type bb
    By fozziebear in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 05:45 AM
  5. Race Face X-Type BB Tool
    By CruzinJapan in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 09:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •