View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Giro?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Gear-oh"

    24 32.43%
  • "Gyro"

    45 60.81%
  • "Year-oh"

    5 6.76%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    What's your Alias?
    Reputation: szedhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    190

    New question here. The pronunciation of Giro?

    OK, so I have some biking friends and we always argue about the pronunciation of Giro.

    I say it's "year-oh", they say it's "gyro". The LBS guys all say it different, so no help there.

    So, I need your votes!

  2. #2
    Am I getting too bulky?
    Reputation: Bikehigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    801
    jear-oh with a soft jay, sort of like zsjear-oh

    gear-oh is some tasty Greek lamb type stuff

    jyro is a spinning wheel
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mthedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    483
    jear-oh with a soft jay, sort of like zsjear-oh
    Spot on. Sort of Italian-ish pronounciation
    Darkness warshed over the Dude--darker'n a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night.

  4. #4
    A Real Winner.
    Reputation: sonyisdope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    863
    Are we talking about the sandwich or the helmet? I've given up on what other people think, and I always say "Jai-Ro." People always know what I am getting at.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FlatFender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    662
    Jeer-ro

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: m1ke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    jear-oh with a soft jay, sort of like zsjear-oh

    gear-oh is some tasty Greek lamb type stuff

    jyro is a spinning wheel

    The Greek sandwich is pronounced yee-ro.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation: Drewdane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    6,074
    Bell.

  8. #8
    What's your Alias?
    Reputation: szedhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    190

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Bell.
    Only the Sweep. But I prefer the Atmos.

  9. #9
    BicycleBuys.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27
    It's "Jeer-Oh", a rep from bell came in the other day and cleared that up for me while showing off that ugly ass KOM helmet

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigbore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    363
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=giro

    doesnt matter how the guy says it, doesnt even matter how the president of giro says giro, the actual proper pronunciation must follow the one in the dictionary.

    giro like a giroscope

  11. #11
    BicycleBuys.com
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27
    I see nothing about a helmet manufacturer in the dictionary buddy. If homeboy from the company says its to be pronounced like that, then it shall be.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JohnnyTooBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=giro

    doesnt matter how the guy says it, doesnt even matter how the president of giro says giro, the actual proper pronunciation must follow the one in the dictionary.

    giro like a giroscope
    That would assume it's an English word. It's not. Ever of the Giro d'Italia? It's Eye-Talian, and pronounced jee-ro. It means "around". The Giro d'Italia goes "around Italy" (it's a loose translation). A Giro helmet goes "around" your head. Makes, sense, eh?

  13. #13
    Interlectchewal
    Reputation: tvrbob86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,150
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbore
    giro like a giroscope
    Is that anything like a gyroscope?

  14. #14
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,709
    Yeah, the confusion surrounding the pronunciation of Giro has always baffled me... the helmet is named after a famous Italian bike race. Why would it be anything else but the Italian pronunciation... jee-ro?

    If I launched a helmet line called Tour, you would be safe to assume that it was pronounced like Tour de France, but I am sure some bonehead would pronounce it Tower or something.

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad
    That would assume it's an English word. It's not. Ever of the Giro d'Italia? It's Eye-Talian, and pronounced jee-ro. It means "around". The Giro d'Italia goes "around Italy" (it's a loose translation). A Giro helmet goes "around" your head. Makes, sense, eh?

  15. #15
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad
    That would assume it's an English word. It's not. Ever of the Giro d'Italia? It's Eye-Talian, and pronounced jee-ro. It means "around". The Giro d'Italia goes "around Italy" (it's a loose translation). A Giro helmet goes "around" your head. Makes, sense, eh?
    ding, ding we have a winner!

  16. #16
    What's your Alias?
    Reputation: szedhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    190
    I like your explanation!

  17. #17
    I Have Gnarly Potential
    Reputation: Krause's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    341
    Jee-ro to be correct, Gyro if you want people to know what your talkin about.

  18. #18
    bang
    Reputation: Cyco-Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,290
    lol, so we have 32 people who voted, and 32 people who don't pronouce it correctly! johnny hit the nail on the head. the webster audio pronunciations would be correct here. probably the second one is best.

  19. #19
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyco-Dude
    lol, so we have 32 people who voted, and 32 people who don't pronouce it correctly!
    Probably because "jeer-o" wasn't one of the choices. Maybe there should have been an "other" category eh?

  20. #20
    Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,096
    Ok, how about SUGINO.

    Is it "su-geeno" (like Sue-Jean-o or "sug-ino" (like bug-N-o)

  21. #21
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,540
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhound
    Ok, how about SUGINO.

    Is it "su-geeno" (like Sue-Jean-o or "sug-ino" (like bug-N-o)
    I'd go with the first one

  22. #22
    I'm a unitard!
    Reputation: mtbfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewdane
    Bell.
    For some reason, that really cracked me up. My co-workers were looking at me all funny like.

  23. #23
    What's your Alias?
    Reputation: szedhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    190

    Hope My bad...

    Quote Originally Posted by Khemical
    Probably because "jeer-o" wasn't one of the choices. Maybe there should have been an "other" category eh?
    My fault. After I posted I realized I missed one. Sorry.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigbore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    363
    doesnt matter that the company is italian, so do you say Polska when reffering to Poland? Do you say Deuchland when you reffer to Germany? Do you say Ikea eye-key-a or do you say i-keea (long e and a short i) If you see Giro and your english and you live in an english society its giro, not jeero.

    again doesnt matter how the president himself calls it, he can come up to you and see welcome to jeer-ho and you can say, well jeer all you want but dont call me a ho.

  25. #25
    Takw/agranofsalt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,540
    .....
    Last edited by NorKal; 09-08-2006 at 12:55 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •