Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Q. on BMX pegs (sweet!)

OK, so not only did I never ride BMX as a kid, I don't even know anyone that owns a BMX bike, but I've got a question about pegs. I have a cruiser with a standard 3/8" axle, and I'd like to install some pegs on the rear so my daughter can stand on 'em when we take the bike to the beach. Do I just get the threaded ones, since she only weighs like 60 pounds, or would I be better off with something else? I've got about 3/4" of axle extending beyond the axle nut on each side. That enough? And what's better in flip-flops, pegs or standers? Thx!
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

MTBiker
    Oct 2006
    Thats not very safe man lol
    We can bomb the world to pieces, but we can't bomb it into peace -Michael Franti

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It should work if that is what you want to do. I did ride bmx as a kid and we always rode on eachothers pegs. But now as an adult I would never put a child on my pegs (if I had them). I remember times when the guy riding would hit a bump and you go flying off the pegs. I just don't think it is a good idea. Why not get her a bike?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    That's not what I asked. I suppose that on some level I should be pleased that others are looking out for the safety of my daughter, but frankly I'm a bit offended that I don't get the benefit of doubt here. I'm gonna be piloting the bike and mindful of my precious cargo, so I'm not gonna put her at risk. Jeez, the greater risk is in driving to a Mexican beach. We're talking about riding on beach sand at low tide. I'm weighing the risk and concluding that it is far outweighed by what will be good memories of time spent with Dad on a bike, feeling freedom and breathing clean ocean air.
    - Grumpy Joe

Quote Originally Posted by kuksul08
    Thats not very safe man lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Welcome to mtbr where everyone knows whats better for you and yours than you do. Don't be offended, its just part of the territory.

There are mulitple different types of pegs. Some that thread on to the axle, some are simply held on by the nut. Cheap bolt-ons should work for you. You can buy them dirt cheap at big box stores. Remove the axle nut, slide the peg on, re-tighten the nut, Viola! Take a very close look at your drop-out prior to shopping. You may not have enough clearance for the diameter of the peg to seat up against the drop out. Make sure the nut is tight so the peg can't rotate on the axle. Look for the type that has a knurled/rough surface. That would provide better traction/footing for the passenger.

Have fun at the beach!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks very much for the advice; that's exactly the info I needed! Happy trails,
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by gdurt
    Welcome to mtbr where everyone knows whats better for you and yours than you do. Don't be offended, its just part of the territory.

There are mulitple different types of pegs. Some that thread on to the axle, some are simply held on by the nut. Cheap bolt-ons should work for you. You can buy them dirt cheap at big box stores. Remove the axle nut, slide the peg on, re-tighten the nut, Viola! Take a very close look at your drop-out prior to shopping. You may not have enough clearance for the diameter of the peg to seat up against the drop out. Make sure the nut is tight so the peg can't rotate on the axle. Look for the type that has a knurled/rough surface. That would provide better traction/footing for the passenger.

Have fun at the beach!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    That's not what I asked. I suppose that on some level I should be pleased that others are looking out for the safety of my daughter, but frankly I'm a bit offended that I don't get the benefit of doubt here. I'm gonna be piloting the bike and mindful of my precious cargo, so I'm not gonna put her at risk. Jeez, the greater risk is in driving to a Mexican beach. We're talking about riding on beach sand at low tide. I'm weighing the risk and concluding that it is far outweighed by what will be good memories of time spent with Dad on a bike, feeling freedom and breathing clean ocean air.
    - Grumpy Joe
    I don't know why you are offended. If someone wrote in asking what the best arrows to use to shoot an apple of of their daughters head, should I just respond with the best type of arrow and not tell them that its a bad idea? You do understand that axle pegs were made to do freestyle tricks, not to carry people.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe
    - Grumpy Joe
    Yeah, people here know what's best, and of course they don't do anything unsafe for the fun of it If you had asked what a good DH bike would be for your daughter to huck 10 footers with, no one would have expressed any concern for safety.