mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Quick disconnect adapter that fits Osprey Packs

I own an Osprey Manta pack and it's great, but it's a real pain to maintain the bladder because it is always attached to the pack. I want to cut the tube so I can take it out easier. I found this Platypus piece below which is exactly what i'm looking for but it is too narrow for the wider tubes that Osprey uses on their proprietary packs. Is there another product like this, or a reliable modification to make it work without leaking?

http://www.backcountry.com/platypus-...disconnect-kit

wasn't sure where to post this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong0
    I own an Osprey Manta pack and it's great, but it's a real pain to maintain the bladder because it is always attached to the pack. I want to cut the tube so I can take it out easier. I found this Platypus piece below which is exactly what i'm looking for but it is too narrow for the wider tubes that Osprey uses on their proprietary packs. Is there another product like this, or a reliable modification to make it work without leaking?
    Not sure what you mean by the reservoir (bladder) always being attached to the pack. The reservoir should easily slide in and out of the pack.

Mountain Man Dan
    I just bought the camelback version of that yesterday and installed it. Works great!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35
    I just bought the camelback version of that yesterday and installed it. Works great!
    On an osprey pack?

wannabee
    http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Nalg...searchcashback

My Dakine pack had this bladder in it. Nalgene. Amazon has a few options.

Mountain Man Dan
    No. On a camelback pack. Only way to go.

mtbr member
    I have an osprey pack and I gotta say over all I really like it. Way better than the old blowfish I had before. However, I'm not a huge fan of the bit valve and I could see this disconnect coupling being useful. the bite valve is clunky to thread through the elastic pieces on the shoulder strap.

Mountain Man Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainChain
    I have an osprey pack and I gotta say over all I really like it. Way better than the old blowfish I had before. However, I'm not a huge fan of the bit valve and I could see this disconnect coupling being useful. the bite valve is clunky to thread through the elastic pieces on the shoulder strap.
    That was my issue with my camelback, i installed a 90 degree right angle end piece with the bitevalve and a shut off valve at the end, so I couldn't take the bladder out because it was connected to the hose which was put throw loops and whatnot. I installed that dis connect 3 inches from the bottom of the bladded, how much easier now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbfox
    Not sure what you mean by the reservoir (bladder) always being attached to the pack. The reservoir should easily slide in and out of the pack.
    no. i want the tube to disconnect from the bladder, so i can fully detach it from the pack to make it easy to fill up, maintain, and dry, rather than dragging my whole pack to the sink.

i did some more research and Osprey has their bladders custom made from Nalgene. There are Nalgene bladders that you can buy independently, that have the disconnect built into the base of the bladder, but the custom built ones for Osprey do not have this.

I would just switch out the bladder to the regular Nalgene one, but then I would forego the rigid backing and custom fitting that makes it sit so well in the pack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by giantbikeboy
    http://www.outdoorpros.com/Prod/Nalg...searchcashback

My Dakine pack had this bladder in it. Nalgene. Amazon has a few options.
    i saw this and its pretty much exactly what the Osprey comes with, minus the quick disconnect at the base, and (i'm presuming) the rigid and fitted back.

wannabee
    oops, I thought that was the bladder with the disconnect.

mtbr member
    Maybe this?

http://shop.katadyn.com/product/8014...&language_id=1

I don't know if it's any wider than the platypus, but it might be worth looking into. Keep us posted, I'm looking at one of the Raptors and I'd be interested in knowing what solution ends up working for you.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skullcap
    Maybe this?

http://shop.katadyn.com/product/8014...&language_id=1

I don't know if it's any wider than the platypus, but it might be worth looking into. Keep us posted, I'm looking at one of the Raptors and I'd be interested in knowing what solution ends up working for you.
    nice find! that could do the trick. there aren't any specs though.

mtbr member
    I know, maybe call customer service and see if they have any info? Surely they know what it fits and what it doesn't. I haven't gotten a Raptor yet so I don't know what the ID (inner diameter) of the tubing is.
    I'm enjoying my childhood way too much to ever give it up.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am also looking for a quick connect for Osprey packs.

This web site has what we are all looking for, but it has a minimum order of 10.

http://www.valueplastics.com/product...nnectMain.aspx

I am willing to put in an order if I get enough interest from others. Complet set mailed to your door for say $10 each?

wannabee

I use a Hydrapack bladder in my Osprey Talon pack. It has the sort of disconnect bit at the bladder you're asking about.