Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quick question about used fork steerer tube length

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  JonathanGennick 
#1 ·
When you see a used fork online, say like Ebay, and the sellar gives a cut steer tube length, does one typically measure from the top of the crown (where the lower bearing race is) to the top of the cut, or do you pull your tape from the bottom of the crown and measure up to the cut?

#4 ·
I won the auction from the seller and the fork was delivered today. I'm asking this here before I contact him because I want to know if he misrepresented the fork or I just don't know how to measure one. It's an inch shorter than he stated in the ad but only if you measure the tube above the crown only, he obviously measured from bellow the crown.

#3 ·
It would be the length of steerer tube outside the crown. If they're measuring from the crown up they're measuring wrong as the steerer is press-fit into the crown (and not meant to be removed), so technically the part inside the crown could be considered part of the crown as opposed to part of the steerer.

But as mentioned above, ask the seller, you never know.

#5 · (Edited)
It would be the length of steerer tube outside the crown. If they're measuring from the crown up they're measuring wrong as the steerer is press-fit into the crown (and not meant to be removed), so technically the part inside the crown could be considered part of the crown as opposed to part of the steerer.
Thanks, that what I thought. :thumbsup:

Rest of you agree?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.