Thread: Race bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Race bike

Currently I am riding an entry level 2012 Trek 4300 but would like something that rides smoother and faster. I am open to suggestions of both 26ers and 29ers.

The only 29er I have ridden is the Specialized S-Works epic Carbon 29 XTR. Needless to say this is WAY out of my price range but I loved it!

I am looking for something used because my budget is only going to allow me to spend around $700-$900. Right now I am looking at 2011 Specialized Rockhopper Pro 29er for $750, 2012 Trek Mamba 29er $700, 2010Trek FSR XC COmp $900.

*2010 Santa Cruz Superlight with Fox Talus 32 front suspension, fox float rear, shimano xt derailleurs,& shimano slx hydro brakes for $900.

I am not sure if it is worth selling my bike and purchasing either of the first two mentioned. I really want something that is going to allow fast pace racing over rocky and rooted single track. The XC Races are going to be about 10-25 miles. Starting out with some local single track races but nothing too technical. The front fork on the 4300 feels cheap and doesn't seem to handle very well.

Open to any and all suggestions
    Last edited by Philippines03j; 06-12-2013 at 06:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    You can race on anything, but I recommend saving up more and spending like $1500. The extra quality gained will make a world of difference.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If in the future I am able to bump up my budget do you have a couple of bikes I should put on my list to consider in $1500 range?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    To get the most bang for your buck, I recommend Sette Bikes. They're mail order only, so they cut out the middle man (the bike shop) and transfer the savings to you. However, they do require very basic assembly (attaching handlebars, putting pedals on, and a basic tune) out of the box, so you have to be ok working on your own bike or be willing to pay a shop to do it for you.

Now, if you don't really know what you're doing, that's fine, but you'll have to fork over some extra cash and go to a local bike shop. They will work with you and steer you towards a bike in your price range that will do what you're asking it to do.

In other words, if you want to save money, get a sette, but if you want to sleep well at night knowing that if something is wrong with your bike someone will fix it for free/cheap just 15 min away go to your local bike shop.

Personally, my bike purchases have gone in this order: wal-mart, local bike shop, online mail order, friend of a friend, craigslist (just a frame), frame builder (just a frame), bike shop (just a frame).

Once you are really into it, you will build frames from the ground up as I have done with my last 3 bikes, but that takes a lot of know how that I acquired from messing with and breaking parts on previous bikes.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A good race bike is a Scott Scale Expert. Keep an eye on ebay. The last one went for 1800.

mtbr member
    I assume you mean XC racing. Are you talking about a "wednesday night race series" type of thing or, semi pro, or want to be pro?

How technical is the terrain? Honestly, for the Wednesday night series we have around here, you could probably be just as fast on a Rockhopper pro 29er as yourself on a $1500 Full suspension 29er. The simplicity of a Hardtail will be nice if you are just getting in to racing.

What years are the bikes that you listed?

My advice is to set a budget and find the best bike you can within that budget.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for all the responses. I can definitely see the advantage of spending a little extra cash on a bike. Maybe in another year or two when I get out of dental school. I am not in a hurry so I am just keeping my eye out for something used.

Moefosho: 2011 Rockhopper pro, 2012 trek mamba, 2010 Trek FSR XC. I also just had a 2010 Santa Cruz Superlight with Fox Talus 32 front suspension, fox float rear, shimano xt derailleurs,& shimano slx hydro brakes for $900.

*I grew up racing BMX at a national level and then began racing dirtbikes and riding road bikes heavily. The past few years I started mountain biking. I would like to think I could get serious about racing in the next few months but I am starting out small with some local XC races with the hopes of progressing to some of the bigger races.

For the past 2 years I have been riding mountain bikes consistently 4-6 days a week. Everything I ride is single track with roots and rocks but wouldn't call it technical.

mtbr member
    I would go for the SC Superlight at $900. That bike is made for xc racing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    I would go for the SC Superlight at $900. That bike is made for xc racing.
    That does sound very good. Then ride the crap out of that bike until you want to upgrade to something a lot nicer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I responded to the SC lightspeed ad as soon as I saw it (before posting here) but someone beat me to the punch.

Still looking at the 2011 RockHopper for $750, 2010 Specialized Epic Comp 26 (if accept my offer of $900), Jamis Exile Elite w/upgrades $900 (?not sure about this one as it looks comparable to the rockhopper with slightly better derailleurs). Eventually something will pop up in my price range but trying to get something that will take me up a notch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    In the sub-1k price range I recommend a used bike. Find someone that knows a ton about bikes that could give the bike an inspection before you buy it though, because some of that stuff on craigslist is cheap for a reason. Happy hunting.