mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Purchasing help please

• Hello there, I am new to the MTB community and need some help with purchasing a new bike. My previous was a 2012 Giant Talon, but it was so uncomfortable so I sold it.

I have been to my local bikes shops. and test rode a few. Here is my question. Id like to have something with lockout, as well as hydraulic disc brakes. Should I really spend up to 1000$ on a bike? I will only be riding trails and free rides for the most part.

The bikes I have rode are the
      2013 Trek Mamba
      2013 Specialized Rockhopper comp
      2013 Cannondale Sl3

These are the bikes I am mainly interested in. Please, someone help me in deciding which bike would be the fit for me, considering Im not going to be doing much downhill or mountain type.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Quote Originally Posted by robroy1031 View Post
    • Hello there, I am new to the MTB community and need some help with purchasing a new bike. My previous was a 2012 Giant Talon, but it was so uncomfortable so I sold it.

I have been to my local bikes shops. and test rode a few. Here is my question. Id like to have something with lockout, as well as hydraulic disc brakes. Should I really spend up to 1000$ on a bike? I will only be riding trails and free rides for the most part.

The bikes I have rode are the
      2013 Trek Mamba
      2013 Specialized Rockhopper comp
      2013 Cannondale Sl3

These are the bikes I am mainly interested in. Please, someone help me in deciding which bike would be the fit for me, considering Im not going to be doing much downhill or mountain type.

I have a bad feeling about any of these being any more comfy than the Giant. Youve been to the LBS and sat on them but want our opinion? Ima guess you need to be on a hybrid or comfort bike. You can still take them offroad but theyre better suited for bike paths and much more comfortable to sit on. Have you looked at the other offerings from your LBS?
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    What was uncomfortable about your previous bike? It could be that you were on a bike that simply didn't fit you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Nobody knows what the best fit for you, or whether you should spend 1K on a MTB. That depends on your budget, how often you will be riding, and how much you enjoy the sport. I think its worth paying for a bike that cost 1k because typically, you get what you pay for and more expensive bikes are generally, though not always, more reliable and enjoyable to ride (aside from super light XC bikes that compromise durability for weight savings).

mtbr member
    They all will suit the use you describe, it just comes down to which one did you really like and which shop gave you the best vibe. I agree that typically, you get what you pay for and a $1000 bike will be very nice! So which did you like?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Fat-tired Roadie
    With all due respect - I don't understand your question. You said you wanted to ride on trails, but then you said you won't be doing much mountain.

What kind of trails are we talking about?

What did you do to try to get the Talon to work for you?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx