Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pump/BMX track on a FS 29er XC bike?

8K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  robert w 
#1 ·
I'm really interested in trying to learn some pump and BMX technique—partly because I have access to both a pump track and BMX track nearby.

I'm almost afraid to say it...but I can't afford to go buy a BMX bike right now (money is TIGHT at the moment)...unless I can find one for $50 or less...so I'm wondering...

Would it be totally pointless and waste of time to show up at a pump track or BMX track on my full-suspension XC 29er? (Would I be laughed at hysterically by everyone?)

Or can you actually learn stuff on tracks on a full-size mountain bike?

Some of the vids and other sources online talk about how you can apply pump technique out on the trail...so considering that, it seems like it wouldn't necessarily be a crime to show up to a track with one.

My main purpose is to improve my XC-MTB technique...but I could definitely see getting more into pump/BMX in the future (and getting the right tool for the job).

Thanks!
Scott

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I've been riding my hardtail 29er on the local pump track occasionally for last six months and no one has laughed yet. I haven't tried it yet on the BMX track so I couldn't say about that.

I've been able to apply the pump technique to "whoop-de-doos" and bermed corners out on the trail. There's about a 1/4-1/2 mile section of rollers on a nearby trail that I don't even pedal once on anymore. There's a section of bermed downhill switchbacks on another nearby trail that I can fly down now. Neither of those things were true before I started hitting the pump track.

That being said, there's an eight year old kid on a 16" bike that puts everyone else to shame on that pump track. Smaller wheels are definitely an advantage there!

#6 ·
Go for it, you'll have a great time and should definitely be able to pick up skills. Your bike may not be ideal, but will still work fine and be fun. I would just lower your seat, add some stiffness (air/compression/lockout whichever your bike has) to your shock and fork while your there, and if you want perhaps throw on a pair of flat pedals if you have any. BMX tracks, skate parks and skills parks are really intimidating when you haven't been, but usually are really friendly and family oriented once you actually go.

#7 ·
If the track allow you to bring your bike then go and have fun. Drop your seat and flat pedal firm up your suspension compression so you the bike is not doggin you everytime you hit the roller. I hit the BMX track with my ridgid ss 29er set up before with the full face helmet(so I can fit in:)) most riders there were 10yr old. Oh you are wrong about a full size bike on the track, with 29er it's an oversize bike on the track, and you can learn a lot especially cornering lean a lot on 29er is a religious experience. Have a ball.

#8 ·
I can remember laughing at MTBers at the BMX track when I was younger, but everyone is still more than friendly. Unless you're getting in the way of gate practice then everyone is just there to have fun and couldn't care less what you ride.

#9 ·
From a bike standpoint, the bmx track (and surely the pump track) will let you ride. Give it a try and see how it works. From experience, I will say a mtb is ridable on a bmx track, but not near as fun as on a true bmx bike. But ride what you have - everybody starts that way.
From the people standpoint, I started bmx racing at age 45, and wondered whether I would get laughed at just for showing up - and I was really lousy when i started. As noted above, the bmx crowd is generally pretty easy going.... introduce yourself around and make friends. Ask questions. They will help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.