mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Quick saddle poll

How long would you try out a saddle you were uncomfortable on before you'd stop using it?

A. 20 minutes or less

B. one positional adjustment with one good ride (2-4 hours) only

C. one week (around 150 miles or 10 hours), unless soreness or numbness developed

D. one month (around 500 miles or 30-40 hours), unless soreness or numbness developed

Thanks.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by danwerle
    How long would you try out a saddle you were uncomfortable on before you'd stop using it?

A. 20 minutes or less

B. one positional adjustment with one good ride (2-4 hours) only

C. one week (around 150 miles or 10 hours), unless soreness or numbness developed

D. one month (around 500 miles or 30-40 hours), unless soreness or numbness developed

Thanks.
    Saddle poles are called seatposts.

[SIZE="1"]And I voted for 'C.'[/SIZE]

There's a poll option if you look around.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I got rid of the stock saddle my Rockhopper came with after an hour's ride. My butt hurt for 3 or 4 days after that one use. Some have told me I needed to "get used to it". Why would I want to get used to searing ass pain?

(not that fast)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Saddle poles are called seatposts.
    HA! that was funny.

i would also go with C, barring any real discomfort

~Disc~Golf~
    I'd vote 'B' - I can get a pretty good feeling if it fits or not fairly quickly - YMMV of course
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    YMMV of course
    Butt of course.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte
    Butt of course.
    I just don't want to ass-ume for anyone else
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    i'll go with D, depending on amount of discomfort and how much i get to ride
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelth
    I got rid of the stock saddle my Rockhopper came with after an hour's ride. My butt hurt for 3 or 4 days after that one use. Some have told me I needed to "get used to it". Why would I want to get used to searing ass pain?
    Because your butt will do just that... Get used to it.

The saddle on my Rockhopper was not the most comfortable when I first got the bike. Like you, my butt was a bit sore for a few days after the first couple rides. However, after a few more rides, I no longer had any issues with it and still use it today. I didn't change anything, not even saddle position. I just got used to it.

Having said that... I vote for "C."

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Ha! Thanks for the input. This is helpful. I'm trying out a new saddle - I really like the company and the US distributor - plus it is a few grams lighter than my prior seat. I am just trying to check the pulse of the group on how long others believe a reasonable break-in time is.

Quote Originally Posted by danwerle
    Ha! Thanks for the input. This is helpful. I'm trying out a new saddle - I really like the company and the US distributor - plus it is a few grams lighter than my prior seat. I am just trying to check the pulse of the group on how long others believe a reasonable break-in time is.
    Unless it's a Brooks (at least a "D") I don't think the saddles need as much "break in" as you do, but I'd go with "C" just because I fiddle with position for a while before I decide I'm happy/unhappy with it, and need a "B" for each fiddle...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Depends.

Beginning of season or mid?

Mid season, only need a ride or 2.

Beginning of season, need a week at least.
    2013 Cannondale F29 2
    2013 Giant Seek 0
    2010 Specialized SX Trail
    2009 Cannondale Rize 4

pedal pusher
    C.

I've had 3 different saddles over the years that felt great for anywhere from 1 to 2 years, then suddenly felt terrible, so don't expect even the most comfortable one to stay that way forever.

dirtbag
    I don't have the patience to try out a new saddle. I'm comfortable on Selle Italia Flite saddles and have em on all my bikes. I immediately swapped out the saddle on my Stumpy when I bought it.
    Amolan

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It really depends on the saddle.

I've tried a saddle where I barely got 10 feet on it and my thought was "HELL NO!!! This is not going to work!" Yes, I've tried that saddle a few more times thinking that maybe I was just having a bad butt day but the results are the same every time. WTB Speed V, I believe. I went so far as to take it completely apart, thinned the shell about where my sit bones are, reshaped the foam and put it all back together again and the only thing it did was it made it comfortable enough to ride for about five miles before I couldn't take it anymore. Hey, I only paid $10 for it.

I have tried a saddle that felt okay initially but my butt said no to after only about a mile. Older Selle Italia Flite.

I have a saddle that I just today took off of my Cannondale that I've had on there for three years and I just decided that it wasn't comfortable enough. Fizik Pave.

I have a few Fizik Aliantes that I can ride on for hours on end without pain. I pulled the one from my commuter and put it onto my Cannondale and now I need to get another one to replace it.

I'm SUCH a square....
    I'm an L-1011 Clyde (wide-bodied, so my sit bones are OUT there!), and I discovered the comfort of Body Geometry saddles some years ago. Ran the Milano for about 3-4 years, on the Sonoma now. The diff is the "scoop" in the Sonoma that positions me better. There was another BG that I rode for about a week; perfect on the sit bones and the 'taint', but rubbed me raw just behind the jewel-bag because it pointed straight out instead of curling down like a proper saddle should. Turned out to be a women's model. My equally wide-bodied nephew rolls that thing with no problem.

My answer, BTW, is B. You have to fiddle with fit and adjustment.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    C- I need a few rides to be sure.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!