mtbr member
    Sep 2011

question about hardtails

My first mtb was a 2000 gary fisher joshua full suspension given to me by my neighbor last year. This year I bought a santa cruz tallboy LTc 29er which I love. I hated to see the GF go to waste so I bought a Flyxii fr 201 carbon frame and put as many of the parts from the GF over to it as possible and how have a carbon hardtail. I rode it for the first time today and noticed that the rear is really bouncy. Even on pavement I feel almost like Im pogoing. Im not sure if it is bouncing because of the tire or the springiness of the seat or even possibly the frame.

Is this bad pedaling technique from riding full suspensions or is this normal from a hardtail?

I do like the bike as it handles much better than the 29er. There are a lot of tight downhill switchbacks on one trail that I struggle to make on the 29er. I end up taking the very outermost line and sometimes have to brake to make the turns. You can see how the trail keeps getting wider as people barely make the turn. On the hardtail Im railing those turns at much higher speeds and am able to take a much tighter inside line. The bike feels more like a sports car while the 29er is more like a cadillac.

My biggest beef is the bounciness on pavement, the bounciness on the trail was expected and Im still trying to figure out the best pedaling position. Am I supposed to be slightly out of the seat vs. sitting and spinning?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Could be a tire pressure issue, how much are you running? As far as pedaling techique ,how fast are you spinning the pedals? You can get some bouncing with a fast spin.Most people feel more bouniness with a full susupnsion bike ,the Joshua's were pretty bouncey.Do you feel the bounciness all the time?I woundn't think it's the frame unless something is broken.

Only 5 lives left
    Agree with ^^ Check your seat height since bouncing while spinning the pedals quickly is due to having a seat that is too high. I'd go with it being caused by too low of a tire pressure.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    ok im used to running tubeless on the tallboy ltc so ive been running 23-25 in the rear. do i need more for a hardtail?

the tallboy has no bounce at all

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Definitely bad pedal technique, or a cracked frame.... 23-25 should be plenty. If you aren't pedaling and just bouncing up and down on it do you feel the so called "bounciness"?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You sure you're not just noticing the bumps in the road/trail more? Is there actually a noticeable oscillation after you hit a large bump that continues for a little while? Switching from a FS to a HT I definitely notice a lot more vertical movement through the pedals and seat (duh) but I wouldn't call it "bouncy". As other have suggested try smoothing out your pedal strokes and see if that helps.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    It could very well be pedaling technique. I know when I've ridden the FS for a long time and then jump on a HT, I feel bouncing. I think we subconsciously pedal harder when on a FS to overcome the energy sap and reach the pace we're used to seeing on the HT. Then we jump on the HT again and pedal hard like we're on the FS, making us bounce.

Or...maybe your rear tire isn't seated properly. I have a 26" WTB Laserdisc, and of 3 Nevegals I've tried, none ever seat completely. It's the weirdest thing. Other tires seat just fine on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy135 View Post
    Definitely bad pedal technique, or a cracked frame.... 23-25 should be plenty. If you aren't pedaling and just bouncing up and down on it do you feel the so called "bounciness"?
    there is only bounciness when Im pedaling. If I specifically try to bounce the rear feels springy. There are no aftershocks just a single bounce.

I was thinking it might be pedaling technique. I rode a bit on the street today, pedaling gently there is no bounciness.

I was thinking that road bumps should feel more firm, but it feels like there is a spring in the bike which softens bumps but makes the ride bouncy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatson View Post
    You sure you're not just noticing the bumps in the road/trail more? Is there actually a noticeable oscillation after you hit a large bump that continues for a little while? Switching from a FS to a HT I definitely notice a lot more vertical movement through the pedals and seat (duh) but I wouldn't call it "bouncy". As other have suggested try smoothing out your pedal strokes and see if that helps.
    Smoothing out the pedal strokes definitely reduces the bounce, but it doesnt feel right to pedal that way. If Im just going slow there is no bounce but If I really try to speed it up the rear starts bouncing.

It is either the seat itself (does feel a bit springy), the carbon frame flexing or the tires bouncing.

Im trying to figure out if this is normal and I just need to get used to it, or if it is bad technique . If it is bad technique, what exactly am I doing wrong?

It's about showing up.
    I know that this is not the current kool-aid but I think that 23-25 is the problem as that feels spongey to me. Just bounce in the saddle at a stand-still and look at the rear tire; beachballl city. Add that to a carbon frame..... :You may also just finally feel the difference between dampened suspension on the DS and the undampened spring of a HT's rear triangle and a tire. The 26 will also have more of a rockling horse action mitigated in a DS 29er.

I ride at 35 and ride steel and have for many years. I may careen off of things once in a while but for the other 99% of the pedaling contact is firm and drive is direct. That is all a part of riding a HT.
    I don't rattle.