Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The quest for best smartphone for MTB...

... I am up for an upgrade with Verizon Wireless so I started doing some research...

This is what I need:

1. Communication device for emergency and GPS location service - pretty much any phone
    2. Smartphone capable running a mapping software - Strava or other -on Android or Iphone
    3. Something lightweight and slim - I don't like having the phone on my backpack or bike pack, it's easier to have it in your pocket... but then I hate heavy object in my pockets when I ride.
    4. Camera to take pics - most phones these days.

Here is nice comparo of selected smartphones
    2012 Smartphone Comparison Guide

and the winner is:

IPHONE 5

No, I am not apple fanboi, I love my PC... but when it comes to dimensions/weight it is the most featherlight and slim. My wife has one and felt comfortable in my pocket when riding..

For everything else battery life etc. it's pretty much comparable to others...

mtbr member
    There is only ONE reason I keep my iphone instead of switching back to an amazing android device, and that reason is a map that has all my local trails listed (Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton).

Unfortunately it is not available for android, and the second it is I look forward to drop kicking my crapple into the ocean.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    There is only ONE reason I keep my iphone instead of switching back to an amazing android device, and that reason is a map that has all my local trails listed (Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton).

Unfortunately it is not available for android, and the second it is I look forward to drop kicking my crapple into the ocean.
    Have you checked out maprika?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm currently using my rugged and water resistant Motorola Defy Plus but it has a sucky camera. I'm looking at the Sony Xperia Go but I just don't know if it has a better camera. Both smartphones are rugged and water resistant and have 5MP cameras.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    I'm in the exact same boat. I'll be up for upgrading at the end of the month. I've lived my life thus far on a "dumb" phone. Or known by its historical name: a cell phone.

I can't speak much to which phone or protective case is best, but I would recommend finding an extra battery pack that's compatible with your phone. Two of my friends each have a Galaxy S3 and a Droid something or other. It's amazing how unpredictable the stock battery on each of them lasts, depending on whether they're running GPS maps / GPS ride tracker / camera / video / etc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I switched to the Iphone earlier this year. I had been using android, but they glitched so much and a new model came out every two weeks making my phone obsolete after a few weeks!! The iphone had a good rep and after several android phones, that was what I was after.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    +1 on Maprika.

The one part that kills the iphone for me is being able to carry a spare battery. My wife and I have identical HTC Incredibles. Small light and has all the features you mention although the camera is not as good as the iphone. But we have a Gopro for that.

Fat-tired Roadie
    OP - you're going to have a little bit of a fight to keep it running Google Maps, and the Apple map doesn't have bike trails. I rarely use that, but it's nice to have it there.

I've ended up mostly retiring my phone for GPS. I finally got a purpose-built training watch.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Samsung Galaxy Rugby LTE... Android 4.0, 1.5Ghz dual-core, 1 gig of ram, 5 gig internal storage, takes up to a 32gig microSD card, 5MP rear camera, 3MP front camera, Super AMOLED screen, mil-spec ratings for shock, dust and waterproof to 1 meter for a half hour (I'll see your water resistance and raise you standing in a creek fishing with your phone underwater in your shorts thigh-pocket). I already found a free GPS app for it that is good for riding, and the content can be transferred to a PC.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

usually cranky
    samsung galaxy s3 is better than an iphone in almost every way but the screen at almost 5'' is too big imo. the new droid razr looks really nice for biking.
    Last edited by b-kul; 01-04-2013 at 11:58 AM.

duh
    ^^ the motorola razor is thin and suppose to be good. Never used it but heard it is good

My friend has the htc amaze and likes it
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    OP - you're going to have a little bit of a fight to keep it running Google Maps, and the Apple map doesn't have bike trails. I rarely use that, but it's nice to have it there.

I've ended up mostly retiring my phone for GPS. I finally got a purpose-built training watch.
    google map app

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
    I switched to the Iphone earlier this year. I had been using android, but they glitched so much and a new model came out every two weeks making my phone obsolete after a few weeks!! The iphone had a good rep and after several android phones, that was what I was after.
    that was my experience with android phones, I am sure they got better now...

mtbr member
    Good point on the external battery, my longest mapped ride on Stava was 6 hours - I had 1/3 of battery left after. This was with occasional phone use for photos, text messaging and without shutting off network. I wonder if I could push the life further with battery saving measures, although I don't I will be riding much longer than 6 hours - maybe 7-8 for the race.

ALso good point on the ruggedness of the phone. I usually just use a glad sandwich bag for the phone, the waterproofing in AZ is not too much of an issue, but I may reconsider wearing it in my pocket. Keep it safe from crashes in my pack.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    google map app
    Friend of mine got switched back to the Apple maps program with the recent update to his tablet. Not sure if the iPhone is as creepy.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    OP - don't ride with anything in your short pockets. Heard some horror stories...
    Absolutely everything goes in the hydro pack.
    Including my iPhone.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Speaking of crash protection, my manager uses a LifeProof case on his iphone. It is very thin once it goes on, but is both waterproof and shock proof. He's always out on the job sites, and has dropped it beyond count. The biggest drop was from 7 feet up onto concrete off a ladder, and the phone worked fine. It's also completely submersible, but not that you're too worried about that, as you said.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I use a Galaxy S III and I love the damn thing. Of course, I despise Apple so that part is easy for me, but I don't know what you would want a phone to do, that the S III doesn't do. If you're worried about battery life, go on Amazon and get a bigger battery for like $23. I've never had a problem with mine lasting for the duration of my ride.

BTW, plus 1 on the nothing breakable in your pockets recommendation. That could get ugly AND PRICEY!
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

mtbr member
    This is gonna be my next phone once it drops. Kinda big for mtb but I'm adaptive and will make it work. Check the specs.
    HTC M7 - 4.7-inch 1080p display, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Sense 5
    http://phandroid.com/2012/12/17/htc-m7-detailed-rumor/

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Have not, but the maps I have list all the local trails with updates as to whats open/closed due to logging etc.

Will check into maprika if it opens up the android world for me!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    iPhone - all others are just imitations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by octavius View Post
    OP - don't ride with anything in your short pockets. Heard some horror stories...
    Absolutely everything goes in the hydro pack.
    Including my iPhone.
    wurd, I hate having things in my pocket when I ride anyway...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I use a lumia 822 with endomondo, great GPS and much better battery life then the iphone.

Good camera and windows phone os is a breath of fresh air. really like this phone.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    iPhone. Have had one since the 3Gs came out. It is the only phone that I can say that I have never ever had any kind of problem/glitch.....ever. With a Lifeproof case it is indestructable.

mtbr member
    Casio G'Zone Commando is what you want
    '11 Jedi
    '01 Straight8
    '01Rocket88< ran over it.. always do a full walk around!
    '00 Homegrown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast