mtbr member

Professional Bike Fits worth the $$'s

I"m trying to decide whether a professional bike fit is worth the money. I have lower back/hip pain when riding and have tried PT. So far nothing is solving the problem and the PT recommended a professional fit to make sure my bike isn't causing the problem. I am curious if people have opinions on whether it's worth having a professional bike fit with 3-D computer analysis.

It's pricy, but would be worth the money if it alleviated my pain.

What are people's experiences with it?

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Yes, but make sure you find a place that comes with good recommendations.

Yo.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy
    Yes, but make sure you find a place that comes with good recommendations.
    Computers are only as good as the people running them. As a PT who has also done his share of bike fits, I would advise you to get some recommendations and then start making some calls. Don't be afraid to ask if the fitter has had prior experience with your specific set of problems and if they would mind giving some contact info for references. Then you can get a more realistic idea if the fit did what it was supposed to do from someone who, if not in the same boat as you, was in a similar situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I paid 50 buck for a bike fit and would'nt do it again. Although i think it also depends greatly on who is doing the fitting. Mine seemed rather arcaic and really gave me little insight other than what i already new simply from trying out different bikes.

Beasley
    do you already have the bike?? or are you planning on buying it now?? my lbs offers free fitting to any bike that you buy there.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    I second Slow Eddie's advice.

I'll add, since it appears you are in Colorado, that you should check out Sports Garage. Talk to Chris; he's a Serotta master fitter and a good, honest guy.

I haven't personally had a need to have one of the extensive fits done (the standard bike purchase fits are so thorough there and I have no pain or other issues), but I trust Chris and I think he'd be straightforward with you about what he can offer for your situation.

http://sportsgarage.net/

If you go tell him Trinity sent you in (I get nothing out of this, BTW, but he likes to joke that I'm a walking billboard. Easy to do when the shop is so good.)

mtbr member
    My bike shop did it for free when I bought my bike. However, I changed it up after I started experiencing hip pain. I don't think I would do it again.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Being young is great, I've found almost all fits have been comfortable or at least tolerable, then again the mileage on some of the positions of tried are only around 30 miles or so. I'm a little worried about what is to come in 20 years though... especially since I'll probably be due for a new knee in that time, football injuries suck. Sorry about the fact that I didn't have much to offer.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    I found a real professional bike fit to be very valuable. I have had the free fit with bike purchase thing but the real bike fit is a very different process and bike shops cannot afford to have the equipment or take the time to do this as a free thing.

Worth every penny when done right. Mine took about 1.5 hours to do and the result changed my cycling!
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll go for it. I live in C-springs so I'm going to follow up with Carmichael Training Systems. The Sports Garage has a great web-site but Boulder is a decent drive compared to a local shop.

Drew

mtbr member
    I've struggled with knee problems ever since I tried to ride the STP (Seattle to Portland) ride in one day. Messed up my knee pretty good.

Since then, I've always struggled with knee pains and it really limited my riding.

Last year I got a professional fit from qualified guy that went through the Specizlized training. Yeah, cameras and computers and all that jazz. It was worth $150.

In any case, they got me dialed in and my knee pain was gone. I bought a new mtn bike this year from a different bike shop and they did the typical fitting. Close, but no cigar. I had to go back to the other shop and pay them to fit the new bike, my shoes, cleats, etc to me again. I paid $75, but they gave me the $75+ version of the fitting.

Knee pain gone. I'm ripping it again.

I'm 39 with two kids.